New Music Releases Thread

New stuff I've listened to this week:

Bicep - it's good. To my untrained ear, they sound a lot like Orbital.
James Yorkston & the Second Hand Orchestra - I'm a fan of Yorkston. Not sure this differs vastly from his albums with others (apart from Yorkston/Thorne/Khan). Some of it is very lovely indeed.
Kiwi Jr - excellent. They stick to their Pavement/Modern Lovers mix of jangle and punk (pangle?) and embelish and evolve it.
Still Corners - very good again. Sort of shoegaze/dreampop but with songs and melodies. If you like Beach House, you'll like Still corners.
Urban Village - there's a bit of a Paul Simon circa Graceland vibe to this. A really enjoyable meld of western and African folk traditions.
Coldharbourstores - more dreampop. Also, female fronted. There's a bit of New Order type bass on there at times. Worth a listen. Think it came out late last year.
Wardruna - if you only listen to one Norwegian doomfolk album this year, make it this one. Probably not the soundtrack to a dinner party but I like it.
John Dwyer, Nick Murray, Brad Caulkins, Tom Dolas & Greg Coates - JD normally comes up with catchier names for his bands. This is experimental and largely instrumental. Kind of psychedelic jazz.
Farmer Dave & the Wizard of the West - it's a week for long band names. Farmer Dave has played with Kurt VIle, Beachwood Sparks and others but has now gone frontman. This is a rollickingly enjoyable album of US indie guitar stuff with slight psychedelic undertones. Tis good.

Some long band names there. I'll give AOTW to Yorkston, I think.

Edit: the Soul Jazz Cuban thing is physical only, from what I can tell, so that's on order.

Last edited:
New stuff I've listened to this week:

Bicep - it's good. To my untrained ear, they sound a lot like Orbital.
James Yorkston & the Second Hand Orchestra - I'm a fan of Yorkston. Not sure this differs vastly from his albums with others (apart from Yorkston/Thorne/Khan). Some of it is very lovely indeed.
Kiwi Jr - excellent. They stick to their Pavement/Modern Lovers mix of jangle and punk (pangle?) and embelish and evolve it.
Still Corners - very good again. Sort of shoegaze/dreampop but with songs and melodies. If you like Beach House, you'll like Still corners.
Urban Village - there's a bit of a Paul Simon circa Graceland vibe to this. A really enjoyable meld of western and African folk traditions.
Coldharbourstores - more dreampop. Also, female fronted. There's a bit of New Order type bass on there at times. Worth a listen. Think it came out late last year.
Wardruna - if you only listen to one Norwegian doomfolk album this year, make it this one. Probably not the soundtrack to a dinner party but I like it.
John Dwyer, Nick Murray, Brad Caulkins, Tom Dolas & Greg Coates - JD normally comes up with catchier names for his bands. This is experimental and largely instrumental. Kind of psychedelic jazz.
Farmer Dave & the Wizard of the West - it's a week for long band names. Farmer Dave has played with Kurt VIle, Beachwood Sparks and others but has now gone frontman. This is a rollickingly enjoyable album of US indie guitar stuff with slight psychedelic undertones. Tis good.

Some long band names there. I'll give AOTW to Yorkston, I think.

Edit: the Soul Jazz Cuban thing is physical only, from what I can tell, so that's on order.

was a long interview with James Yorkston on Tom Robinson‘s show on 6music on Saturday, he’s had an interesting career

Been listening to The The's Muscle soundtrack. It was available through their webshop in December, but is now more widely available (amazon etc). It starts with their Record Store Day single from last year 'I Want 2 B U' which is very close in sound to 'This Is The Day'. The rest is instrumental and different. I'd recommend it if you have a remote interest in The The.

The new releases are flowing properly tomorrow. There are albums from Ani DiFranco, Arlo Parks, Chris Garneau, Goat Girl, Langhorne Slim, Lawrence Rothman, Lia Ices, Lucero, Madlib, Martin Gore, Steven Wilson, Terry Gross, The Besnard Lakes, The Notwist, Weezer, Nahawa Doumbia, the Indaba Is compilation (of South African jazz), Albertine Sarges, Rats On Rafts, LZNDRF, Lambert, Anna B Savage, Jim Ghedi, Lice, Cobalt Chapel, Body andTamar Aphek.

The new releases are flowing properly tomorrow. There are albums from Ani DiFranco, Arlo Parks, Chris Garneau, Goat Girl, Langhorne Slim, Lawrence Rothman, Lia Ices, Lucero, Madlib, Martin Gore, Steven Wilson, Terry Gross, The Besnard Lakes, The Notwist, Weezer, Nahawa Doumbia, the Indaba Is compilation (of South African jazz), Albertine Sarges, Rats On Rafts, LZNDRF, Lambert, Anna B Savage, Jim Ghedi, Lice, Cobalt Chapel, Body andTamar Aphek.

LZNDRFs previous effort was excellent.

Lice was out a few weeks ago, and it’s really quite good

Ani DiFranco and Lucero for me from that list I think.

I’ll probably also do what I always do with Weezer - give it a couple of listens in the hope that it’ll be anywhere near the quality of their first 4 albums, be incredibly disappointed, then never listen to it again.

Fleet Foxes album 'shore' out officially next Friday 5th Feb, only available in uk and europe as been an outbreak of covid in LA factory producing packaging etc. Delayed till March in North America.

Goat Girl top of the pile for me. Didn’t realise one of them had undergone treatment for stage 4 cancer recently.

another weezer album! they're incredibly prolific, its just a shame its been mostly shit since the red album at least

Back