New Music Releases Thread

Ah that's disappointing to hear, not got round to it yet.

There's an album by Beatrice Dillon released today, never heard of her before but I've been told to listen to it by a mate. Similar to Four Tet apparently. Described as the most thrilling new artist in British Electronic music in the Guardian in one of the reviews I quickly glanced at earlier.

Ill check her out mate as I’ve not heard her before. Cheers.

With the Against all Logic record, it’s not that I don’t like it, it just could have been better. Still I’ve only had one listen.

Listened to Blossoms for the first time today. I was expecting some kind of psychedelic throwback for some reason, but they sound more like Black Lace. I should keep an eye on this thread really.

Ah that's disappointing to hear, not got round to it yet.

There's an album by Beatrice Dillon released today, never heard of her before but I've been told to listen to it by a mate. Similar to Four Tet apparently. Described as the most thrilling new artist in British Electronic music in the Guardian in one of the reviews I quickly glanced at earlier.

Saw the Guardian review. Again, intrigued but not listened yet.

A few recent listens...

Frazey Ford new album is superb, been checking out her previous albums, all top class. She’s playing gosforth civic theatre in June.

Enjoying the haden triplets class harmonies old style. Spotted the opening track in the film 1917. (Not their version)

Isobel Campbell album is an interesting listen, plenty of variation, very good.

Ben Watt is a slow burner, coming together on the 3rd listen.

A few recent listens...

Frazey Ford new album is superb, been checking out her previous albums, all top class. She’s playing gosforth civic theatre in June.

Enjoying the haden triplets class harmonies old style. Spotted the opening track in the film 1917. (Not their version)

just had a quick skim through Frazey Ford, sounds great. Will listen fully tomorrow

HMLTD were class last night. I was absolutely battered by the time they got on stage like, didn't really anticipate a 22:30 start. :lol: Awful hangover today. The album is alright actually, I expected a car crash but was pleasantly surprised.

A few recent listens...

The Frazey Ford album is indeed superb. She’s got a great voice, cheers for the heads up.

Dip by Tiña is a canny single.

I take it that’s all they’ve put out at the moment as their Apple Music page seems to be mainly for a French hip hop group by the same name. :lol:

My summing up of new/newish stuff I've been listening to this week:

Khruangbin & Leon Bridges - an EP. Both are good individually but arguably better together. Bridges moves away from his more soulful stuff and Khruangbin benefit a bit from vocals.
Mark Kozelek, Ben Boye & Jim White - standard Kozelek lyrically, musically excellent. Very laidback.
John Moreland - pretty good Americana singer-songwriter stuff. He's got a growing catalogue of this stuff.
Sarah Mary Chadwick - Australian solo artist. Interesting stuff. Quite varied in terms of instrumentation. Might investigate her earlier stuff.
Alex Rex - back to the singalong folk/prog madness of his first album after last year's low key 'Otterburn'. Exceptionally good and a bit insane.
The Lone Bellow - okay, I guess. Sanitised folk rock, a bit like The Head and the Heart.
La Roux - a bit dull TBH. Reviews have been good but it just seems drab.
The Homesick - I quite like this. They remind me a bit of Field Music if they were a little more post-punk.
Isobel Campbell - excellent, if a tad bonkers. Didn't expect a Tom Petty cover.
Antibalas - Very good Afrobeat from America. First time I've really listened to them.
Arborist - Northern Irish singer-songwriter returns. Quite gentle at times. There's a lovely spoken word track about one of his dad's mates.
Frazey Ford - really, really good. Reminds me a little of Lambchop's Nixon. She's got a great voice.
HMLTD - could have been dreadful, could have been brilliant. Lies somewhere between. Recorded, you don't quite get the energy, fun and ludicrousness of the live shows.
Shopping - lo-fi post-punk stuff. Not as good, for me, as either Sacred Paws or Trash Kit (both of whom Rachel Aggs is also a member of).
Gil Scott Heron/Makaya McCraven - a remix/reimagining of "I'm New Here". It works well. Not listened to the latter in a while so can't compare directly.
Waclaw Zimpel - this is marvellous. Droning, propulsive electronica with screeing sax at times. Four long tracks.
Beatrice Dillon - not sure what the Guardian 5 star review was about. Maybe I'm missing something but it just seems like decent enough electronica with jazzy flecks.

My summing up of new/newish stuff I've been listening to this week:

Khruangbin & Leon Bridges - an EP. Both are good individually but arguably better together. Bridges moves away from his more soulful stuff and Khruangbin benefit a bit from vocals.
Mark Kozelek, Ben Boye & Jim White - standard Kozelek lyrically, musically excellent. Very laidback.
John Moreland - pretty good Americana singer-songwriter stuff. He's got a growing catalogue of this stuff.
Sarah Mary Chadwick - Australian solo artist. Interesting stuff. Quite varied in terms of instrumentation. Might investigate her earlier stuff.
Alex Rex - back to the singalong folk/prog madness of his first album after last year's low key 'Otterburn'. Exceptionally good and a bit insane.
The Lone Bellow - okay, I guess. Sanitised folk rock, a bit like The Head and the Heart.
La Roux - a bit dull TBH. Reviews have been good but it just seems drab.
The Homesick - I quite like this. They remind me a bit of Field Music if they were a little more post-punk.
Isobel Campbell - excellent, if a tad bonkers. Didn't expect a Tom Petty cover.
Antibalas - Very good Afrobeat from America. First time I've really listened to them.
Arborist - Northern Irish singer-songwriter returns. Quite gentle at times. There's a lovely spoken word track about one of his dad's mates.
Frazey Ford - really, really good. Reminds me a little of Lambchop's Nixon. She's got a great voice.
HMLTD - could have been dreadful, could have been brilliant. Lies somewhere between. Recorded, you don't quite get the energy, fun and ludicrousness of the live shows.
Shopping - lo-fi post-punk stuff. Not as good, for me, as either Sacred Paws or Trash Kit (both of whom Rachel Aggs is also a member of).
Gil Scott Heron/Makaya McCraven - a remix/reimagining of "I'm New Here". It works well. Not listened to the latter in a while so can't compare directly.
Waclaw Zimpel - this is marvellous. Droning, propulsive electronica with screeing sax at times. Four long tracks.
Beatrice Dillon - not sure what the Guardian 5 star review was about. Maybe I'm missing something but it just seems like decent enough electronica with jazzy flecks.

fully agree that the Guardian love for Beatrice Dillon is a bit over the top.

Frazey Ford is indeed great.

Back