Next time Stewie comes out of hiding...

Suit yourself. I think consideration of cost definitely played its part. There are a number of people who think that same way, and I believe deep down you know a desire to keep costs down has credence.

Keeping costs down to keep us self-sufficient makes us more attractive to investors, but once they're here it will be less of an issue.

It wouldn't make sense to give such a long contract to Parkinson if that was the thinking behind it.

Fair enough if he'd only been given a contract to the end of this season or even shorter, then I could see the "keeping costs down for now" argument having some sense behind it.

Clearly they believe he has what it takes to get us up and make a go of it in the championship too.

Clearly they believe he has what it takes to get us up and make a go of it in the championship too.
According to Barnsey and others, it was PP that turned down the 18 month contract and insisted on a 36 month instead. This could mean one of two things:
1) Either he has a plan OR
2) He sees promotion as unlikely so he made sure he can cash in, in May.

According to Barnsey and others, it was PP that turned down the 18 month contract and insisted on a 36 month instead. This could mean one of two things:
1) Either he has a plan OR
2) He sees promotion as unlikely so he made sure he can cash in, in May.

Even an 18 month contract would indicate to me that they thought he might be able to do it in the Championship. And CM/SD could still have said no to the 36 month one if the plan was keeping costs down, and hired someone else instead.

i'd like to think Stendel just didn't want the job so soon after leaving Barnsley. it's the only way i can justify in my head why he's not currently our manager

as for SD he won't come out of hiding as you put it as there's no defending the appointment. also expect any podcasts we get in the future to be heavily scripted

would love Parkinson to prove everyone wrong mind and at the end of the season we're bumping all these threads having a laugh whilst celebrating promotion

will give him time before making any judgement on his time here but expectations couldn't really be any lower at the minute

The only other reason I can think of in terms of Stendel not getting it might be that they are desperate to go up this season, meaning they had to think short term. Maybe they felt that Stendel would want to implement a totally different style of football and that it would take too long for the players to adjust to it, time that they couldn't afford this season. Perhaps against that they thought that Parkinson could come in, make no major changes, but maybe they felt that a bit more fitness, or a bit better organisation at the back, just minor tweaks rather than an overhaul, might lead to a sufficient upturn to get us back on course for promotion.

I don't agree with the above mind, I'd like to have seen us change our style of play, and I actually think the players we've got would arguably suit a Stendel style more than a Ross or Parkinson one, but I'm just trying to think of reasons for bringing him in other than the worrying "he was cheap"

Jesus christ.

Get a grip man, your nappy's leaking.

If you don't like it, stop going, stop posting, and find something in life you actually enjoy instead. It'll be better for everyone.

If it was up to me I'd ban you from the club and from this board.
Absolute disgrace that cowards like you are allowed to continue to post in the manner that you do. You never offer a counter argumen,t rather sticking to the tired old method of calling people bed wetters etc.

The very fact that you think that sporting a pony tail and having teeth like burnt out fence panels is acceptable, should help to establish to everyone on here, the type of character you are.

I’d rather have Parkinson than Phillips. Other than scoring some goals for us 20 years ago, I’m not sure what his credentials are. No other club trying to get promoted would consider him. Toss up between him and Ainsworth. He doesn’t exactly play expansive football either. Stendel would have been above him on my list at the start, but it’s not cut and dry. He’s literally just been sacked, and he’d have to adapt his style massively with our squad.

Let’s not pretend like those three are obviously better options.
Well at least Parkinson will not have to adjust his style with our squad. They have a lot in common-Crap boring football.

Keeping costs down to keep us self-sufficient makes us more attractive to investors, but once they're here it will be less of an issue.

It wouldn't make sense to give such a long contract to Parkinson if that was the thinking behind it.

Fair enough if he'd only been given a contract to the end of this season or even shorter, then I could see the "keeping costs down for now" argument having some sense behind it.

Which makes them all the more stupid as he’s a failed championship manager with three different clubs. I’ll grant him some grace with Bolton but Hull gave him the bullet after 4 months and he went down sort Charlton and couldn’t get them back up.

OK - probably 6 out of the 13 seasons in management weren't in this division - so how is a decade and a half relevant? Equally, BSA saved us from relegation and is seen as a bit of a hero for us. Parkinson has saved clubs destined for relegation 3 times yet you won't give him credit for this. Stokoe is a hero for us due to 1973 and yet you give no credit for taking a 4th Division club to a League Cup final. The bottom line is your analysis of his managerial statistics is so fundamentally incorrect and this leads me to believe you just have an agenda rather than want to indulge in any logical discussion. If you analyse his career he has probably over achieved at the clubs he managed in 9 out of 13 or 14 seasons. That doesn't mean he'll be a success but but it does mean that your arguments are flawed and incorrect.
I think it is relevant - he's been sold as an expert at getting teams promoted from this division but has only done it twice, 11 years apart. Allardyce took Bolton up in 2000 and West Ham in 2012 but he isn't seen as a promotion expert.

Jesus christ.

Get a grip man, your nappy's leaking.

If you don't like it, stop going, stop posting, and find something in life you actually enjoy instead. It'll be better for everyone.

If it was up to me I'd ban you from the club and from this board.

Well said..

