Nissan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wage suppression is the obvious answer, however, Morocco started talks in 2013 about joining the DCFTA which is essentially a stealth move into the single market. The intentions of which are to try and help surrounding developing countries bring their economies up to EU standards. Tunisia are also negotiating to join.
they also have a fair sized tariff free zone as well, so if they did move they get the best of both. Free of EU manufacturing rules and very very low Tariffs to ship either into the EU or anywhere else with the WTO clobbering them as I understand it

Wage suppression is the obvious answer, however, Morocco started talks in 2013 about joining the DCFTA which is essentially a stealth move into the single market. The intentions of which are to try and help surrounding developing countries bring their economies up to EU standards. Tunisia are also negotiating to join.
While simultaneously bringing EU economies down to surrounding developing countries standard! Nice one EU:confused:

So the battery plant. The new paint plant. The new xl press. The new incinerator. The entire existing factory. The brand new business enterprise centre that's going to be built. The huge infrastructure changes that are being made. The allocation of new Juke, Qashqai, X-Trail and Leaf are all going down the shitter on the word of an engineer.

I reckon my job is safe for a good few years yet personally.

Battery plant was sold ! I think you're right though,we'll be there for a while longer.

I've worked in North Africa for the last 17 years and can tell you their work ethic is cack. Nissan would be signing their own fall from grace if they moved there. What quality product can you name that comes out of North Africa and is exported around the world?

Yes you have a point about current manufacturing output in North Africa yet in my lifetime I've seen the far east dominate electronics from nowhere, the british textile industry removed to sweat shops and even stuff like lavvies now being made in Turkey. The point I was trying to make and obviously failed to do is that other countries, other cultures mobilise to be places where multinationals shift production to where it suits them. Morocco in my experience is on a major shift to become a modern country. The World is a hungry place and wherever you are on the Brexit debate my own view is you cannot just dismiss the potential that exists elsewhere in emerging countries.

Why would they want to pay a 10% tariff on components to import and cars to export with all the associated customs problems? It would make business sense to relocate.

Then likely have to pay a tariff to import to the UK if we have any balls about us! Sort it out and lower the tax base for individuals and business and less vat on all UK grown and produced food. Import tax on EU items above WTO rates - Jobs and goodun.

Okay, so a third hand account from a mate at work speculates that a new micro plant in Morocco (not the EU) "might" be a threat to the plant in Sunderland? and therefore, Brexit must be to blame?

This place is funny at times. It's no better logic than "a mate just text me saying we might be signing X"

Fek me......Who is X?? No No give the info that's way more important than this Brexit/Re-moaner stuff

Last edited:
Really hope there is no truth in this, would be devastating...but could see May saying exactly what some have commented on here...Sunderland voted for it...it seems to some like Sunderland is to blame for a majority of the country voting out?

How do you know the battery plant sell off wasn' the first step in this process?
The battery plant was always likely to be sold and has been indeed sold as part of a package(an American Nissan battery plant was also sold with it). The recent Mitsubishi share acquisition and them joining the Renault/Nissan alliance may well have influenced the decision to finally get rid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back