North East Punk

• Thread starter Deleted member 14766
  • Start date
I saw the Showbiz Kids at Newcastle Mayfair sometime in the late 70's. I think they were supporting The Dickies. Ended up working with one of them at Marketforce down Hendon about 18 months later. Can't remember which one though.

I know Russ, Mick & the leg end that is @Jonny G. Was in the same year at school with Christie. I think he was in a band called the Mental Pickups who played at Gilley Law youth club once or twice.
I thank you kind sir xx

Being from CLS and basically zero punk scene we used to head into Sunderland and Newcastle to catch bands and hang around, Sunderland in the main as Tuesday and Thursdays at Heroes were good nights, usually bands such as Genocide Exit would be playing. Saw Disorder numerous times, got a ticket for a Continental gig still inside one of their singles I have, another single has the typed out lyrics in it.
Used to hang out around the Durham Book Centre and bought me badges and posters there, got the album and still listen to it since I ripped it down to play in the car. The New Record Inn next to the Old 29 was good for picking up second hand records.
A few years ago I ripped all my vinyl for local bands and uploaded it and shared the link on here, was some good stuff from other bands such as The Cult (local lads, not the gothy fuckas), Genocide Exit, Total Chaos (from Gateshead?), Disorder, The Crime, Red Alert etc.

I can't remember any of the people behind the scenes or the ones who organised it and not being the most outgoing person at the time I never really mixed with the locals but used to see the same faces and got the 'nod' now and again from the regulars. I remember there was a lad from Seaham who used to be the singer in the Crime, he used to hang about all the time, two lasses from Shiney (I think) who looked similar, short black hair with dark red in it, one had quite a limp. People like that seemed to be everywhere you went at that time, good times.

Being from CLS and basically zero punk scene we used to head into Sunderland and Newcastle to catch bands and hang around, Sunderland in the main as Tuesday and Thursdays at Heroes were good nights, usually bands such as Genocide Exit would be playing. Saw Disorder numerous times, got a ticket for a Continental gig still inside one of their singles I have, another single has the typed out lyrics in it.
Used to hang out around the Durham Book Centre and bought me badges and posters there, got the album and still listen to it since I ripped it down to play in the car. The New Record Inn next to the Old 29 was good for picking up second hand records.
A few years ago I ripped all my vinyl for local bands and uploaded it and shared the link on here, was some good stuff from other bands such as The Cult (local lads, not the gothy fuckas), Genocide Exit, Total Chaos (from Gateshead?), Disorder, The Crime, Red Alert etc.

I can't remember any of the people behind the scenes or the ones who organised it and not being the most outgoing person at the time I never really mixed with the locals but used to see the same faces and got the 'nod' now and again from the regulars. I remember there was a lad from Seaham who used to be the singer in the Crime, he used to hang about all the time, two lasses from Shiney (I think) who looked similar, short black hair with dark red in it, one had quite a limp. People like that seemed to be everywhere you went at that time, good times.

Those singles are quite valuable these days..i sold mine (with a heavy heart) to a collector from Consett a couple of years back...the two lasses you mention were 'Meg and Trudy'..proper stalwarts of the local scene.
Wasn't Roughy busy doing such a book before he died. Think it was called There's a Riot Gannen On

I used to knock about with Mark back in the day..lost touch a bit with him later on but i'm sure there was a book in the pipeline..he was still posting on FB only days before his death.

Last edited:
The link still kicking around?

Pete Howard was the singer from the Crime.

Brought back some memories :)
Revillo's gig was stopped by Eugene who was covered in spit. The words were along the lines "if you don't stop spitting..........we walking". It got worse :)
Cult,I remember seeing rehearse in the church in millfield. Singer had a budgie cage as a mike stand :) Unfortunately I cannot remember if Donk was the singer,but he definitely played guitar. I gave him my copy of their single around 15yr ago & he was almost in tears. It .It may have been "Always lose my temper"
Disorder I saw several times with their best being "Air Raid".
Remember Midge from Red Alert & also going to see the Dickies with him.
Remember the lad from Doxy who always wore a German helmet & jacket.
Saturday's was the town meet up.
Upstarts at Boilingbroke Hall was a classic gig. The old miner on stage giving a speech with pigs trotters in hands before kick off.
The pigs heads on the church spikes after a 29 gig.
More recently Liddle Towers gr daughter on stage at monkwearmouth alongside the Damned.
I forget the pallion band,with Hatty in.
The Rats ending the Empire punk gigs.....
Scouse John who we had up several times,dossing on a different sofa every night. He was a real old school punk.
That's all this old head can recollect for now :)
Take care.......

