Nissan

Agreed, but quality assurance is also a massive incentive, which I dare say would be a huge risk if they moved to Africa.
Nissan already had a workforce in the 80s that we're able to transition easily from heavy industries, where would they find that in North Africa?
Renault set up the Dacia factory in Romania. A country not renowned for quality cars.

Loads of cars are made in Mexico and Poland.

The robots do all the hard work mate, all the workers do is fit the bits the robots can’t.

Agreed, but quality assurance is also a massive incentive, which I dare say would be a huge risk if they moved to Africa.
Nissan already had a workforce in the 80s that we're able to transition easily from heavy industries, where would they find that in North Africa?

Current car manufacturers there recruit straight from school and train them up. No other way to do it, as you say, the skill levels aren't up to scratch and a lot of the older blokes aren't interested.

Its absolutely a massive decision for them but a shit brexit deal makes it that much easier to justify

Germany and France are both political powder kegs waiting to explode big style and that will impact on every aspect of life in both countries. I truly believe that we're best out of it.
What a load of crap - if you want to see a powder keg just look to Westminster.

Firstly I hope the prosperity that Nissan has brought to the City continues long into the future.
However in reply to your post I travel to Morocco on a fairly regular basis.It has undergone massive modernisation in the last decades, just go to the 20 odd mile strip between Tangiers and Assilah and see the changes, come in by the new international port to see a country that is moving from a North African stereotype to a place with a wealth of surprisingly well educated young graduates, a population that is the most outward looking of all Muslim states. I wouldn't make the mistake of dismissing the reality of what a mixture of Globalisation, massive foreign investment, an ambitious head of state and a pool of labour that emigrated to Europe but wants to return is bringing to a country long dismissed as a first world backwater.

Firstly I hope the prosperity that Nissan has brought to the City continues long into the future.
However in reply to your post I travel to Morocco on a fairly regular basis.It has undergone massive modernisation in the last decades, just go to the 20 odd mile strip between Tangiers and Assilah and see the changes, come in by the new international port to see a country that is moving from a North African stereotype to a place with a wealth of surprisingly well educated young graduates, a population that is the most outward looking of all Muslim states. I wouldn't make the mistake of dismissing the reality of what a mixture of Globalisation, massive foreign investment, an ambitious head of state and a pool of labour that emigrated to Europe but wants to return is bringing to a country long dismissed as a first world backwater.
Unfortunately mate you’re trying to convince the brexit brigade,who in their fantasy world still think Morocco can’t make anything more complex than a lamb tagine.

Okay, so a third hand account from a mate at work speculates that a new micro plant in Morocco (not the EU) "might" be a threat to the plant in Sunderland? and therefore, Brexit must be to blame?

This place is funny at times. It's no better logic than "a mate just text me saying we might be signing X"

It'll be interesting to see what they think about the mass objection from us Washington folks about the monster incinerator, Sharon Hodgson is on board too - we don't want it here.

I've worked in North Africa for the last 17 years and can tell you their work ethic is cack. Nissan would be signing their own fall from grace if they moved there. What quality product can you name that comes out of North Africa and is exported around the world?

I would f***ing love it if, when Nissan shuts and moves to Morocco, on the former site a massive mosque is put up.

Poetic justice for racists

I've worked in North Africa for the last 17 years and can tell you their work ethic is cack. Nissan would be signing their own fall from grace if they moved there. What quality product can you name that comes out of North Africa and is exported around the world?
The same was said about China 50 years ago.

A lot can happen in a few decades.

Korean cars now give Japanese ones a run for their money, 20 years ago they were laughable

I would f***ing love it if, when Nissan shuts and moves to Morocco, on the former site a massive mosque is put up.

Poetic justice for racists

The same was said about China 50 years ago.

A lot can happen in a few decades.

Korean cars now give Japanese ones a run for their money, 20 years ago they were laughable
Yeah, but I'm still talking about now. Their attitude and work ethic has not changed.

Back