Nissan

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my discussions with several people there the main worry is EPD coating (owt metal and black in a car) . This was in discussions to be done up Grorud in Consett until they went tits up.

Nissan are still at the stage of cost benefit regards in-house expansion or sub out last I heard. Maybe this is option 3.

Jesus I worked there many moons ago. What a soul destroying place that was

The government will just pay them to stay, cover any extra export costs created by leaving the single market.
They'll probably profit out of the whole thing, out of our wages though.
In the event of a full merger with Renault, the UK government would be powerless to stop any closure and Renault would take the jobs back to France where their government has a 15% stake in the company. Renault owns 35% of Nissan and Nissan owns 15% of Renault. The only way Sunderland would survive the merger would be if Renault acquired back the 15% government stake and the new merger was 50/50 split. Even then, doubtful.

Friend of mine's brother is an engineer with Nissan in Barcelona. Last week he was sent to Tangiers to help look for site of new macro- factory. He says it is direct threat to the future of the Sunderland plant.

God help Sunderland, the region and our club if this is true.
Why the fuck would they send an Engineer to look for a new site? So he has the skills and knowledge to identify a site with the logistics, infrastructure, funding from local government, skill set of the local workforce to influence a decision that will cost Nissan £100M + . FFS

I have heard similar rumblings about uncertainty from the people I know work there.
I still remember a nissan friend being convinced they were gonna shut the plant down, 15 years ago.... theyve invested far too much now to just pull out, why would they ? they have the investment, the infrastructure and a top workforce/management

I still remember a nissan friend being convinced they were gonna shut the plant down, 15 years ago.... theyve invested far too much now to just pull out, why would they ? they have the investment, the infrastructure and a top workforce/management
How much was subsidised? And that was all Nissan, if its Renault taking over its a whole different ball game - the French will not hesitate to take their jobs home, unlike the shit UK government(s)....

Yet another anti Brexit attention seeking scaremongering.
Because otherwise Brexit is all rainbows and unicorns!

Oh wait, no, its the disaster that was predicted......

In the event of a full merger with Renault, the UK government would be powerless to stop any closure and Renault would take the jobs back to France where their government has a 15% stake in the company. Renault owns 35% of Nissan and Nissan owns 15% of Renault. The only way Sunderland would survive the merger would be if Renault acquired back the 15% government stake and the new merger was 50/50 split. Even then, doubtful.

Logon or register to see this image

The point you are missing that companies don't shut profitable, efficient, successful factories for nationalistic reasons. The Sunderland plant beats every challenge it is given. If we end up with tariffs then the UK Government is going to have to offset that to enable the factory to remain internally profitable - it will not be able to compete for production is it doesn't maintain its profit per employee rate.

We will have to wait and see, if they do decide to close, it will be a gradual loss of work rather than a sudden end. The EU will probably give them a grant.

The point you are missing that companies don't shut profitable, efficient, successful factories for nationalistic reasons. The Sunderland plant beats every challenge it is given. If we end up with tariffs then the UK Government is going to have to offset that to enable the factory to remain internally profitable - it will not be able to compete for production is it doesn't maintain its profit per employee rate.
If tariffs are applied it will not be for political reasons. Madness to even put ourselves in this situation, an act of feeble mindedness in the extreme.

We will have to wait and see, if they do decide to close, it will be a gradual loss of work rather than a sudden end. The EU will probably give them a grant.

If tariffs are applied it will not be for political reasons. Madness to even put ourselves in this situation, an act of feeble mindedness in the extreme.
I agree with that point totally. We have been performing well economically and Nissan has been a saviour for this region - Brexit simply puts totally unnecessary hurdles in the way for us to prosper, for no gain in my view. However, I don't see a Renault/Nissan merger as a threat to Nissan Sunderland - Nissan Sunderland will remain open as long as it is internally competitive. In the event of tariffs the UK Government may have to offset the effect of those tariffs - this may annoy people but the cost of 40,000 jobs is way too high for this region to take.

Yes they do, I used to work for one that made £6m profit in its final year of operation. It was shut so the work could be done in Germany.

Union is to fight loss of 90 jobs
Fair do's. Similarly I worked for a Korean company which moved because it could make more profits in Poland. However, Nissan Sunderland has had the same pressures over the last 34 years and grown and grown. Having worked at Nissan when the Renault alliance started - when they both took a stake in each others company I can't see why a full merger would affect Sunderland - I remember Nissan shutting Japanese factories and keeping Sunderland open because it is so good at what it does - it still leads the world - it has ex-Sunderland people running factories in South Africa, France and the US to my knowledge. It really is a key site. However, if tariffs were introduced and Sunderland had to increase its prices or reduce its profits then it would be under threat because it would not be able to compete internally. Internal competition has driven Nissan from a company teetering on the bring of extinction to a massively successful company that it is today - its not going to change that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back