New Music Releases Thread

I really enjoyed it! Given it another listen or two as well and I think it gets better on a few more listens.
I absolutely agree with this.Listened to it again on nightshift last night, and ended up playing it again,and again.Its fantastic.I don't even know why I like it,it's not my normal type of listening.But I do.I also started thinking to myself ,if this was brought out in the mid 80's,would it be great, or seen as a bog standard album? I don't care though ,it sounds tremendous in the now.

Ah, the review of the week is a marathon this time... stuff that's new and stuff that's new to me as usual.

Drahla: I quite like the new sax to the fore sound. Reminds me a little of early Psychedelic Furs but female fronted. of course.
Mount Kimbie: I remember them as being quite electronica based but this is quite guitar focussed. Enjoying it anyway.
Fabiana Palladino: very 80s sounding.Good songs. Whilst it's her debut, she's obviously a seasoned session musician already.
Zombi: another good album. Basically, they play the same furrow as Justice, making guitar based music for the dance crowd.
Sinkane: as usual, he takes Sudanese music as a base and combines it with other forms. There's hip-hop, soul and reggae in the mix here. Very good.
serpentwithfeet: I like this. Hip hop and R'n'B in there along with electronica.
Dana Gavanski: her third album. Reminds me a lot of Cate Le Bon, partly because of the vocal style. Good songs and a sense of fun.
Vampire Weekend: may be their best since their debut, may just be their best so far. Either way, it's a cracking album and has to come into best of lists as the year goes on.
Scott H Biram: a very good album. One for the Americana fans on the thread. Some slower tunes and some that are quite raucous.
Khruangbin: the usual mix of laidback funk, Thai pop and whatever else. So chiloled out, it's lying on the floor but very good.
Mint Mile: the second album under this name by indie rock lifer Tim Midyett is excellent. Reminds me a little of Pavement/Malkmus at times and Teenage Fanclub at others.
Shovel Dance Collective: very traditonal yet very forward thinking English folk. Tracks drift in and out of focus. Weird and wonderful.
Thee Sinseers: charming, laidback and very summery retro soul. Worth seeking out on a warm August evening.
House Of All: the obvious Fall stylings are even more obvious now. Good fun.
Real Farmer: the new sound of Groningen. Part of the Dutch wave that includes Personal Trainer and The Klittens, to name just two.There's a US punk/hardcore vibe here but also a sense of melody.
Still Corners: polished female fronted indie pop/rock. Reminds me at time of The Go Betweens. Pretty good.
Anoushka Shankar: Indian classical/jazz interlude part 1. Sitar in the mix here, obviously. The second of a trio of related EPs. This is nice.
Ganavya: Indian classical/jazz interlude part 2. This is maybe a little more jazz and a little more classical than Anouska's EP and also a lot longer. Very good though. Cosmic vibes and that.
Pernice Brothers: one of my favourite bands. Joe Pernice has a cracking, warm voice and the songs are always lovely. "The Purple Rain" which is a David Berman tribute is going to up there for me when it comes to song of the year. Up there having a fist fight with Vampire Weekend for AotW.
Bob Vylan: their sound has diversified a bit from their previous very punk rock vibe. A bit more chilled here with slightly more soul and reggae influences. Still rocks hard at times though. Very good but not as good as their live show.
Jane Weaver: excellent as always. Maybe a bit more of a hazy summer vibe to this. Slightly less synth-glammy than her last album.
Phosphorescent: cosmic Americana. Another really, really good album from a band who've now got quite the discography.
Cedric Burnside: mountain blues, it ssems, which I think is blues with a little more of a rural influence. Very food anyway.
The Libertines: actually, pretty enjoyable. Nothing earth shattering and nothing new really but it seems like a fun album.
Grace Cummings: her second album. You get the feeling that she's someone who could become very well known. There's Americana (Australiana?), blues and even gospel here. Excellent.
The Black Keys: it's a bit of a week for returns to form. This is a cracker of a singalong anthem -pop record. Beck's involved on several songs and the better Gallagher contributes guitar on 3 or 4 tracks.
Broken Chanter: Scottish post-punk/pop from the one time main man in Kid Canaveral. A really good album. Reminds me a little of We Were Promised Jetpacks.
Old 97s: another very good album from the band who aren't quite Drive By Truckers. Excellent Americana as ever. Not sure how many albums it is now.
Robert Poss: really liking this. There's a little bit of shoegaze and a little bit of noise rock experimentation here. He's the former leader of Band of Susans, who were part of the US no wave scene in the late 80s and early to mid 90s.

Album of the week: There's a lot there and a lot that's very good but I'm going for a tie between Vampire Weekend and Pernice Brothers. In many other weeks, Real Farmer, The Black Keys, Jane Weaver, Broken Chanter, Grace Cummings, Fabiana Palladini, Dana Gavanski, Mint Mile, Mount Kimbie and Phosphorescent would all have been in the mix.

@Arkle Thanks for another great weekly round up. Completely agree with your Dana Gavanski comment. Anyone who enjoyed Cate Le Bon's Pompeii album will probably find much of LATE SLAP sounds related. I don't know if H Hawkline is having some input with art direction for Dana or if she is just a fan, but even her videos have similarities. Dana Gavanski is playing Newcastle in June and ticket prices are very reasonable. Must get one.

I've been listening to a bit Pavement this week and will be checking out Mint Mile who I've never heard of.

Will probably give Maggie Rogers a listen. Not sure I know much about the others in that list. will be listening out for reviews from you lot to see what I should be checking out.

There are new albums this week from Blue Oyster Cult, Bodega, Buzzard Buzzard Buzzard, English Teacher, girl in red, Maggie Rogers, Mark Knopfler, Metz, Nia Archives, Shabaka, TUSKS, Martin Simpson, Leyla McCalla, James Elkington & Nathan Salzburg, Aaron Lee Tasjan, Sunburned Hand of the Man, The Reds, Pinks & Purples and James.
Bodega, English Teacher and girl in red (for some pop goodness)

Assume that’s Shabaka from the Comet is Coming?

Also, I wonder if Reds, Pinks and Purples can release exactly the same album again

Not new music, but wasn’t really sure where to post this. Given where this thread started, here seemed as good a place as any.

Recommending a book from 2022, for peeps who haven’t read it. I’m probably late to the party on it, living out in the US. But anyway, I’m loving Boy Friends by Michael Pedersen, a Scottish writer-poet who is writing about the importance of male friendships and using his friendship with Scott Hutchison as the vehicle. Beautifully written. Bought for me by an old boy friend who had no idea it was centered on SH when he read it.

Not new music, but wasn’t really sure where to post this. Given where this thread started, here seemed as good a place as any.

Recommending a book from 2022, for peeps who haven’t read it. I’m probably late to the party on it, living out in the US. But anyway, I’m loving Boy Friends by Michael Pedersen, a Scottish writer-poet who is writing about the importance of male friendships and using his friendship with Scott Hutchison as the vehicle. Beautifully written. Bought for me by an old boy friend who had no idea it was centered on SH when he read it.
I’m not certain I could read it. I didn’t know the bloke, but they were a band I saw right from the very start (a dozen people) and watched as they grew

Back