I think it is relevant - he's been sold as an expert at getting teams promoted from this division but has only done it twice, 11 years apart. Allardyce took Bolton up in 2000 and West Ham in 2012 but he isn't seen as a promotion expert.
From what I can see he's had about 6 seasons in this division which has seen 2 promotions, 2 play offs which didn't result in promotion and one season where he saved a club from relegation when he joined. Generally in this division he has exceeded expectations. However, if you want to spin it as a negative, which you are, it is possible. He wouldn't have been my choice for various reasons but the premise of this thread and the points you are making are basically incorrect. Read through his managerial career and you will see he has generally been successful and over achieved. The only place where he was a 'disaster' was Hull and he was there less than 6 months.

From what I can see he's had about 6 seasons in this division which has seen 2 promotions, 2 play offs which didn't result in promotion and one season where he saved a club from relegation when he joined. Generally in this division he has exceeded expectations. However, if you want to spin it as a negative, which you are, it is possible. He wouldn't have been my choice for various reasons but the premise of this thread and the points you are making are basically incorrect. Read through his managerial career and you will see he has generally been successful and over achieved. The only place where he was a 'disaster' was Hull and he was there less than 6 months.
I'm not spinning it as a negative, I'm totally indifferent to him. Wouldn't have been my first choice as you say but he's here now.

My point is that Donald and the local press are selling him as an expert of getting teams up from League One but in reality he's done it twice, 11 years apart. Whatever else he's done might be really impressive but it didn't make him a League One promotion expert like is claimed.

You could argue that he was a failure at Charlton, he had two seasons to get them up after relegation and didn't manage it. He did well at Bolton in difficult circumstances and overall his time at Bradford was a success, but for anyone to label him a safe bet for promotion is completely misguided.

He's been given a chance by the owners, sadly. Nowt I can do or say will change that. He won't be a success and it's purgatory until it finally dawns on the people who matter.

If it was up to me i'd sack him tomorrow.
Yes lets sack him, after all hes had loads of time to turn it around....bedwetting at its finest.🤨

You could argue that he was a failure at Charlton, he had two seasons to get them up after relegation and didn't manage it. He did well at Bolton in difficult circumstances and overall his time at Bradford was a success, but for anyone to label him a safe bet for promotion is completely misguided.
The OP said he'd had 2 promotions in 16 years at this level to show how poor a choice he was. This is completely untrue - he's had 2 promotions, 2 play offs and some occasions where he's saved clubs from relegation in about 6 or 7 seasons at this level. Fair enough you can be underwhelmed but when you start to make things up and basically lie about his managerial achievements as the OP has you totally negate the point you are making. Not one of the managers linked could be labelled as a safe bet for promotion and I'm not sure who has said this. Reading Donald's press release he didn't say was a safe bet for promotion just that he had a good track record, which I think, compared to the others linked, he has. Who said that he's 'a safe bet for promotion'?

....which I doubt will happen soon, he should be asked point blank why he thinks Parkinson is better than Stendel, Ainsworth or even Phillips (none of those seem unrealistic) and made to defend the appointment. We are already back to just getting a press release from the club and no dialogue because they know they're a f***ing disgrace and their decision making is a joke.

I haven't heard one supporter say they're happy about Parkinson, or even defend him based on anything concrete. He's had two promotions from this division in 16 seasons at this level. Nothing other than blind faith could lead you to believe he is a good choice.

Don't expect him to ever be asked but would love to hear him try to justify it.
😭👶

....which I doubt will happen soon, he should be asked point blank why he thinks Parkinson is better than Stendel, Ainsworth or even Phillips (none of those seem unrealistic) and made to defend the appointment. We are already back to just getting a press release from the club and no dialogue because they know they're a f***ing disgrace and their decision making is a joke.

I haven't heard one supporter say they're happy about Parkinson, or even defend him based on anything concrete. He's had two promotions from this division in 16 seasons at this level. Nothing other than blind faith could lead you to believe he is a good choice.

Don't expect him to ever be asked but would love to hear him try to justify it.
parkinson is better than all of them arguably because he has won promotion from this league twice..somehing none of those you mentioend have done.
philips hasnt spent a day as a managerin his life.

I dodnt want parkinson, but on a pure CV basis he is a standout candidate, certainly wany ahead of ainsworth and phillips.
Fella, he's shite, carrying a 30 odd percent win rate, did you think, when he got the job "gggeeeerrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnn"
Don't even answer that mate, cos I already know!
he hasn tbeen shite at this level..he has a great record here...of getting hthe job done

"which I doubt will happen soon"
Now why did he "go in to hiding" eh?
Would it be because so called supporters of Safc continually bombarded him with ville abuse and threats towards him and his family?
If I was him and CM, I'd say fuck you Safc and get out with whatever monies they've paid and see who comes in to replace.
Absolutely sickening what's happened to those 2.

Have they paid any?
parkinson is better than all of them arguably because he has won promotion from this league twice..somehing none of those you mentioend have done.
philips hasnt spent a day as a managerin his life.

I dodnt want parkinson, but on a pure CV basis he is a standout candidate, certainly wany ahead of ainsworth and phillips.

he hasn tbeen shite at this level..he has a great record here...of getting hthe job done
Stendel didn't win promotion from this league? I need to go to the doctors.

Last edited:

Back