Normalisation of being fat

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not like, being 10 stone underweight is much more dangerous than being 10 stone over.
For a healthy individual to be 10 stone underweight you'd have to be dead so yeah you're right in that sense.

But in normal terms being overweight is far more dangerous than being too skinny

The number of take-aways may have gone up but no-one is forcing anyone to eat what they do. I don't think many people mind larger people if they are happy with their size. Some of my best friends are large. It is the larger people who constantly and for years on end complain about their size, going on a diet for two weeks (at most), fall into the same trap and then play the victim when pointed out to them how little backbone they have. Losing multiple stones isn't a quick fix, it is hard work and involves a change of lifestyle as well. If you aren't prepared to do that despite getting help and good words from people around you no wonder you remain large and unhappy. And at some point people just won't bother giving you any help or kind words as your new diet will end the same way as all the others so what is the point. You need a backbone and stubborness for dieting, not weak-will. I think that is what many people object to. If we were all happy with the size we are it would be great and well. If we aren't happy we do something about it. It isn't down to the number of take-aways popping up in my opinion. Not solely anyway.

In the UK we have the NHS which imho anyway makes people blasé about their health. Don't look after yourself and someone else will help pick up the tab.

When i was a lad there was hardly any takeaways and none at all of these pizza and kebab places selling low quality transfat laden muck. There was also very few fat kids back then.
Humans are weak willed beings you put temptation in their way and they will take it. It's not just takeaways it's supermarkets as well with a massive array of ready food laden with salt, sugar and fats. Again these places didn't exist in my day and as i said earlier neither did fat kids. There were fewer fat adults back then as well and people didn't have cars like today so got more exercise. The reasons for today's obesity problem is fairly easy to see really.

Ready meals that you don't have a clue what's gone into it.

Last edited:
It is tough when you are put on meds that lard you up... I put on a couple of stone recently and as soon as I was off the meds I stopped gaining weight but then had to lose it. I've lost a stone in the month since and hope to keep on at that trajectory.

I am pretty muscley so my bmi is stupid but I think another couple of stone off would have me right. I'd not say I'm unhealthy at my weight though, it is more about aesthetic than health benefits.

take any weight, 1, 5, 10, 20 - being away from a healthy weight, is unhealthy.
By definition!

I was asking because you'd think that being a bit overweight would be ok because evolution has equipped us with a mechanism to cope with it (non visceral fat storage) whereas when you're underweight you've basically been eating your own muscles.

It is tough when you are put on meds that lard you up... I put on a couple of stone recently and as soon as I was off the meds I stopped gaining weight but then had to lose it. I've lost a stone in the month since and hope to keep on at that trajectory.

I am pretty muscley so my bmi is stupid but I think another couple of stone off would have me right. I'd not say I'm unhealthy at my weight though, it is more about aesthetic than health benefits.
Tell me about it. I take meds for epilepsy which makes me bloat if I even look at a pasty.

Last edited:
Tell me about it. I take meds for epilepsy which makes me bloat if I even look at a pasty.

I remember when people would say this I would scoff as you aren't going to put weight on without eating more and doing less.... well that bit me in the arse.

I bloated up with water retention immediately and then I did do less as I was in a fug of meds and then I went from eating a super clean veg and protein diet to eating chicken and rice comfort food twice a day. I just had no grip on it at all and ended up begging to be taken off the meds. The doctor said there was no proof it was related to the meds... I told them if they didn't take me off the meds I would kill myself. :lol:
They took me off the meds.

I remember when people would say this I would scoff as you aren't going to put weight on without eating more and doing less.... well that bit me in the arse.

I bloated up with water retention immediately and then I did do less as I was in a fug of meds and then I went from eating a super clean veg and protein diet to eating chicken and rice comfort food twice a day. I just had no grip on it at all and ended up begging to be taken off the meds. The doctor said there was no proof it was related to the meds... I told them if they didn't take me off the meds I would kill myself. :lol:
They took me off the meds.

Aye people need to remember that weight gain is a common side effect of both meds and illnesses, before they start taking the piss. Nice Freudian slip with "scoff" btw ;)

how do they make you gain weight?

I was put on hormones and they were insane. I was putting on pounds a day and at first I didn't change from my clean diet but after a couple of weeks I was no longer running or moving much and then just wanted comfort food. Nothing crazy, still had porridge with water for breakfast etc but for lunch and dinner I'd have chicken thigh and rice with lemon as opposed to lean meat and green veg.

In the UK we have the NHS which imho anyway makes people blasé about their health. Don't look after yourself and someone else will help pick up the tab.

Ready meals that you don't have a clue what's gone into it.
Going back a few decades fat was stated as public enemy no1 and manufacturers were asked to remove it from ready food. They replaced it with salt and sugar to maintain a taste which we now know wasn't a good idea. Salt and particularly sugar are the big problems today they are in everything processed.

When i was a lad there was hardly any takeaways and none at all of these pizza and kebab places selling low quality transfat laden muck. There was also very few fat kids back then.
Humans are weak willed beings you put temptation in their way and they will take it. It's not just takeaways it's supermarkets as well with a massive array of ready food laden with salt, sugar and fats. Again these places didn't exist in my day and as i said earlier neither did fat kids. There were fewer fat adults back then as well and people didn't have cars like today so got more exercise. The reasons for today's obesity problem is fairly easy to see really.

My point was that there could be a take-away or fat-food-filled supermarket in every street everywhere and tempting as they are no-one forces you to eat what you do. If you are happy being large great, more power to you, but if you aren't happy don't blame everyone but yourself and do something about it without playing the victim. I know where am coming from, too. Years ago I lost sixty-five kilos. It took twenty-two months and yes I did have days where I wanted to sod it all but my stubborness got me through it. It wasn't easy but necessary and I just got on with it. Mind, at the moment am about a stone and a half underweight and trying to put weight on, and cannot believe how difficult that is. So I have been in both camps and though it is out of my hands for being currently underweight I only had myself to blame for ballooning in a way I had to lose sixty-five kilos back then. I would never blame anyone but myself for that. I was unhappy and did something about it, simple as that.

I don't mean you as in you but you as in general.

problem is they are using BMI as the measure for obesity which for a clinical study is poor. % body fat would be a better measure to use as BMI doesnt take into account, build, muscle mass on tone which could an extremely fit (but muscly) person regarded as obese

That applies to me like.

My point was that there could be a take-away or fat-food-filled supermarket in every street everywhere and tempting as they are no-one forces you to eat what you do. If you are happy being large great, more power to you, but if you aren't happy don't blame everyone but yourself and do something about it without playing the victim. I know where am coming from, too. Years ago I lost sixty-five kilos. It took twenty-two months and yes I did have days where I wanted to sod it all but my stubborness got me through it. It wasn't easy but necessary and I just got on with it. Mind, at the moment am about a stone and a half underweight and trying to put weight on, and cannot believe how difficult that is. So I have been in both camps and though it is out of my hands for being currently underweight I only had myself to blame for ballooning in a way I had to lose sixty-five kilos back then. I would never blame anyone but myself for that. I was unhappy and did something about it, simple as that.

I don't mean you as in you but you as in general.
I knew what your point was but as i said humans are weak and not everybody can resist the temptation that is in every shopping parade these days. You've done well but we're not all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back