New Music Releases Thread

Apple Music has just told me that The Mahones Unplugged was released today, I didn’t think it was due until next month.

They self release though and are stuck in Germany thanks to Coronavirus so maybe Finny McConnell was bored and decided to get it out (or they need the money from downloads and streams to keep them going until they get home).

Gonna be a lot of music listened to in coming weeks.

From today

Four Tet - it sounds like Four Tet. Feels like it’s been done
Porridge Radio - saw at EOTR and were fun. This is excellent
Deap Lips - expected nonsense but it’s actually rather enjoyable

New albums tomorrow from Circa Waves, Code Orange, DOA, Deap Lips (Deap Valley and Flaming Lips), Four Tet, Grouplove, Hilary Woods, Niall Horan, Peter Bjorn and John, Porridge Radio, The Boomtown Rats, The Districts, The Garden, Ultraista, Vundabar, Yumi Zouma, The Wants, Shabaka and the Ancestors, Nazar, Maria McKee, LA Takedown, Joyfultalk, Early James, Sam Doores and Pulled By Magnets.
I like Deap Vally and I like Flaming Lips. Hoying it on now.

Gonna be a lot of music listened to in coming weeks.

From today

Four Tet - it sounds like Four Tet. Feels like it’s been done
Porridge Radio - saw at EOTR and were fun. This is excellent
Deap Lips - expected nonsense but it’s actually rather enjoyable

Listening to Four Tet as I type, 7 tracks in and I really like it.

My summary of the week's new releases. I get a lot more listened to with no sport on:

Ultraista - interesting. Sounds a bit Thom Yorke (with female vocals).
Peter Bjorn and John - quite dull. Scandi-indie by numbers. You're better than this, lads!
LA Takedown - noirish largely instrumental filmic synth stuff. Very good!
Early James - pretty good Americana. A solid debut!
Sam Doores - more good but not great Americana
Deap Lips - enjoyable weirdness. Best thing the Flaming LIps have been involved in for a while.
Maria McKee - a very good, literate album. Reminds me, in some ways, of Marianne Faithful. Recommended.
Nazar - African electronica. Interesting without grabbing me by the pants.
Shabaka and the Ancestors - Afrocentric jazz. Pretty much marvellous! Album of the week.
Porridge Radio - good. Reminds me a bit of The Long Blondes and, probably, some other female fronted bands from the 2006-2008 period.
Lorelle Meets The Obsolete - an EP. Two tracks that weren't on their last album plus two remixes of songs that were.
Four Tet - as @chunkylover53 says, it sounds like Four Tet. Enjoyable but no major move away from what Kieran Hebden usually does.

My summary of the week's new releases. I get a lot more listened to with no sport on:

Ultraista - interesting. Sounds a bit Thom Yorke (with female vocals).
Peter Bjorn and John - quite dull. Scandi-indie by numbers. You're better than this, lads!
LA Takedown - noirish largely instrumental filmic synth stuff. Very good!
Early James - pretty good Americana. A solid debut!
Sam Doores - more good but not great Americana
Deap Lips - enjoyable weirdness. Best thing the Flaming LIps have been involved in for a while.
Maria McKee - a very good, literate album. Reminds me, in some ways, of Marianne Faithful. Recommended.
Nazar - African electronica. Interesting without grabbing me by the pants.
Shabaka and the Ancestors - Afrocentric jazz. Pretty much marvellous! Album of the week.
Porridge Radio - good. Reminds me a bit of The Long Blondes and, probably, some other female fronted bands from the 2006-2008 period.
Lorelle Meets The Obsolete - an EP. Two tracks that weren't on their last album plus two remixes of songs that were.
Four Tet - as @chunkylover53 says, it sounds like Four Tet. Enjoyable but no major move away from what Kieran Hebden usually does.
The chunky album of the week is also Shabaka and the Ancestors. It gets the full two thumbs up!

I like the Four tet album, you know what you’re getting.

My album of week is New York band The Wants. New wave / post punk / motorik.

Back