Next time Stewie comes out of hiding...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than goals for us, he has great experience as a player and had the opportunity to learn from multiple prem-champ managers throughout his career. He knows what a high level player should have and needs in terms of mentality and capability and I would expect has very good contacts in the game due to many moves and longevity. Has experience as a coach, so a decent understanding of what is required by a manager from non-playing perspective and likely up-to-date strategies. He has a reputation that will motivate the fans and hopefully the players and although this is potentially short term, it cant be disregarded relative to other candidates/Parkinson. Phillips hasn’t a track record, but who has before their first chance ?
btw, i was not a Phillips advocate, just pointing out what he could bring other than being a playing legend.

Phillips has carved a decent reputation out as a coach, still not sure what sets him apart from the many other coaches who were good pros.

It's also pretty unprecedented to appoint an outsider for his first job mid-season at a club who are performing so far below the expectations of the fan base. I don't think he would get a look in at any of our rivals if they changed manager this season. If he made a bad start, any sense of optimism would quickly deteriorate.

If you're going to make this type of appointment, it needs to be done in the off-season.

Last edited:

Ah, in that case, perhaps you could be so kind as to point out my grammatical errors? I'm always keen to learn. On second thoughts, perhaps it's better if you don't bother. You've already demonstrated your limitations. I intended making a brief appearance with the sole purpose of demolishing your nonsensical, overblown point, which was achieved with ease. Now, you're seeking to draw me into the depths of your intellectual sewer, but I shall not be lured, you little rascal, you.

You have chosen your username aptly, Sir. Place your eyeglass to your blind eye, looking over the churning white caps towards Copenhagen:

"I see no ships." Or, if you favour accuracy over sentiment: "I really do not see the signal."

You sound like you spend too much time listening to young republican debate club nerds on reddit and it has poisoned your brain.

I hope you get better soon.

None of us were in the room when the candidates were interviewed, so none of us know what the other hopefuls said. We certainly don't know that Parkinson was the cheapest option or that it was the reason he was hired. It's just speculation, and not particularly thoughtful speculation at that.
This. But when the pitchfork has been sharpened.....

Do you not think the coaches were gearing the team up from Monday onwards with how the team will shape up, tactics etc or do you think that only happens on a Friday?
Not sure mate.
Just think we are at are best when we go out and attack teams st the way he seems to set them up doesn't look that way.
I so hope I'm wrong and he gets it right and I will support him while hes here but I do worry we will struggle

None of us were in the room when the candidates were interviewed, so none of us know what the other hopefuls said. We certainly don't know that Parkinson was the cheapest option or that it was the reason he was hired. It's just speculation, and not particularly thoughtful speculation at that.
It's a reasoned assumption. He's worked under restraints before so, to me, it sounds a reasonable guess based on our current situation and lack of spend this term.

Not sure mate.
Just think we are at are best when we go out and attack teams st the way he seems to set them up doesn't look that way.
I so hope I'm wrong and he gets it right and I will support him while hes here but I do worry we will struggle
He had no time to set them up, that's the point.

When he has had time in training to implement his tactics, then we can criticise

I think he wants a badge. Just send him a badge ....
Logon or register to see this image
My best mate gave me a badge, an enamel badge, shield shaped, like an old prefect badge from the 60s & 70s. Instead of "prefect" in gilded lettering, it bears the moniker "Wanker". I could send him that, but I like it too much.

He once sent me card that read (on the outside): "Jesus Loves Everyone". Inside, it said: "Except you, you ****."
You sound like you spend too much time listening to young republican debate club nerds on reddit and it has poisoned your brain.

I hope you get better soon.
A withering response. And yet, I find myself waiting for the substantive reply....

Last edited:
Nothing against Parkinson here, he absolutely should be given a chance and IMO he starts with a clean slate. I hope we storm the league.

However, that doesn’t alter the fact that IMO it’s an underwhelming appointment given that Stendel was available and Ainsworth would have come.

Am I allowed to think and say that on here, or does it qualify me for abuse and accusations that I want him to fail?
Just wondering...

....which I doubt will happen soon, he should be asked point blank why he thinks Parkinson is better than Stendel, Ainsworth or even Phillips (none of those seem unrealistic) and made to defend the appointment. We are already back to just getting a press release from the club and no dialogue because they know they're a f***ing disgrace and their decision making is a joke.

I haven't heard one supporter say they're happy about Parkinson, or even defend him based on anything concrete. He's had two promotions from this division in 16 seasons at this level. Nothing other than blind faith could lead you to believe he is a good choice.

Don't expect him to ever be asked but would love to hear him try to justify it.

So an established manager versus Phillips an unknown and you question ability after one game.

You know not of the circumstances of why for instance Stendel wasn't appointed yet seem to have already jumped to conclusions.
If Phillips had of been appointed you could of just came on here with the same thread title and just changed the name from Parkinson under debate to Phillips.

Nothing against Parkinson here, he absolutely should be given a chance and IMO he starts with a clean slate. I hope we storm the league.

However, that doesn’t alter the fact that IMO it’s an underwhelming appointment given that Stendel was available and Ainsworth would have come.

