New Music Releases Thread

There are new albums this week from James Yorkston and the Second Hand Orchestra, Kiwi Jr, Lande Hekt, Rhye, Steve Hackett, Thee Conducotr, TRZTN, Elori Saxl, Azmari, Urban Village and Still Corners. Also a Soul Jazz compilation "Cuba: Music and Revolution", which sounds good.
There’s a release tomorrow from “supergroup” (in the loosest sense of the word) The Byson Family with members of The Temperance Movement, The Fratellis, The 68s (Glasgow cover band not the American post punk duo) and Paolo Nutini’s backing band) that my local indie record shop are pushing.

That and Kiwi Jr for me

Last edited:

There are new albums this week from James Yorkston and the Second Hand Orchestra, Kiwi Jr, Lande Hekt, Rhye, Steve Hackett, Thee Conducotr, TRZTN, Elori Saxl, Azmari, Urban Village and Still Corners. Also a Soul Jazz compilation "Cuba: Music and Revolution", which sounds good.
Only really know of Kiwi Jr from that list (obviously heard of Steve Hackett, but...no) so I'll be hopping on that. And CUD's final album is going to be put on Spotify. But other than that obvious choice, paying homage to the (only) Lanchester axe hero :lol:, what else do you think would be worth me giving a go?

Only really know of Kiwi Jr from that list (obviously heard of Steve Hackett, but...no) so I'll be hopping on that. And CUD's final album is going to be put on Spotify. But other than that obvious choice, paying homage to the (only) Lanchester axe hero :lol:, what else do you think would be worth me giving a go?

Still Corners are good (female vocalled shoegazish indie) and I'm a big fan of James Yorkston (Scottish folkish fella, first outing for his Swedish band with this album). Azmari are supposedly a fusion of psychfunk, Ethiopian jazz, dub and Afrobeat. I'll listen to the Cuban compllation (it got 9/10 from Uncut). Urban Village are South African and merge Zulu guitars, indie folk, jazz and South African choirs so they sound up my avenue. Elori Saxl is some sort of experimental composer. Not too familiar with the rest...

Still Corners are good (female vocalled shoegazish indie) and I'm a big fan of James Yorkston (Scottish folkish fella, first outing for his Swedish band with this album). Azmari are supposedly a fusion of psychfunk, Ethiopian jazz, dub and Afrobeat. I'll listen to the Cuban compllation (it got 9/10 from Uncut). Urban Village are South African and merge Zulu guitars, indie folk, jazz and South African choirs so they sound up my avenue. Elori Saxl is some sort of experimental composer. Not too familiar with the rest...
Thanks, Still Corners sound right up my alley, and if Yorkston is my kind of folk, that could be a hit too. I'm not sure anything on here has ever sounded more up your avenue than a merging of zulu guitars, indie folk, jazz and South African choirs - hope you enjoy that one!
Currently giving the following new ones a go:

Garden Centre
Just took a punt on this in the current Rough Trade sale - I guess I missed it first time around (end of 2019), but I do quite like it

Last edited:

Looks like the new Bicep album is out tomorrow as well - the only group I would’ve known from your list!

Getting good reviews, as did their last record.

Looks like the new Bicep album is out tomorrow as well - the only group I would’ve known from your list!

Getting good reviews, as did their last record.

Last record was excellent.
Thanks, Still Corners sound right up my alley, and if Yorkston is my kind of folk, that could be a hit too. I'm not sure anything on here has ever sounded more up your avenue than a merging of zulu guitars, indie folk, jazz and South African choirs - hope you enjoy that one!

Just took a punt on this in the current Rough Trade sale - I guess I missed it first time around (end of 2019), but I do quite like it

Mentioned it earlier, definitely listen to Strange Pleasure by Still Corners.

Last edited:
Just saw a post on Insta about the Lande Hekt album - she’s apparently vocalist for a political punk band from Exeter called Muncie Girls (?). Debut solo album, more subdued and subtle but still has “arresting hooks” and “wordy lyrics” - “songs about coming out, sublimated desires, and shame.” It’s Stereogum’s album of the week, so I’ll give that a go too

Just saw a post on Insta about the Lande Hekt album - she’s apparently vocalist for a political punk band from Exeter called Muncie Girls (?). Debut solo album, more subdued and subtle but still has “arresting hooks” and “wordy lyrics” - “songs about coming out, sublimated desires, and shame.” It’s Stereogum’s album of the week, so I’ll give that a go too
Sounds up my street, I’ll add it to my list.

Sounds up my street, I’ll add it to my list.
Just listened to a couple of Muncie Girls tracks (Clinic and Respect) and they're probably worth a deeper dive, too.
Couple of other odds and ends I've listened to today on Bandcamp

New single, Oh So Real / Room by Honey Lung - grungey indie

Some advance tracks by Hoorsees - not yet another variant of Oh Sees, but a garagey, shoegazey, indie band from France - album out in Feb.

Last edited:
Been really enjoying Newdad at the moment. Didn’t realise Pom Poko had released an album until looking back so shall be listening later.

Only just been listening to Lomelda as of two weeks ago who I missed last year. Loved the record. Hannah Sun has to be one of the songs of last year.

Back