Northern trains

If your ticket was only to Exeter then he was right and you could have been issued with a penalty fare since you had boarded the Exeter-Exmouth train without a valid ticket. You should have bought an Exeter-Exmouth ticket, either online or from the guard on the Paddington-Exeter train, before boarding the Exmouth train. Or, as you say, you should have gone through the barrier at Exeter, bought your ticket to Exmouth from the machine/office there, and then gone back in.

For those interested, railforums.co.uk is a goldmine of useful information on all aspects of the railway, including ticketing and routing, and help and advice as to when you can and can’t board without a ticket, claiming delay repay, refunds, etc, etc.

If your ticket was only to Exeter then he was right and you could have been issued with a penalty fare since you had boarded the Exeter-Exmouth train without a valid ticket. You should have bought an Exeter-Exmouth ticket, either online or from the guard on the Paddington-Exeter train, before boarding the Exmouth train. Or, as you say, you should have gone through the barrier at Exeter, bought your ticket to Exmouth from the machine/office there, and then gone back in.

For those interested, railforums.co.uk is a goldmine of useful information on all aspects of the railway, including ticketing and routing, and help and advice as to when you can and can’t board without a ticket, claiming delay repay, refunds, etc, etc.
Stop being an arsehole, I went up to him and asked for a ticket on the train. If you want to be pedantic about it, why should I have to leave the train station to buy a ticket when I am already in the station.

OMG, are you a ticket inspector?

South West trains are not much better. I travelled from London Paddington to Exeter St Davids, I had to go on to Exmouth, so got on the train to Exmouth. Asked the ticket bloke for a ticket to Exmouth while on the train, he looked very upset, "How did you get in the station?" "I got off the train from London Paddington", "Why didnt you buy a ticket?" "Going to the ticket machine would have meant I would have had to go through the barriers to leave the station to come back in" "I will let you off this time, but I could have fined you" WTAF :)
Most train staff have never had their willys touched.

Fact.

Stop being an arsehole, I went up to him and asked for a ticket on the train. If you want to be pedantic about it, why should I have to leave the train station to buy a ticket when I am already in the station.

OMG, are you a ticket inspector?
No, I’m not a ticket inspector and I’m not trying to be an arsehole either, I was simply explaining why he would have been within his rights to issue you a penalty fare and what you should have done to make sure you were covered. I use the trains a fair amount and thanks to the aforementioned rail forums I know quite a bit about the ins and outs of ticketing, when you can and can’t buy on board, when you can and can’t be penalty fared (or prosecuted), etc, etc……the long and the short of it is you didn’t have a valid ticket for the Exeter-Exmouth train and you’d passed an opportunity to pay, ie buying one at Exeter, so in railway terms you committed an offence. No doubt if he HAD given you a penalty fare you’d have been on here complaining about how he was a complete arsehole for not selling you a ticket.

But if you don’t want some helpful advice on how to avoid being caught out in future, which was delivered with friendly intention, well that’s up to you.
The problem is that the railway ticketing system is so complex in some areas and aspects that’s it’s very easy to end up being penalty fares for making what most people would see as a genuine or honest mistake.

Last edited:
Afternoon! I’ve still got 3 spare seats on a minibus from Stockton and billingham this Saturday. Leaving the station pub (Stockton) at 10:30am then onto the Swan in Billingham for roughly 10:45am, then onto Sunderland. If there’s any interest please PM me, the more full the bus is the cheaper it is for everyone :)
EDIT: 2 seats left to fill now ^

Last edited:
this is the 1st 2 paragraphs from that BBC link

" A series of strikes by railway workers planned for 5, 7 and 9 November has been suspended, the RMT union has said.

But Network Rail warned that the late notice meant services on Saturday would remain "extremely limited", and trains on Monday are likely to be affected. "

So it actually tells people nothing with regards to individual services tomorrow.

this is the 1st 2 paragraphs from that BBC link

" A series of strikes by railway workers planned for 5, 7 and 9 November has been suspended, the RMT union has said.

But Network Rail warned that the late notice meant services on Saturday would remain "extremely limited", and trains on Monday are likely to be affected. "

So it actually tells people nothing with regards to individual services tomorrow.
I agree mate 👍

Anyone know if the trains are now running tomorrow?

No service

'We are aware that RMT has withdrawn its strike action for November 5, 7 and 9. We can confirm that the much-reduced service strike timetable will still run on Saturday 5 November and likely Monday 7 November due to the complexities involved in reverting back to a full-timetable. We continue to advise customers not to travel on these days'

No service

'We are aware that RMT has withdrawn its strike action for November 5, 7 and 9. We can confirm that the much-reduced service strike timetable will still run on Saturday 5 November and likely Monday 7 November due to the complexities involved in reverting back to a full-timetable. We continue to advise customers not to travel on these days'

Driving it is then.

No service

😳😳
But they’re available to Run the Service (on overtime) on the Sunday in between!

The northern website shows some TBY>SUN services as running today. Yet national rail doesn’t show any?!

Hardly a surprise that they aren’t making things easy for customers

They only ever have two carriages on, even on matchdays, when the trains get full very quickly.
On Saturday, we were jammed in like sardines and the train was full to capacity when it left Hartlepool.
Those people waiting to get the train at Seaham, had no chance of boarding the train.
It was worse on Saturday, because the Grand Central, which was scheduled to leave H/pool at 11:15am, was cancelled.
Bearing this in mind, I expected a couple of extra carriages, on the 11am Northern train; out of H/pool, but the train arrived with just the usual two carriages, which resulted in lots of people at H/pool station, unable to get on the train.
The entire public transport system is a joke. It's going backwards not forwards. Trains and buses. They want you to leave your car and use public transport, what a joke, half the time the bus doesn't turn up at all let alone turn up on time.
Vote Labour. only way it will ever be sorted out.

Railway bosses took dividends of £1.2 billion last year.
Labour, what have they ever done except make things even worse. Look at the state of the town, it's a dump.

Last edited:

Back