Am I allowed to think and say that on here, or does it qualify me for abuse and accusations that I want him to fail?
Just wondering...
Thoughts are policed by your psychological colleagues & counterparts, the Thowt Fuzz, the Brain Bobbies, the Mind Met, Detective Chief Inspector. Your reet to free speech remains unimpeded, although if you go against certain mythologies that have become enshrined as (false) facts, you may find yasel farling down the stairs of your local nick.
LEWIS!!!

Just wondering...

Well you obviously dont want him to fail as you stated he should be given a chance.

Yet you liked Nelson's post slating him after one game so is that his chance gone ?

i'd like to think Stendel just didn't want the job so soon after leaving Barnsley. it's the only way i can justify in my head why he's not currently our manager

as for SD he won't come out of hiding as you put it as there's no defending the appointment. also expect any podcasts we get in the future to be heavily scripted

would love Parkinson to prove everyone wrong mind and at the end of the season we're bumping all these threads having a laugh whilst celebrating promotion

will give him time before making any judgement on his time here but expectations couldn't really be any lower at the minute

Well you obviously dont want him to fail as you stated he should be given a chance.

Yet you liked Nelson's post slating him after one game so is that his chance gone ?

Fair point.

I didn’t agree with all of his post. I’ve done that quite few times - liked a post for some decent points but something might be in there that I might not agree with. Sometimes I like a post when someone makes a decent argument that I may disagree with.

I should really quote the posts and ‘embolden’ (there’s a topper word!) the bit I agree with and comment, but I’m a lazy, lazy arsehole.
:p
Thoughts are policed by your psychological colleagues & counterparts, the Thowt Fuzz, the Brain Bobbies, the Mind Met, Detective Chief Inspector. Your reet to free speech remains unimpeded, although if you go against certain mythologies that have become enshrined as (false) facts, you may find yasel farling down the stairs of your local nick.
LEWIS!!!

You’re too clever for this place! :lol:

Last edited:
Two promotions from this division in a career spanning a decade and a half is the relevant bit.

I don't see how cup runs are at all and indicator he will do well in the league. His record of avoiding relegation might come in handy like.
OK - probably 6 out of the 13 seasons in management weren't in this division - so how is a decade and a half relevant? Equally, BSA saved us from relegation and is seen as a bit of a hero for us. Parkinson has saved clubs destined for relegation 3 times yet you won't give him credit for this. Stokoe is a hero for us due to 1973 and yet you give no credit for taking a 4th Division club to a League Cup final. The bottom line is your analysis of his managerial statistics is so fundamentally incorrect and this leads me to believe you just have an agenda rather than want to indulge in any logical discussion. If you analyse his career he has probably over achieved at the clubs he managed in 9 out of 13 or 14 seasons. That doesn't mean he'll be a success but but it does mean that your arguments are flawed and incorrect.

OK - probably 6 out of the 13 seasons in management weren't in this division - so how is a decade and a half relevant? Equally, BSA saved us from relegation and is seen as a bit of a hero for us. Parkinson has saved clubs destined for relegation 3 times yet you won't give him credit for this. Stokoe is a hero for us due to 1973 and yet you give no credit for taking a 4th Division club to a League Cup final. The bottom line is your analysis of his managerial statistics is so fundamentally incorrect and this leads me to believe you just have an agenda rather than want to indulge in any logical discussion. If you analyse his career he has probably over achieved at the clubs he managed in 9 out of 13 or 14 seasons. That doesn't mean he'll be a success but but it does mean that your arguments are flawed and incorrect.

Lots of managers/teams go on cup runs. It doesn't mean anything in terms of ability to get us out of this league as knock out competitions are entirely different. Stokoe winning the cup didn't translate to him being a success in the league for is.

Scraping and battling to enough points to stay in any given division does not mean you are likely to be the sort of manager who can win that division either. That's why BSA is the first to get a call if a club is in trouble, but Man Utd etc are never interested.

His record does not suggest he is a great shout today get us out of this league and that's why he was appointed. .

It's a reasoned assumption. He's worked under restraints before so, to me, it sounds a reasonable guess based on our current situation and lack of spend this term.

I don't think it's a reasoned assumption that the only consideration the owners gave to the hiring process was "how much will this person cost?"

I don't think it's a reasoned assumption that the only consideration the owners gave to the hiring process was "how much will this person cost?"
Suit yourself. I think consideration of cost definitely played its part. There are a number of people who think that same way, and I believe deep down you know a desire to keep costs down has credence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of managers/teams go on cup runs. It doesn't mean anything in terms of ability to get us out of this league as knock out competitions are entirely different. Stokoe winning the cup didn't translate to him being a success in the league for is.

Scraping and battling to enough points to stay in any given division does not mean you are likely to be the sort of manager who can win that division either. That's why BSA is the first to get a call if a club is in trouble, but Man Utd etc are never interested.

His record does not suggest he is a great shout today get us out of this league and that's why he was appointed. .
Parkinson appears to have been successful in scrapping and saving clubs destined for the drop 3 times, promotions 3 times, play-offs twice and 2 really good cup runs with a 4 division team - by those stats he's good at all elements. Overall, the theme of his managerial career is over achievement apart from at Hull and Charlton. I am not saying at he's my choice but you purposely construct arguments against his record which is generally a positive one.

Just wondering...
Most right minded supporters will be thinking / saying the same mate, myself included ( I’m not saying I’m fully right in the heed mind )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back