New Music Releases Thread

I’m not certain I could read it. I didn’t know the bloke, but they were a band I saw right from the very start (a dozen people) and watched as they grew
Yeah, I was hesitant / dubious about my ability to read it as well. It took a while to play his music again in the house, to be honest, and we're still not always comfortable with it, but it's really not a downbeat read. At least it's not so far. It's not really a book about Scott, so I used vehicle loosely. He's talked about other friendships, too, incl being at Uni in Durham, oddly enough, and I'm over 100 pages into it (I think it's about 220 total) and I'm not sure he's even mentioned Scott by name, even though he is the main friendship. It's more talking about the times he's had with male friends through his life, shared experiences and likes, keeping memories alive, etc and the way it's written, presumably intentionally, it inspires you to think about times you've had with old friends, fleeting friendships that came and went, how important they are to the core of who you are etc. It was sent to me by a friend who I've known since junior school, and I'm sure that's why he got it for me, rather than the Scott angle - he knows I was a fan, but he wasn't really familiar with them and didn't know he was the subject when reading it. I'm probably doing a shite job of conveying it tbh :lol:

Yeah, I was hesitant / dubious about my ability to read it as well. It took a while to play his music again in the house, to be honest, and we're still not always comfortable with it, but it's really not a downbeat read. At least it's not so far. It's not really a book about Scott, so I used vehicle loosely. He's talked about other friendships, too, incl being at Uni in Durham, oddly enough, and I'm over 100 pages into it (I think it's about 220 total) and I'm not sure he's even mentioned Scott by name, even though he is the main friendship. It's more talking about the times he's had with male friends through his life, shared experiences and likes, keeping memories alive, etc and the way it's written, presumably intentionally, it inspires you to think about times you've had with old friends, fleeting friendships that came and went, how important they are to the core of who you are etc. It was sent to me by a friend who I've known since junior school, and I'm sure that's why he got it for me, rather than the Scott angle - he knows I was a fan, but he wasn't really familiar with them and didn't know he was the subject when reading it. I'm probably doing a shite job of conveying it tbh :lol:
You’ve just sold it

Not new music, but wasn’t really sure where to post this. Given where this thread started, here seemed as good a place as any.

Recommending a book from 2022, for peeps who haven’t read it. I’m probably late to the party on it, living out in the US. But anyway, I’m loving Boy Friends by Michael Pedersen, a Scottish writer-poet who is writing about the importance of male friendships and using his friendship with Scott Hutchison as the vehicle. Beautifully written. Bought for me by an old boy friend who had no idea it was centered on SH when he read it.
I think that would make me cry quite a lot. I will probably give it a read when I get the chance and appreciate the recommendation but there’s something I find so sad about Scott and Frightened Rabbit as I feel such a resonance with the band and especially Midnight Organ Fight. Absolutely floored when I found out he passed away.

Edit; read your update - sounds great. Been meaning to read O’Brother by John Niven as my next sort of ‘let’s talk about real stuff’ book so will get a look in after that

Last edited:
Jane Weaver's new album is great. Tickets looked to be running low for Glasshouse show when I booked last week.

Newcastle based band Ponyland release their 2nd album today called Hare Brains. Hopefully it will live up to the press release (see below). They play the Star & Shadow in a couple of weeks.

Ponyland are a psychedelic punk, force of nature, a multi-limbed monster of scuzzed-out riffs and thunderous ritualistic grooves. Combining the grinding onslaught of Lightning Bolt, the ecstatic spectacle of Sun Ra and the irreverent spirit of System of a Down, this unhinged, masked menagerie have to be seen to be believed. Intoxicating rhythms meet hook driven waves of riffage, with ecstatic energy that will make your legs rattle uncontrollably.

Following on from their debut album Mora Mora, this new full length LP HARE BRAINS sees Ponyland embrace a new edge to their visionary sound world. Keeping the trademark, pulverising double drum kit engine and fuzz-drenched psychedelic soundscapes, the band have supercharged their songwriting with focused riff-based hooks and driving punk-edged vigour. Prominent female vocals channel Bikini Kill and Warpaint, whilst gritty, melted electronics flow around a classic thrashing guitar sound. Hare Brains is a celebration of dysfunction, a call to arms against human apathy, a psychotropic odyssey of eroded power structures, post-apocalyptic landscapes and mutant pigeons.

The anarchic pagan ecology of Ponyland’s vision grabs the listener and catapults them into a visceral NOW, full of defiant life, movement, and human connection.

Jane Weaver's new album is great. Tickets looked to be running low for Glasshouse show when I booked last week.

Newcastle based band Ponyland release their 2nd album today called Hare Brains. Hopefully it will live up to the press release (see below). They play the Star & Shadow in a couple of weeks.

