Hot Chip
Nilufa Yanya
Frog
Martha
WH Lung
Devendra Banhart
Gong Gong Gong
Kiwanuka

Biggest disappointments: Sharon Van Etten, Angel Olsen and Alex Cameron.

fully agree with the Alex Cameron disappointment. I loved his first for his electronic life-fi and the second was a great pop record. This one was just a bit shit.
I've just discovered the Octo/Octa album that came out in September. It sounds a bit old school house/techno

great shout.

Last edited:

Forgot to say, there's nowt much new album-wise until January 10th. May pick through some of the stuff I've missed in the next few days. Will report back with anything good.

Forgot to say, there's nowt much new album-wise until January 10th. May pick through some of the stuff I've missed in the next few days. Will report back with anything good.
I've noticed a lot this year that there's a few groups rather than releasing an album in the autumn (like they used to do), they're releasing a single later in the year and then the album in the new year (when traditionally it's quiet). The Orielles and Bombay Bicycle Club spring to mind

I've noticed a lot this year that there's a few groups rather than releasing an album in the autumn (like they used to do), they're releasing a single later in the year and then the album in the new year (when traditionally it's quiet). The Orielles and Bombay Bicycle Club spring to mind

Yeah, there's a few doing that. In the past, it was a good way of getting a high placing in the album chart but there's a lot of potentially very good releases early doors 2020.

Yeah, there's a few doing that. In the past, it was a good way of getting a high placing in the album chart but there's a lot of potentially very good releases early doors 2020.
Anti-Flag, Andy Shauf, AJJ and Drive By Truckers all in January, off the top of my head

just got round to looking at what i've been listening to mainly this year...

The Raconteurs & Help Us Stranger
Chemical Bros & No Geography
The Cinematic Orchestra & To Believe
Karen O & Danger Mouse with Lix Prima
Fat White Family & Serfs Up!

Nils Frahm, Hot Chip & Steve Mason on the cusp...

More a sign of growing age, but i quite liked Billie Eilish when the bairn had her music on. With the way music is consumed it seems like the idea of a great album from start to end is perhaps diminishing... there were a couple of really great individual songs amongst some bang average albums, like the ride album (wrong thread i know but an individual track called trouble in town by coldplay {!!} was i thought actually good).

The annual Rough Trade Counter Culture comp is, as usual, excellent as a summing up of the year and a look to what could be good in 2020.

Other than that, I've been matching up with things. The L'Epee album and Sandy (Alex G) are things I missed somehow that turn out to be really good. Also, enjoying the latest Dylan bootleg series thing "Travellin' Through", primarily for the tracks with Johnny Cash.

I hadn't realised that

a) Church of the Cosmic Skull released an album at the back end of November (it's very good).
b) Graham Coxon's "The End of the F***ing World 2" had been released digitally lasy year (physical release is back end of this month).

Saw Lankum last Sunday in Dublin. They were absolutely amazing. You could hear a pin drop in the venue. Would highly recommend seeing them if you get the chance.

they brought spider Stacy out at the end to do a song with them. Was very funny they all kept looking over at him like they couldn’t believe they were sharing the stage with him.

contender for gig of the year in the first week of January.

I could be making this up (probably am) but every time Field Music release an album it always seems to be right at the start of the year.

Back