New Music Releases Thread

I'm going to say challenging. Probably the only album of the ones I listed that I didn't really get on with.
I really enjoyed it on first listen, musically it’s what you’d want from a proper post rock album. I found the vocals at times had a bit of rnb feel to them as well strangely enough. Think it will definitely be a grower on further listens.

Pearl Jam with solid reviews, really looking forward to it. The single Dark Matter has serious Blood vibes, and I thought we would never hear anything like that again at this stage of their career...

New Kiran Leonard record was out in the week, with members of caroline

Tis good. For proper new music thread people
This is brilliant. But then London-based trust fund art school kids faffing about making avant-garde guitar nonsense is my favourite genre.
One I missed - Blue Bendy release their debut tomorrow.
This is very good as well.

Last edited:
Weekly review time...

Taylor Swift: lyrically excellent but overly long (3218 tracks) and a bit one paced.
Kiran Leonard: I like this, orchestral, ornate, a bit daft, a bit pretentious.
John Moreland: I understand the Springsteen comparison above because vocally, he is similar. A strong album of rootsy Americana.
Lucy Rose: her folksie early stuff has been upgraded to something midway between Elbow and Keane. Strong voice.
Local Natives: decent. Slightly psych synthy alt rock stuff.
Cloud Nothings: indie rock. Decent enough, quite brief. Same as they always do.
Pillow Queens: pretty good, they sound a lot more American than they were, given that they're Irish, I believe.
Pearl Jam: as mentioned above, their best in a long time. A couple of the more ballady songs meander a bit and the first half is stronger than the second half.
Claire Rousay: emotronica. Really good, actually, starts out really strong, maybe doesn't quite keep the level up (4 songs in, i was thinking album of the year contender)
Melvins: arty noise rock with hooks. 20 minute opener is strong and She's Got Weird Arms could be a hit in another universe. Like Pearl jam, they've been doing this for decades.
T Bone Burnett: excellent Americana from the man who normally isn't front and centre. Well worth a listen if you like the Billy Bragg & Wilco albums.
Big|Brave: the North American equivalent of Scandi dark folk. This is terrific
The Baby Seals: all female three piece, local to me (I vaguely know the drummer). A solid enough debut.
Paraorchestra (with Brett Anderson & Charles Hazlewood): a live album of songs about death. Some well known (The Killing Moon, Enjoy the Silence, Holes), some from the Anderson back catalogue. The orchestration is really good - the cover of Holes in particular is magnificent.

Album of the week: comfortably Big|Brave.

Back