Normalisation of being fat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is anyone talking about perfection? I thought it was mostly a discussion about people being grossly overweight.
Its a lets all laugh and look down at fat people thread.
If "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" applied here I'd be willing to bet there wouldn't be many stones cast. I'm 2 points into the overweight part of a BMI test but don't look overweight. However I wouldn't want to make myself feel superior by slagging off those who do look fat.
I feel sorry for those who are obese, I doubt any of them want to be that way especially the young. There was only one fat kid in my schooldays who in his adult years committed suicide. Guess why?
The way we live today and easy access to shit food is why obesity is a problem. I was brought up on one of the estates that had a butchers, a greengrocer, a grocer, post office and even a cobbler. Now there is a pizza place, 2 chip shops, an Indian and a Chinese takeaway while the original shops have gone. Its the same on every estate as well. If we want to tackle obesity that's where we start, get rid of this easy access to fat laden shite. Or we can just laugh at and slate the overweight I suppose.

If "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" applied here I'd be willing to bet there wouldn't be many stones cast. I'm 2 points into the overweight part of a BMI test but don't look overweight. However I wouldn't want to make myself feel superior by slagging off those who do look fat.
I feel sorry for those who are obese, I doubt any of them want to be that way especially the young. There was only one fat kid in my schooldays who in his adult years committed suicide. Guess why?
The way we live today and easy access to shit food is why obesity is a problem. I was brought up on one of the estates that had a butchers, a greengrocer, a grocer, post office and even a cobbler. Now there is a pizza place, 2 chip shops, an Indian and a Chinese takeaway while the original shops have gone. Its the same on every estate as well. If we want to tackle obesity that's where we start, get rid of this easy access to fat laden shite. Or we can just laugh at and slate the overweight I suppose.
I'm not laughing. I'm just of the opinion that you can do something to sort your life out. I've never really been fat per se but when I came back from living abroad I was in bad shape from eating garbage and drinking constantly. I worked hard to get myself in shape and change my lifestyle and have kept it up since. Best shape of my life now at 32. I do believe that promoting plus size models is as bad as these stick thin anorexics. I don't think perfection comes close to this, it's just about staying healthy and having a steady medium.

Last edited by a moderator:
Minging that like
Puff
Heard a statement on R4 last week that in 1980 less than 1 In 10 of the population was classed as obese, now it's over 4 in 10 and is expected to grow. Needs a complete change in culture to turn that around.

Only need to look at some of the threads that pop up regularly from posters on here, best pizza in SR3 etc, fancy a double lard one but last time I had one from Devitos it was shite etc...

It ain't going to happen mate

1980 is a world away, people were miles more active by default. More blokes had manual jobs, kids were running riot in every street, women generally didn't have a car so walked everywhere and force fed their kids horrible healthy home made stews and shit, take aways were fish lots or a once in a blue moon Chinese. It was just a different world where being active was part of life, not something you had to think about.

Pandora's stinky chubby box is wide open and they ain't no closing it....

Minging that like
Are you gay or picky mate?

1980 is a world away, people were miles more active by default. More blokes had manual jobs, kids were running riot in every street, women generally didn't have a car so walked everywhere and force fed their kids horrible healthy home made stews and shit, take aways were fish lots or a once in a blue moon Chinese. It was just a different world where being active was part of life, not something you had to think about.

That should be engraved on something.

Puff

It ain't going to happen mate

I walked the mile from my house to Havelock and back every day when I was at school.

My daughter used to do the same from Dykelands Road to St Benets. She had a classmate who's ma used to drive her daughter the 400 yards from Association Road (Clockstand at Roker street) to St Benets, ended up a reet chunk poor lass.

The number of take-aways may have gone up but no-one is forcing anyone to eat what they do. I don't think many people mind larger people if they are happy with their size. Some of my best friends are large. It is the larger people who constantly and for years on end complain about their size, going on a diet for two weeks (at most), fall into the same trap and then play the victim when pointed out to them how little backbone they have. Losing multiple stones isn't a quick fix, it is hard work and involves a change of lifestyle as well. If you aren't prepared to do that despite getting help and good words from people around you no wonder you remain large and unhappy. And at some point people just won't bother giving you any help or kind words as your new diet will end the same way as all the others so what is the point. You need a backbone and stubborness for dieting, not weak-will. I think that is what many people object to. If we were all happy with the size we are it would be great and well. If we aren't happy we do something about it. It isn't down to the number of take-aways popping up in my opinion. Not solely anyway.

I walked the mile from my house to Havelock and back every day when I was at school.

My daughter used to do the same from Dykelands Road to St Benets. She had a classmate who's ma used to drive her daughter the 400 yards from Association Road (Clockstand at Roker street) to St Benets, ended up a reet chunk poor lass.

We lived on dykelands road before I moved, I hated walking the boy to fulwell juniors because of the arseholes in cars dropping their kids off in the d Street next to the cut, it's bedlam. The twats block pavements, double park and pull away fast as fuck. I was shitting myself when he started walking himself.

The bone idle bastards are going to end up injuring or killing a bairn one of the days, it's not if but when.

We lived on dykelands road before I moved, I hated walking the boy to fulwell juniors because of the arseholes in cars dropping their kids off in the d Street next to the cut, it's bedlam. The twats block pavements, double park and pull away fast as fuck. I was shitting myself when he started walking himself.

The bone idle bastards are going to end up injuring or killing a bairn one of the days, it's not if but when.

I knarr someone who used to drive her kid from Grangetown to Fulwell Infants/juniors every day. Used her ma's address to qualify for living in the catchment area. Years ago would never have been option cos so few women drove.

The number of take-aways may have gone up but no-one is forcing anyone to eat what they do. I don't think many people mind larger people if they are happy with their size. Some of my best friends are large. It is the larger people who constantly and for years on end complain about their size, going on a diet for two weeks (at most), fall into the same trap and then play the victim when pointed out to them how little backbone they have. Losing multiple stones isn't a quick fix, it is hard work and involves a change of lifestyle as well. If you aren't prepared to do that despite getting help and good words from people around you no wonder you remain large and unhappy. And at some point people just won't bother giving you any help or kind words as your new diet will end the same way as all the others so what is the point. You need a backbone and stubborness for dieting, not weak-will. I think that is what many people object to. If we were all happy with the size we are it would be great and well. If we aren't happy we do something about it. It isn't down to the number of take-aways popping up in my opinion. Not solely anyway.
When i was a lad there was hardly any takeaways and none at all of these pizza and kebab places selling low quality transfat laden muck. There was also very few fat kids back then.
Humans are weak willed beings you put temptation in their way and they will take it. It's not just takeaways it's supermarkets as well with a massive array of ready food laden with salt, sugar and fats. Again these places didn't exist in my day and as i said earlier neither did fat kids. There were fewer fat adults back then as well and people didn't have cars like today so got more exercise. The reasons for today's obesity problem is fairly easy to see really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back