North East Punk

• Thread starter Deleted member 14766
  • Start date
No interest these days ,big part of my youth but left it there .Still see Patty and have a natter,was in a band with him in the 90s ,didn't come to now t

Remember your dad practising with baz at pete doods place ...Troubleshooters I think ?
I used to see Olga around when my band practiced at Pere’s (Is he still running that place?). As absolutely mental as he was on stage he was a very quiet and polite lad in ‘normal life’ - always cheerful and a bit shy. He’s done well like.

I used to see Olga around when my band practiced at Pere’s (Is he still running that place?). As absolutely mental as he was on stage he was a very quiet and polite lad in ‘normal life’ - always cheerful and a bit shy. He’s done well like.
Never been down there for years ,Pete will be getting on now .Nice bloke .

I saw the Showbiz Kids at Newcastle Mayfair sometime in the late 70's. I think they were supporting The Dickies. Ended up working with one of them at Marketforce down Hendon about 18 months later. Can't remember which one though.

Acts of Defiance was a fanzine made by Russ and Mick Dunbar and Raf Mulla..amongst others..they used to flog it at Tommy Hairs punk disco in the Ivy house on a Thursday night.

I know Russ, Mick & the leg end that is @Jonny G. Was in the same year at school with Christie. I think he was in a band called the Mental Pickups who played at Gilley Law youth club once or twice.

My introduction to Punk was at George Street Youth Club in Birtley. The After Effects.... i think they peaked with a headline performance at Barley Mow Village Hall.

I saw the Showbiz Kids at Newcastle Mayfair sometime in the late 70's. I think they were supporting The Dickies. Ended up working with one of them at Marketforce down Hendon about 18 months later. Can't remember which one though.

I know Russ, Mick & the leg end that is @Jonny G. Was in the same year at school with Christie. I think he was in a band called the Mental Pickups who played at Gilley Law youth club once or twice.

I worked down the yards with Christie..as just posted I was talking to him in Hot Rats a few weeks back..top lad and still daft as a brush.

Down here in Deep South I loved the stranglers... Started as a punk band .. Made some money .. Then went mainstream... Still not sure if I have forgiven them for that ..but they new how to play their instruments ... Proper.. If not sticking to my vision of punk... I always enjoyed their music...
Started as a pub rock band, like most punk bands, pub rock was quite a big scene back then.

The band I used to follow.. 'Disorder' from Town End Farm..they supported the Revillos at Sunderland Poly..there's pictures of them with the Revillos on a site called 'Bored Teenagers' but it won't let you copy them..anyway while the Revillos were on stage one of the Disorder lads..rumour had it 'Leroy' the bass player..went into the Revillos dressing room and had a shite in the sink..apparently when singer Fay Fife went back in and saw the turd she ordered the band out and stormed off in a right huff.

I was at that gig, I remember Revillos threating to walk off stage as people at the front were spitting on them.

Started as a pub rock band, like most punk bands, pub rock was quite a big scene back then.
Aye I remember reading a book by Anne Nightingale ages ago in which she was discussing punk, and kept saying that the ‘elite’ punks were all about amateurism and DIY (remember the t shirt? ‘Here are three chords - now go and start a band!’) but that The Stranglers and other pub rock bands were always good musicians and Dave Greenfield’s keyboards sound an awful lot like The Doors.
Strangely she also kept going on about how Punk knocked the jeans market for six as punks thought jeans were for boring old hippies. That must have been a London thing as I certainly never heard anything like it oop north and ripped jeans with bike jacket was part of the Syd / Ramones look.

My dad is Mr Scott the original drummer of The Toy Dolls when they formed around 1979

Could tell you countless of stories hes told me about what they used to get up to and also ones about Baz Warne (Stranglers) as he and my dad were in bands together and best mates for years before his stranglers days
Found this pic of me dad, Olga and Flip in the very early days of the Dolls
Logon or register to see this image

Is your old man still playing with Feed the Bear ?
They were a canny turn down the smugglers a few years back.

Aye I remember reading a book by Anne Nightingale ages ago in which she was discussing punk, and kept saying that the ‘elite’ punks were all about amateurism and DIY (remember the t shirt? ‘Here are three chords - now go and start a band!’) but that The Stranglers and other pub rock bands were always good musicians and Dave Greenfield’s keyboards sound an awful lot like The Doors.
Strangely she also kept going on about how Punk knocked the jeans market for six as punks thought jeans were for boring old hippies. That must have been a London thing as I certainly never heard anything like it oop north and ripped jeans with bike jacket was part of the Syd / Ramones look.
The '...now form a band' thing was originally a quote from Sideburns fanzine. Can't remember many local fanzines although there were a few. If anyone still has any clogging up their loft they'd probably be just up the OPs street.

Is your old man still playing with Feed the Bear ?
They were a canny turn down the smugglers a few years back.
wey nah, hes drumming with me now in our band Lock N Load, canny experience sharing the stage with me fatha, both know exactly what our expectations are in from getting gigs to the gig itself.

My first ever memory of him gigging was with feed the bear down the Ropery. We've actually had Ben Bear dep for us a few times.

Last edited:
The '...now form a band' thing was originally a quote from Sideburns fanzine. Can't remember many local fanzines although there were a few. If anyone still has any clogging up their loft they'd probably be just up the OPs street.

I think it was from "sniffin glue" fanzine, by mark perry?

some great memories on here and great to see it get back on track, after a false start ;) keep the stories coming please!

Back