NFL hats at the match

Sometimes I wonder when I see NFL hats in the UK whether the wearer has ever attended a game of the team whose logo they are sporting (or even been to the city!).
I’ve been to Buffalo but not yet been to a game. One day when all this COVID is over I plan on getting to a game. My family live about 20 minutes from there, hence the reason I follow the Bills

Sometimes I wonder when I see NFL hats in the UK whether the wearer has ever attended a game of the team whose logo they are sporting (or even been to the city!).
Lived in Houston and saw the Oilers play, have a Texans hat n seen them play at Wembley.
I’ve been to Buffalo but not yet been to a game. One day when all this COVID is over I plan on getting to a game. My family live about 20 minutes from there, hence the reason I follow the Bills
Worth a couple of bob for Super Bowl, good team

Last edited:
I went to Buffalo once and though it maybe the most depressing city ever visited. Love the wings mind

I flew to buffalo once after my flight to Rochester got cancelled.

I remembered getting on the bus at the airport which went to Rochester but stopped at quite a few stops. I was the only white person on the bus during the whole time and remember everyone turning round and looking at me whilst chewing their gum and interrogating me 😅. It was surreal but they all gave me a fistpump when I got off.

Go to a game in December. My mother's family is from Syracuse, so I've been through there a number of times in winter on the way up to Toronto.

Nope and nope, but plan to (Pittsburgh).

Have watched 100s of their games on TV though.

It's obviously not the same as Sunderland, nobody is saying it is - that's the day job. But it's a nice distraction, not least because they are good and the hats are as good as you'd expect from a game regularly played at -15 degrees.

Why the Steelers? Somebody bought be a t-shirt back from America when I was a bairn and I just stuck with them. Like their style of American football too - aggressive, defence minded, uber-physical.

Heinz is nice, but the wind blows in off the river a lot of the time. You'll need the hat. I ran a 5K on Thanksgiving morning there a couple years back (the start line was between Heinz and PNC, where the Pirates play) and it was 10 degrees Fahrenheit (-12C) at 9 am.

Well I have a Chicago Bears hat “my NFL” team ever since I watched Walter Payton and William “The Fridge” Perry, when the games were first shown years ago on Channel 4. As for attending games, I have experienced - it is really more than just watching the on-pitch play spread over hours - 3 games here, in The UK, Wembley and Twickenham. The hat itself is a brilliant thermal roll down hat, excellent in cold weather and was brought to me by my cousin, who just happens to live in Chicago - hence the link - when the family (3rd generation) “returned home” their family roots, to stay with us and take in The Durham “Big Meeting“, which they had ingrained in them by my Great Aunt and Uncle who left East Durham for a new life in The USA in the late 1920s.

The Fridge was fun as hell. Shame they ruined Soldier Field by landing a spaceship on it. My wife (no) is from a Chicago family and lived there for 6 years. Even she's not sick enough to root for the Bears and she f***ing married me.

Last edited:
Go to a game in December. My mother's family is from Syracuse, so I've been through there a number of times in winter on the way up to Toronto.

My family live over the border in St Catherine’s, I want to take in a Maple Leafs game as well as seeing the Bills, so a December trip would be ideal

I wear a Bears hat. I've been to Chicago a couple of times, I've been to quite a few NFL games (and one college football game) but never a Bears game. The only time I was in Chicago while they were playing was a playoff game and it was sold out (and then they lost to the Packers...)

Some strange people here. Lots of people like the NFL in Britain and a lot of NFL fans buy a hat as it's probably the best value item you can buy and wear. Plus, most NFL fans actually do enjoy meeting other fans who understand the game and wearing something like a hat is a good ice-breaker.

Like when mrjardine wears his KKK hood.
I've liked this just for the last sentence :lol:

been to Atlanta 3 times and also seen them @ NY Jets and at Wembley. Should have been going to Tampa this week but obvs cancelled.
Love the experience of an nfl game

The best thing is they really do keep your head warm better than other hats.

Been to a couple of San Diego Chargers games, one Chicago Bears game (bloody hell that was cold) and one LA Rams game. The tailgate parties are canny fun.

🤷‍♂️

Would you think the same if you were say in new York and you saw someone with a Sunderland top on. Its irrelevant.

Everyone has different reasons for supporting a team in any sport. Some have no choice, others will pick a team for various reasons.

There will be sunderland fans on here who live far away, love the club but have never set foot in sunderland or the sol. Doesn't make them any less of a fan.

🤷‍♂️

Would you think the same if you were say in new York and you saw someone with a Sunderland top on. Its irrelevant.

Everyone has different reasons for supporting a team in any sport. Some have no choice, others will pick a team for various reasons.

There will be sunderland fans on here who live far away, love the club but have never set foot in sunderland or the sol. Doesn't make them any less of a fan.

Yeah, I would, considering I'm American. I always talk to anyone I see over here in Sunderland tops. That was why I asked the question, not the gloss you put on it.

Yeah, I would, considering I'm American. I always talk to anyone I see over here in Sunderland tops. That was why I asked the question, not the gloss you put on it.
Fair enough but the point still stands. Someone at the sol wearing a nfl hat who supports that team can do without having ever been to the states or even to an nfl game.

Has no bearing at all.

I worked in Buffalo a number of times 4 daya at a time 20 years ago. Got to really enjoy the place- they absolutely love their sport and being at a Bills or Sabres game was not dissimilar to being at a pumped up SOL or Roker. The people are really down to earth too - a lot of fellow New Yorkers see them as underlings. Josh Allen could win the Bowl for them this year.

I lived and worked in Houston for a couple of years in the early 80's and caught the bug, was given tickets on a regular basis to Oilers games and always enjoyed the occasion. Go to London Games at Wembley and get same seats every year. My wife likes Green Bay Packers and is hoping they will come to Wembley to play (believe they are only team not to come to UK), I saw Texans in 2019 at Wembley. Am a SAFC season card holder as well.
I am looking for the double that weekend the Packers play in London with Sunderland on Saturday...Fly over for a long weekend

Back