Northern trains

They only ever have two carriages on, even on matchdays, when the trains get full very quickly.
On Saturday, we were jammed in like sardines and the train was full to capacity when it left Hartlepool.
Those people waiting to get the train at Seaham, had no chance of boarding the train.
It was worse on Saturday, because the Grand Central, which was scheduled to leave H/pool at 11:15am, was cancelled.
Bearing this in mind, I expected a couple of extra carriages, on the 11am Northern train; out of H/pool, but the train arrived with just the usual two carriages, which resulted in lots of people at H/pool station, unable to get on the train.

They only ever have two carriages on, even on matchdays, when the trains get full very quickly.
On Saturday, we were jammed in like sardines and the train was full to capacity when it left Hartlepool.
Those people waiting to get the train at Seaham, had no chance of boarding the train.
It was worse on Saturday, because the Grand Central, which was scheduled to leave H/pool at 11:15am, was cancelled.
Bearing this in mind, I expected a couple of extra carriages, on the 11am Northern train; out of H/pool, but the train arrived with just the usual two carriages, which resulted in lots of people at H/pool station, unable to get on the train.

Actually not true

Towards the end of last season they regularly had four carriages on after 30 years of
Traveling with them thought they'd seen the light even last week for the friendly match they had 4 on
Then back to their usual shitty self how much revenue they must lose on Saturday must be staggering

Actually not true

Towards the end of last season they regularly had four carriages on after 30 years of
Traveling with them thought they'd seen the light even last week for the friendly match they had 4 on
Then back to their usual shitty self how much revenue they must lose on Saturday must be staggering
Four carriages is rare though.
Even during the run up to Christmas, when the trains are crammed with loads of shoppers, heading to the Metro centre, and fans heading to the match, they still mainly persist with just two carriages.
I always try to get on the 11:15 Grand Central out of H/pool on a matchday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daft thing was the mags were at home too on the way back 4 got off at Seaham they got roundly booed too lol
Spot on.
A rare occasion when we're both playing at home on the same day, and still they put only two carriages on.
Makes you wonder where their brains are.

Spot on.
A rare occasion when we're both playing at home on the same day, and still they put only two carriages on.
Makes you wonder where their brains are.

Yet when you complain to them they give free tickets for your next journey so more revenue lost lol

Best part when the strike was on last season we caught the x10 or 9 up to peterlee or Dalton heights nee bother
Free wifi etc just nee toilets that was the only draw back otherwise we'd use the busses all the time

Yet when you complain to them they give free tickets for your next journey so more revenue lost lol

Best part when the strike was on last season we caught the x10 or 9 up to peterlee or Dalton heights nee bother
Free wifi etc just nee toilets that was the only draw back otherwise we'd use the busses all the time
I'm not sure, but I think the trains are off on the 24th & 25th of this month.
If that's the case, then depending on the number of people interested, it'll either be a mini bus up to the Wimbledon game or a normal bus up to Sunderland.

Actually not true

Yes, I regularly use Northern trains and I’ve seen them put additional carriages on when their services are busier than usual, a number of times. They’re actually one of the few train operating companies who do this. Most don’t have the stock.
Four carriages is rare though.
Even during the run up to Christmas, when the trains are crammed with loads of shoppers, heading to the Metro centre, and fans heading to the match, they still mainly persist with just two carriages.
I always try to get on the 11:15 Grand Central out of H/pool on a matchday.
It’s mostly down to the availability of additional rolling stock. To be fair to Northern, I’ve seen them add extra carriages where necessary on a reasonably consistent basis.

Last edited:
Yes, I regularly use Northern trains and I’ve seen them put additional carriages on when their services are busier than usual, a number of times. They’re actually one of the few train operating companies who do this. Most don’t have the stock.

It’s mostly down to the availability of additional rolling stock. To be fair to Northern, I’ve seen them add extra carriages where necessary on a reasonably consistent basis.

That's what they say

Back