North East Punk

• Thread starter Deleted member 14766
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 14766

Do you have any recollections of the ‘punk’ era in the North East? By that I mean the ‘local scene’. Not famous, good, or bad, punk bands you may have seen or met but the LOCAL proponents, movers and shakers, musicians, and various ne’er-do-wells that were around and active between 1976 and 1980 that would have been considered ‘punk’

Were YOU in a band or around then, organising gigs, posting flyers, engaged in activity? Did you witness local punk bands ‘breaking through’, crashing and burning and/or making fools of themselves? Do you have tales to tell?

Let’s hear about it. Post on the thread or send me a PM if you want to protect your anonymity.

A book is in preparation that will feature contributions from all the local luminaries and those who went further afield or engaged in activity around that period. Glen Matlock and Steve Jones have offered comment and guidance but otherwise all the ‘names’ so far are NE based or originated.

No benefit will accrue and none is offered. Just a chance to reminisce.

I’m not the author.

I rehearsed once with a band called Incest, the singer was Toni Halliday latterly of Curve.
Washington Band Murder The Disturbed released the Genetic Disruption E.P.
While we’re here did anyone attend the festival in Backhouse Park around 73/74 with Brinsley Schwarz headlining?

I rehearsed once with a band called Incest, the singer was Toni Halliday latterly of Curve.
Washington Band Murder The Disturbed released the Genetic Disruption E.P.
While we’re here did anyone attend the festival in Backhouse Park around 73/74 with Brinsley Schwarz headlining?
That's 3 years before punk...

I'm not bickering I only said punk started in 76.. And he got the hump...before that I enjoyed reading his post as an old punk myself...
Much as I don't want to quicken your blood pressure, Lester Bangs started using the term punk rock in the early seventies.

"During the early 1970s, Bangs and some other writers at Creem began using the term punk rock to designate the genre of 1960s garage bands and more contemporary acts, such as MC5 and Iggy and the Stooges."

Lester Bangs - Wikipedia

Sex pistols ,the clash, Peter and the test tube babies,the exploited, crass, the damned,all good in there day like
Toy dolls ,were canny anarl, cause me cousin was in them 😉

Last edited:

Back