New Music Releases Thread

Anyone who likes heavier stuff, Slipknot have just released the album of their careers. Absolutely brilliant record.
The first two Bon Iver albums are his best work I'd say. If you mean other than his Bon Iver stuff, Unmap by Volcano Choir would probably be the stand out.

Bon Iver will never top FEFA like, I like all his other stuff but that record was fantastic.

Last edited:
The new singles released from the forthcoming Blanck Mass album are incredible.
His last album was excellent and this looks to be another belter.

Anyone heard the new Follakzoid yet? Only just realised they had a new one out now reading London in Stereo magazine in the pub!
[/

Yeah it’s great mate. Only 4 tracks but each one about 25 minutes. Not too dissimilar to previous stuff but still a move on.

My summation of new stuff I've listened to this week:

Spike Fuck's "The Smackwave" EP - Australian band (Melbourne, I think). Seems to have come out last year in Oz but has a wider release and extra track now. The name and EP name suggest otherwise but they're very much classical Aussie alt-pop in the style of The Go Betweens and The Triffids (the latter particularly). Very good and well worthy of further investigation.
Bon Iver - much discussed here and elsewhere. For me, better than "22, A Million" but not as good as "For Emma..." or "Bon Iver". (or indeed the underrated "Blood Bank" EP).
Fionn Regan - seems like his first album in ages (actually 2 years). Lovely electronica tinged folk.
Purple Pilgrims - harmonised vocals ahoy! Sort of weird, electro-folk from New Zealand. On Flying Nun but doesn't really sound typical of the label. File under good but strange.
Marika Hackman - excellent, well polished almost pop singer songwriter guitar stuff. Should see her getting a wider audience.
Why? - somewhat bitty (not in the Little Britain sense). 19 tracks in 32 mins means that there seem to be a lot of good ideas that don't really complete. The longer tracks are really good.
Four Fists - this came out last year but I missed it. Collaborative album by POS and Astronautalis (who have worked together a fair bit already). Not sure it's the finest work of either but it's a good album.
Catrin Finch & Seckou Keita - on the back of seeing them at Cambridge Folk Festival. Lovely harp/kora combo.

Back