New Music Releases Thread

A few artists are doing “living room” live-streaks at the moment. Watched Sarah Shook last night as part of Bloodshot Records SXSW line up and it was very good - just her and her guitar in what I assume was her living room with some off-camera backing vocals.

AJJ did similar on St Patrick’s Day

Yep, Ezra Furman for one.

Currently sitting at the patio doors in the sun, looking out into the garden and to James Righton’s (former Klaxons) solo album. Not a bad listen.

Baxter Dury is a good one but every song seems to follow the same structure.

I’ve giving up on The Orielles one too. Can’t get into it. It’s not bad but just sounds like a 90’s band that I wouldn’t have giving time of the day too.

Still enjoying Porridge Radio too. The album made it to 111 in the charts!

If anyone is looking for anything to read, I highly recommened Broken Greek by Peter Paphides. Details him growing up in the late 70’s/80’s and discovering music. It’s really funny and a decent length.

Last edited:
Saying this as someone that's been a fan of his music for over a decade, I will never understand how Childish Gambino has become one of the biggest musicians in the world.

If you like your PunK rock with quirky catchy hook lines, this link was our album from 2017. We released a follow up with 7 new songs and 7 older ones in 2018 and have a new album due out next month. Our stuff is here litterbug.bandcamp.com

Right my summary of newish stuff from this week:

Tornado Wallace - as recommended by @mad cyril. Very good. reminds me a bit of Death In Vegas.
Tony Allen & Hugh Masakela - already mentioned above, excellent!
Baxter Dury - really enjoyable. I can see what @MoJoBo means about song structure though.
Bobby Conn - reliably funky and reliably weird. He's very good!
Arbouretum - they've quietly become one of America's finest psych-rock bands. This is top quality.
Marla Hansen - very good. Not sure how I'd describe it. Breathy vocals, synths, violin etc.
Rustin Man - a bit more varied than his previous album. Waitesian in parts (aside from the voice).
The Wants - I'm a week behind with this. They've been discussed here already. Artsy art rock with pop hooks.
Myrkur - won't be to everyone's taste. Very much at the folk end of Scandi fol metal. Reminds me of Otava Yo, which is a massive plus.
dumama & kechou - Joburg based South African/Algerian combo. They sound, at times, like both CocoRosie and Letseatgrandma but with an African vibe.
Mapache - cosmic acousticana from California. Excellent harmony vocals.

I'm yet to give the Childish Gambino album a listen.

Album of the week: a toss up between Tony Allen & Hugh Masakela, Arbouretum, Myrkur and dumama & kechou probably. All very good though!

there was a live Unthanks album out on Friday - Diversions 5 - live and unaccompanied

actually the info for this is all over the place - Discogs says it came out in Feb (so sorry if it was already mentioned on here!), last week was possibly the version with the film included, and Rough Trade over here says it's not out until April!

Last edited:
Been enjoying Corner shop and porridge radio, both excellent.

Baxter Dury starts off great first 2 tracks brilliant, then it’s all a bit shit. I’ve liked all the previous albums, so a bit disappointing for me.

Been enjoying Corner shop and porridge radio, both excellent.

Baxter Dury starts off great first 2 tracks brilliant, then it’s all a bit shit. I’ve liked all the previous albums, so a bit disappointing for me.

I like all of the B Dury album a lot but I agree the first two tracks are the best.

Back