I rehearsed once with a band called Incest, the singer was Toni Halliday latterly of Curve.
Washington Band Murder The Disturbed released the Genetic Disruption E.P.
While we’re here did anyone attend the festival in Backhouse Park around 73/74 with Brinsley Schwarz headlining?

Congratulations. You have mentioned, in your post, a band that don’t apparently already feature in the book!

I met Toni Halliday (pre Curve) but I’d have thought she was a little young (yeah I know, she was young anyway) to have been in a band during the late 70’. Was it purely a rehearsal band?

The author would also like to know if you recall it being prior to 1980 - the cut off point for the book. And if there’s owt else you recall.

You can pm me if you’d prefer.

My old band mate Dean was in the Cult ,before the toy dolls etc ,didn't know him then and can't remember them
Brought back some memories :)
Revillo's gig was stopped by Eugene who was covered in spit. The words were along the lines "if you don't stop spitting..........we walking". It got worse :)
Cult,I remember seeing rehearse in the church in millfield. Singer had a budgie cage as a mike stand :) Unfortunately I cannot remember if Donk was the singer,but he definitely played guitar. I gave him my copy of their single around 15yr ago & he was almost in tears. It .It may have been "Always lose my temper"
Disorder I saw several times with their best being "Air Raid".
Remember Midge from Red Alert & also going to see the Dickies with him.
Remember the lad from Doxy who always wore a German helmet & jacket.
Saturday's was the town meet up.
Upstarts at Boilingbroke Hall was a classic gig. The old miner on stage giving a speech with pigs trotters in hands before kick off.
The pigs heads on the church spikes after a 29 gig.
More recently Liddle Towers gr daughter on stage at monkwearmouth alongside the Damned.
I forget the pallion band,with Hatty in.
The Rats ending the Empire punk gigs.....
Scouse John who we had up several times,dossing on a different sofa every night. He was a real old school punk.
That's all this old head can recollect for now :)
Take care.......
Mitch? the drummer ,gary Mitchell,good mate of mine back then
Remember I was into my bikes and me ,Moscow and Mitch (red alert) had trail bikes on L plates
We rode through to Guardian studios In Durham with haversacks to collect the Red Alert EP singles
The guy said guess who's here lads ? and Edde kidd walked out .He was recording a single :lol:

no idea where my copy went but they only did 300 or something

Last edited:
I remember The Proles knocking around in the village I grew up in, some canny tunes from them, wish I'd been a bit older at the time to appreciate it. Also my dad would go on about a song called 'The Dog's Been Sick On The Carpet' c1977/8 by a local punk band whose name escapes me.

My old band mate Dean was in the Cult ,before the toy dolls etc ,didn't know him then and can't remember them

Remember I was into my bikes and me ,Moscow and Mitch (red alert) had trail bikes on L plates
We rode through to Guardian studios In Durham with haversacks to collect the Red Alert EP singles
The guy said guess who's here lads ? and Edde kidd walked out .He was recording a single :lol:

Aye..........Mitch. Pretty much close to Sid V appearance & hair.

Those ‘Third and Final’ E.P’s go for £500 - £600 on e bay..I remember Tony Frater telling me that when Eddie Kidd was at Guardian studios the Red Alert lads followed him into the toilets..Eddie had gone in a cubicle to have a shite and the lads were outside going ‘Jesus what’s that fkn smell’..’fkn hell break my nose’..Tony reckoned he was a top lad like.

I remember The Proles knocking around in the village I grew up in, some canny tunes from them, wish I'd been a bit older at the time to appreciate it. Also my dad would go on about a song called 'The Dog's Been Sick On The Carpet' c1977/8 by a local punk band whose name escapes me.
Fencehouses?

I remember No Cover. One of them ended up in The Field Mice which is about as far away from punk as you can get.

Dob

The first gig I went to, at the riverside

Didn't he then go on to play in "Crucified By Christians"? Have I imagined that they did a gig at peterlee technical college (as it was back then) and set the stage curtains alight?

Back