New Music Releases Thread

Wallace Roney RIP. Died today of virus related problems. 59 yr old US jazz trumpeter.

The vast majority of his stuff is the jazz I can’t stand: fast jumpy hoy as many notes in as possible stuff, music for musicians as my da calls it. BUT his version of the schmaltzy nausea inducing Beatle abomination Michelle is a thing of beauty. He treats it in a similar way Coltrane did with My Favourite Things all those years ago. Dipping in and out of its melody every now and then blah blah blah hmmm jazz nice etc.
Do yourselves a favour and pop ower to the streaming source of your choice and give it a go. It’s only five minutes or so and let’s face it your not going anywhere are you? You nivver know you may actually like it. You won’t have to tell anyone. It’ll be our secret.

My summary of recent releases I've listened to this week. Obviously, none of them are as good as Bob's new song:

Nine Inch Nails - two albums of ambience. Not typical of the band but rather good.
The Orb - deluxe version of the album. Very long, excellent in places. Quite dubular.
Hailu Mergia - Ethiopian jazz. Not as good as his previous release but pretty decent nonetheless.
Dana Gavanski - I'm impressed. Vocally a lot like Cate le Bon.
Brian Fallon - competent enough blue collar rock. You know what you're getting with Fallon.
FACS - they're almost very good but not quite. Vaguely industrial rock.
Lilly Hiatt - I really like this. Country rock from the daughter of someone famous.
Daniel Avery & Alessandro Cortini - ambient electronica, a little less brusque than Avery's previous albums.
Me and That Man - I'm slightly disappointed. A lot of the countryish/goth influences on the previous album have gone.
Half Waif - nice enough female singersongwriter album. Good voice.
Las Kellies - enjoyable, a bit punk-funkish.
Waxahatchee - good, seems to be a grower. Not sure, however, that it merits the reviews.
Sufjan Stevens & Lowell Brams - pleasant enough ambient electronica. Best tracks are those with some vocals on. As others have said, we want sad, folkie Sufjan back.
Songdog - really good Americana/blues influenced stuff from Wales. I need to investigate the back catalogue.
James Righton - former Klaxon makes an intriguing but not particularly danceable pop album.
Tamikrest - properly good desert blues rock. Excellent!
Sorry - I'm not entirely convinced. Sounds like I should really enjoy it but for some reason I don't that much.
San Fermin - this is good. Like a less obtuse Dirty Projectors jamming with early Decemberists or something.
Nap Eyes - they've not reinvented their wheel. Still chugging indie rock with clever lyrics, sung sardonically. Still excellent!

Albums of the week from Dana Gavanski, Songdog, Tamikrest and Nap Eyes. (forgetting the Bob song as it's not an album)

My summary of recent releases I've listened to this week. Obviously, none of them are as good as Bob's new song:

Nine Inch Nails - two albums of ambience. Not typical of the band but rather good.
The Orb - deluxe version of the album. Very long, excellent in places. Quite dubular.
Hailu Mergia - Ethiopian jazz. Not as good as his previous release but pretty decent nonetheless.
Brian Fallon - competent enough blue collar rock. You know what you're getting with Fallon.
Lilly Hiatt - I really like this. Country rock from the daughter of someone famous.
Daniel Avery & Alessandro Cortini - ambient electronica, a little less brusque than Avery's previous albums.
Me and That Man - I'm slightly disappointed. A lot of the countryish/goth influences on the previous album have gone.
Waxahatchee - good, seems to be a grower. Not sure, however, that it merits the reviews.
Sufjan Stevens & Lowell Brams - pleasant enough ambient electronica. Best tracks are those with some vocals on. As others have said, we want sad, folkie Sufjan back.
Songdog - really good Americana/blues influenced stuff from Wales. I need to investigate the back catalogue.
James Righton - former Klaxon makes an intriguing but not particularly danceable pop album.
Sorry - I'm not entirely convinced. Sounds like I should really enjoy it but for some reason I don't that much.
San Fermin - this is good. Like a less obtuse Dirty Projectors jamming with early Decemberists or something.
Nap Eyes - they've not reinvented their wheel. Still chugging indie rock with clever lyrics, sung sardonically. Still excellent!

Albums of the week from Dana Gavanski, Songdog, Tamikrest and Nap Eyes. (forgetting the Bob song as it's not an album)
A good summary! I’m taking the Arkle prize for having listened to all of them, and agreeing with most of the above (I like Sorry and find Nap Eyes dull as dishwater)

my album of the week, however is.....Melt Yourself Down

I’ve not listened to as much as I would have liked this week, but Lilly Hiat sounds right up my street - will give it a spin when I’m working from the spare room tomorrow morning.

Lilly Hiatt is a really good album, didn’t know she was John’s daughter, should have guessed like.
That Mapache is excellent from a couple of weeks back.
Waxahatchee is the best I’ve listened to this year. Must have played it 10 times already, love it.

just had quick skim through of Las Kellies and sounds really good. Will listen properly tomorrow

Really like Dana Gavanski. She's come out of nowhere for me.

Been a long time off here, hi all!

Going to work my way backwards through a few things over the next few weeks. Not sure about Dirty Projectors mini release, really enjoyed Sorry live when I’ve seen them so looking forward to listening to the album.

Utterly obsessed with Gospel For A New Century by Yves Tumor so have high hopes for the record coming out soon.

Albums this week from Anna Burch, Black Atlass, Born Ruffians, Empress Of, James Elkington, Peach Pit, Purity Ring, Tetema, The Monkees, Thundercat, TOPS, Yves Tunor, M Ward, Pigs*7, Parsonfield and The Lovely Eggs. A quieter week but still some good 'uns.

Haven't thought of Born Ruffians in a while so will give that a go. Purity Ring, Thundercat, Yves Tunor as previously mentioned and M Ward probably my listens on that list.

Albums this week from Anna Burch, Black Atlass, Born Ruffians, Empress Of, James Elkington, Peach Pit, Purity Ring, Tetema, The Monkees, Thundercat, TOPS, Yves Tunor, M Ward, Pigs*7, Parsonfield and The Lovely Eggs. A quieter week but still some good 'uns.

also Warm Digits. Loved their early motorik electronic stuff although I fear that their evolving a bit poppy for me.

Back