Ponyland are a psychedelic punk, force of nature, a multi-limbed monster of scuzzed-out riffs and thunderous ritualistic grooves. Combining the grinding onslaught of Lightning Bolt, the ecstatic spectacle of Sun Ra and the irreverent spirit of System of a Down, this unhinged, masked menagerie have to be seen to be believed. Intoxicating rhythms meet hook driven waves of riffage, with ecstatic energy that will make your legs rattle uncontrollably.

Following on from their debut album Mora Mora, this new full length LP HARE BRAINS sees Ponyland embrace a new edge to their visionary sound world. Keeping the trademark, pulverising double drum kit engine and fuzz-drenched psychedelic soundscapes, the band have supercharged their songwriting with focused riff-based hooks and driving punk-edged vigour. Prominent female vocals channel Bikini Kill and Warpaint, whilst gritty, melted electronics flow around a classic thrashing guitar sound. Hare Brains is a celebration of dysfunction, a call to arms against human apathy, a psychotropic odyssey of eroded power structures, post-apocalyptic landscapes and mutant pigeons.

The anarchic pagan ecology of Ponyland’s vision grabs the listener and catapults them into a visceral NOW, full of defiant life, movement, and human connection.
Brilliant write up. You just know it's gonna be dull after that!

Bought a ticket for English Teacher at the Boiler Shop after only one listen through to the album, first time I've done that since Raye start of last year.

Very good.

Bought a ticket for English Teacher at the Boiler Shop after only one listen through to the album, first time I've done that since Raye start of last year.

Very good.
It's a very varied album. Lots of favourite songs. I'm going to have to be careful not to play it too much. I'm even hearing a bit of The Smiths in I'm Not Crying, You're Crying. Anyone who enjoys Black Country, New Road will probably enjoy it.
English Teacher album is currently the number 1 album of 2024 on Metacritic.

Last edited:
My weekly review of new stuff. Only seems a few days ago that I did one of these....

Ponyland: really enjoyable. They've clearly been listening to King Gizzard.
Still House Plants: The Guardian gave this a 5/5 rave review on Friday. It's interesting, not the easiest listen, art rock noise but kind of slowed down.
Blue Bendy: really good, reminds me a lot of Black Country New Road. Well worth a listen,
Shabaka: flutes to the fore. This is a lot more relaxed and almost hippyish than his sax based work. Good.
Pye Corner Audio: one I missed last week. Doomy, filmic electronica which does the job when doing a grocery shop in M&S.
Metz: relentless, visceral hard core rock with an ear for a tune, as usual.
Leyla McCalla: some superb stuff here, influenced by African rhythms and tropicalia rather than southern folk. Extremely good.
Bodega: scratchy indie rock, maybe a little more muscular than usual. Slightly patchy but generally good.
James Elkington & Nathan Salzburg: gentle folk guitar instrumentals. Lovely really.
Aaron Lee Tasjan: he's moved away from his country roots to something slightly odd, almost mainstream and, at times, bonkers. Very good.
Sunburned Hand of the Man: psych-folk hippiness. All good fun, gentle instrumentals, lovely harmonies, long spoken word tracks.
The Reds, Pinks and Purples: as @chunkyshanhawk53 said, he has basically made the same album again. It's a good album, to be fair.
English Teacher: a very, very good debut. Shoegaze and art rock to the fore and nothing like Echobelly. Dry Cleaning are obvious kindred spirits. Albert Road is a killer tune.

Album of the week: I'm going joint again, Blue Bendy and English Teacher.

My weekly review of new stuff. Only seems a few days ago that I did one of these....

Still House Plants: The Guardian gave this a 5/5 rave review on Friday. It's interesting, not the easiest listen, art rock noise but kind of slowed down.
Blue Bendy: really good, reminds me a lot of Black Country New Road. Well worth a listen,
Shabaka: flutes to the fore. This is a lot more relaxed and almost hippyish than his sax based work. Good.
Pye Corner Audio: one I missed last week. Doomy, filmic electronica which does the job when doing a grocery shop in M&S.
Leyla McCalla: some superb stuff here, influenced by African rhythms and tropicalia rather than southern folk. Extremely good.
Bodega: scratchy indie rock, maybe a little more muscular than usual. Slightly patchy but generally good.
James Elkington & Nathan Salzburg: gentle folk guitar instrumentals. Lovely really.
Aaron Lee Tasjan: he's moved away from his country roots to something slightly odd, almost mainstream and, at times, bonkers. Very good.
Sunburned Hand of the Man: psych-folk hippiness. All good fun, gentle instrumentals, lovely harmonies, long spoken word tracks.
The Reds, Pinks and Purples: as @chunkyshanhawk53 said, he has basically made the same album again. It's a good album, to be fair.
English Teacher: a very, very good debut. Shoegaze and art rock to the fore and nothing like Echobelly. Dry Cleaning are obvious kindred spirits. Albert Road is a killer tune.

On first listen, that Still House Plants record is awful.

got 5 stars in sunday times and great review

Back