Nissan

The "cashcow" is their bread and butter in Europe, so unless they shift production to europe, we should be ok for a few years hopefully.

Sounds very dodgy for both but I think Spain will go first. Its very worrying for the Northeast regardless.
Although the article states the Juke and QQ will stay, the QQ is now made in abundance in Russia.
The "cashcow" is their bread and butter in Europe, so unless they shift production to europe, we should be ok for a few years hopefully.
Its made in Europe now :D

Last edited:
I would agree , always thought the plant would be there at least another 20 year but now I’m not so sure , short term (5yr) be fine any further ahead and who knows

Are you sure Russia make that many? we supply Russia with parts for the QQ from where I work and we send enough for about 2500 cars a month.
They have the capacity to seriously upgrade though and St Petersburg is a car making city. Far more than Sunderland will ever be.
Having said that i think Sunderland will see out the QQ's life along with the Juke. Just depends on how long that is.

I would agree , always thought the plant would be there at least another 20 year but now I’m not so sure , short term (5yr) be fine any further ahead and who knows
Just gotta hope they have a good rethink of the electric car lark when those come online more and more tied in with healthy govt stimulus
I suspect very short term Nissan will screw as much out of the furlough scheme as possible, then they’ll hope for some more subsidies ala the airline industry and see what the car market is like, as most of Europe will be in deep recession/ massive job losses, as the market of selling new/ leasing will be massively on its arse, especially if more companies get used to working from home/ reducing work forces to cut costs.
Sadly I can see a reduction in staff at Sunderland or even keep the staff and maybe a hefty pay decrease over the next couple of years to keep all the jobs there and keep the company ticking over until there’s a degree of stability to world economies

Last edited:
Stores opened up last Wednesday and we've had emails from a couple of other departments who will be taking deliveries from tomorrow, by early June at least one shift on one line will be back imo.

Back