New Zealand PM's Response to Johnson's Covid Actions

The impact of masks is minimal, surely that’s obvious by now? Sure, they’re better than nothing but keeping them without numerous other restrictions wouldn’t make much of a difference. Personally, I wouldn’t have complained if they’d still been mandatory but people are making out like they’re the holy grail but cases have soared twice while they’ve been mandatory.
Can’t introduce passports until everyone has had the chance to be double jabbed surely? And that’d mean not opening up until end of August which would put the peak in the busiest period for the NHS. Introducing covid passports would destroy a lot of industries so I can see why they arent being introduced but I can see it happening if things spiral beyond the modelled predictions.

How many viruses have mutated to evade highly effective vaccines? It must have happened before right?
the delta variant already has in restriction made the vaccine less effective

it is insanely irresponsible and I reckon we'll be put on red lists pronto if we continue with this, we will be a petri dish of covid variants that are too dangerous to be exported and we'll be a lone leper colony with no mates

probably won't be able to go to Qatar at this rate
The whole world is a Petri dish for Covid variants. We have the majority of the country with antibodies and are at the forefront of vaccination programmes.
If anyone is a leper it is New Zealand. No one can enter or leave and that has been the case for 18 months.
I think she has done very well for her country but it is tiny and in the middle of nowhere.

Sorry and that but that means fuck all to what I asked. Its been passed round the word 10s of millions of times and theres nowt escaping the vaccice at the moment. The chances of it happening are very slim to zero. We cant live the rest of our lives worrying about something thats very unlikely to happen

f***ing hell this was discussed the other day.

The virus is already escaping the vaccine. The vaccines were designed to counter the original Covid and barely 9 months later a variant has already evolved that is more effective at evading it. Evidence from Israel shows Pfizer is only 64% effective against stopping the Delta variant and about 6% less effective at preventing deaths then the original it was designed for.

The variants are already escaping the vaccines it’s just a question of magnitude if new ones develop

Double Pfizer jab 64% effective against Delta variant, Israel data shows

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

UK's 'awful experiment' will threaten NZ

This is the original article from last night/this morning.

The i have neglected to mention that is an opinion piece. The scientists quoted are not Goverment advisors.

The only government official said if the situation there worsened enough, we could treat it as a high-risk country for border purposes, and even then, that isn’t a direct quote.
Are they not treating is as a high risk country as it is

But the delta variant mutated in a country with almost zero vaccination so it hasn’t purposely learned to evade it has it?
Mutations are random. The virus is not sentient. It doesn't learn anything. All that happens is that a random mutation occurs which gives the new variant a competitive advantage. It then replaces the old variant.

Back