New Music Releases Thread

Right, I'm nine albums into listening to 14 new and newish albums for the week. So far:

Society of the Silver Cross - I really, really like this. I really enjoy the way it starts off shoegaze-spaghetti western and ends sounding like Sparklehorse (a band with my name in it if ever there was one). Need to investigate the back catalogue.
Peter Cat Recording Co. - came out a while ago, track on the Uncut CD impressed me. They're from New Delhi. Kind of easy listening indie. Reminds me a bit of Eels at times. Top notch!
Angie McMahon - singer songwriter from Australia. Inevitably, getting Courtney comparisons but other than being from Melbourne and playing guitar, I'm not sure they have that much in common. She has a much deeper voice for starters...
Drunken Prayer - lyrical bar room Americana. Reminds me of Warren Zevon. They're front by Morgan Geer, who also performs solo. I reckon @Mickdundee will like this a lot.
De Lorians - as mentioned by @oldmanofthemountain a couple of weeks back. Zappa loving Japanese space jazz types. Well worth a listen!
Rosalie Cunningham - former singer of Purson (me neither!). This is very odd. Has the feel of an album made in the early 70s, simultaneously a bit prog and a bit Vaudeville.
Sarathy Korwar - he's a US born, India raised, UK resident tabla player. This album combines jazz, electronica and hiphop and lyrically reflects on what it is to be an Indian living in the UK. It's exceptional!
Chris Gantry - bit of a change of pace here. He's a septugenarian and was involved in the outlaw country scene in the late 60s before disappearing from recording. I think this is the third album of his return. Excellent songs, played well.
Gauche - a bit of a New York punk supergroup, including members of Priests and Downtown Boys. Sax driven, shouty fun punk stuff.

Listening to the oddly named Ranky Tanky now. They have a jazz influenced take on traditional Gullah music (the music made by the slaves who were, um, enslaved in Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas). First three songs are lovely!

Right, I'm nine albums into listening to 14 new and newish albums for the week. So far:

Society of the Silver Cross - I really, really like this. I really enjoy the way it starts off shoegaze-spaghetti western and ends sounding like Sparklehorse (a band with my name in it if ever there was one). Need to investigate the back catalogue.
Peter Cat Recording Co. - came out a while ago, track on the Uncut CD impressed me. They're from New Delhi. Kind of easy listening indie. Reminds me a bit of Eels at times. Top notch!
Angie McMahon - singer songwriter from Australia. Inevitably, getting Courtney comparisons but other than being from Melbourne and playing guitar, I'm not sure they have that much in common. She has a much deeper voice for starters...
Drunken Prayer - lyrical bar room Americana. Reminds me of Warren Zevon. They're front by Morgan Geer, who also performs solo. I reckon @Mickdundee will like this a lot.
De Lorians - as mentioned by @oldmanofthemountain a couple of weeks back. Zappa loving Japanese space jazz types. Well worth a listen!
Rosalie Cunningham - former singer of Purson (me neither!). This is very odd. Has the feel of an album made in the early 70s, simultaneously a bit prog and a bit Vaudeville.
Sarathy Korwar - he's a US born, India raised, UK resident tabla player. This album combines jazz, electronica and hiphop and lyrically reflects on what it is to be an Indian living in the UK. It's exceptional!
Chris Gantry - bit of a change of pace here. He's a septugenarian and was involved in the outlaw country scene in the late 60s before disappearing from recording. I think this is the third album of his return. Excellent songs, played well.
Gauche - a bit of a New York punk supergroup, including members of Priests and Downtown Boys. Sax driven, shouty fun punk stuff.

Listening to the oddly named Ranky Tanky now. They have a jazz influenced take on traditional Gullah music (the music made by the slaves who were, um, enslaved in Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas). First three songs are lovely!

Society of The Silver Cross - agree completely. Angie McMahon - a bit too downbeat for my tastes but some will love it. Rosalie Cunningham - as I said earlier, it's a bit 'wtf'. I agree about the 70s thing, but would perhaps go a bit further back than that! I get a sort of Kinks/Small Faces/Sparks crossover going on there, absolutely love it. She's batshit mentalist, that's for sure. Haven't heard the rest but will check out PCR Co, Drunken Prayer for sure and probably Chris Gantry and Ranky Tanky as well. Cheers for the reviews @Arkle

Edit: And personally I think the Of Monsters and Men release is excellent. Not threatening, not envelope pushing but cracking indie/euro pop. So shoot me.

Last edited:
Completing the set and squaring the circle:

Ranky Tanky - described earlier! Very good indeed.
The Rhythm Method - imagine Sleaford Mods if they'd come from the home counties and listened to Haircut 100, Madness and Chas & Dave instead of hip hop. You're kind of half way to The Rhythm Method. There are songs on here that would have been hits back in the day.
Bill Ryder-Jones - as both @chunkylover53 and @Don'tListenToTheHat have said, this is really lovely and shows off the quality of his songs.
Violent Femmes - it's alright. A bit wacky for wack's sake at times. Neither of the two comeback albums have been anywhere near the quality of their first three albums or "Why Do Birds Sing?". The sinister has gone...
The B Boys - listened to this because they're on Captured Tracks, which is an excellent label. It's very good but, bloody hell, if you'd told me I was listening to a new Parquet Courts album, I'd have believed you.

Violent Femmes - it's alright. A bit wacky for wack's sake at times. Neither of the two comeback albums have been anywhere near the quality of their first three albums or "Why Do Birds Sing?". The sinister has gone...
You forgot to mention that it sounds absolutely nothing like the Barenaked Ladies!

I like most of it, like 98% of it, but are all their songs spoken word? The previous one was, too - I don't mind it when bands do that as a one-off but I think I'd struggle if that's the style for all. A bit too much warble/vibrato in his voice at times when he sings - that might get old for me as well.

I like most of it, like 98% of it, but are all their songs spoken word? The previous one was, too - I don't mind it when bands do that as a one-off but I think I'd struggle if that's the style for all. A bit too much warble/vibrato in his voice at times when he sings - that might get old for me as well.

Yeah they're quite samey. It's a bit of a novelty I expect will wear thin after a while.

When it's good it's very good though.

There were new singles by New Model Army and Sleater-Kinney this past week.

Sebadoh were excellent on Saturday, played most of the new album and it sounded really good live. Crowd was shit, though, so they cut 3-4 songs from the regular set :evil:

Jetpacks tonight - looking forward to that, but it's the end of an anniversary tour and a founder member has announced he's leaving, so I wonder if it's the start of the end for them. Bad Religion Friday - very excited for that as I've never seen them and the missus has had that good fortune a few times. Busy week!

Right, 1st August, and we have albums tomorrow from Berlin, Cherie Currie & Brie Darling, Cross Record, Mabel, Northlane, Russian Circles, Skillet, The Bird and the Bee, The Rocket Summer, Ty Segall, Tyler Childers, Volbeat, Young Guv, Karine Polwart, Nerija, Native Harrow, Francis Lung, Junkboy, Iamthemorning and Haiku Salut.

Back