Northern trains

I got the half 5 back and I’ve never seen so many police/security on the platform before. Must have been expecting. Bother?

Free journey yesterday mate?

The rolling stock issue is the standard reply. If I was boarding from Seaton Carew onwards I would never buy a ticket. The conductor can never get round to check them.

They must be losing a fortune

itll be worse in the run up to Christmas always has been

Have to agree it's blatantly piss taking from Northern Rail. Most definitely not a stock issue

Even if there are stock issues, common sense would tell you to use your 4 carriage train(s) when they know there’ll be shitloads of extra people compared to normal from Teesside through East Durham wanting to get on the train during a couple hour window either side of the match.

Even if there are stock issues, common sense would tell you to use your 4 carriage train(s) when they know there’ll be shitloads of extra people compared to normal from Teesside through East Durham wanting to get on the train during a couple hour window either side of the match.

Aren't the 4 carriage trains, generally the ones going to and from Whitby? 2 carriages go to and from Saltburn. You generally see the 4 carriages on a Sunday, when due to reduced timetable anyway. it frees up unused rolling stock.

itll be worse in the run up to Christmas always has been
We are going to Scumsville Sat 12th November. It’s my daughters 40th and she wants to go to a restaurant up there. We want to go up early afternoon.
The Scum are home to Chelsea 530pm kick off. No way are we relying on the train.
8 of us going in a mini bus from BWH £170 return. Paid for by me 😳😩

What can be done about this? Its an insult to NE folk.

Direct action, boycott them, block the line etc. Obviously in the short term you might not be able to get where you are going, but think it would bring the situation to the fore, get media attention, and then hopefully improvements in the long term.

Aren't the 4 carriage trains, generally the ones going to and from Whitby? 2 carriages go to and from Saltburn. You generally see the 4 carriages on a Sunday, when due to reduced timetable anyway. it frees up unused rolling stock.
Yeah been at Thornaby station a few times (on a Sunday morning), when a 4carriage train comes in and splits.
2 carriages become the Whitby train, and the other 2 go to Saltburn.

Oi, have you blocked me from pming you ?
Not at all.
For one thing, I wouldn't know how to.
And more to the point, in all seriousness, I wouldn't want to.
I've said before, I've nowt against you or your club - I really don't take what gets said on ANY message board seriously/to heart.

We couldn't get on the two carriage 11;41 from Central, it was mobbed, so opted for the Metro to Heworth, and replacement bus service, Meant a longer journey time obviously but a lot more civilised than Northern service, and I know it's been asked before but why don't Northern add more carriages..especially when Metro timetables are restricted..
I managed to get that one, luckily it was delayed, I’d been down to Chester-le-street for parkrun, the 11:02 TPE to Central was delayed by about 20 mins (late running train in front), got back to Central with about 3 mins spare, saw platform 11, then saw it was delayed. Managed to squeeze on but it was pretty much packed out.

I left the ground when we conceded the 4th goal, and made it just in time for the 17:03 Northern Rail service to Whitby (I'd initially booked a seat on the 17:30 Grand Central, but just wanted to get home asap, after that 2nd half collapse)
There was 4 carriages and plenty of spare seats on 17:03 train, and luckily nobody came to check the tickets.

I left the ground when we conceded the 4th goal, and made it just in time for the 17:03 Northern Rail service to Whitby (I'd initially booked a seat on the 17:30 Grand Central, but just wanted to get home asap, after that 2nd half collapse)
There was 4 carriages and plenty of spare seats on 17:03 train, and luckily nobody came to check the tickets.
Knowing very few fans would make that train I really do suspect somebodys taking the piss with 4 carriages.

I got an survey email sent from northern about fare evasion. They must know thousands aren’t buying tickets. Customers won’t start until they are sure that they’ll actually get on the train.

Worth the risk of not buying. Unless you get a jobsworth conductor

Northern is a bit of a mess, not just up here but across well....the North.

There is an issue with lack of rolling stock - Heaton literally has what it has and can barely operate its current services. There's also a lack of shunters across at Heaton which is impacting things (like refuelling)

What is spare normally is spare because it needs a service/maintenance.

They are really missing the Pacers and the capacity they provided and it made no sense to remove them - you could have easily bolted some onto the 156/8's running but political grandstanding got rid. They're losing drivers and conductors left, right and centre as well as us LNER lot and LUMO/TPE make a play to plug their gaps.

It's entirely the Governments fault, they are running Northern on a shoestring and currently paying out circa £80k a month in delay repay

I got an survey email sent from northern about fare evasion. They must know thousands aren’t buying tickets. Customers won’t start until they are sure that they’ll actually get on the train.

Worth the risk of not buying. Unless you get a jobsworth conductor
Is the price more to buy on board and could you be fined?

Back