New Music Releases Thread

Some singles

CUD - Sorry I Let You Down

Diary - Cutting Garden EP - shoegazey post-punk jangle from Brooklyn - first track is a decent MBV kind of thing, the others are ok (there's also a Vacant Lots remix of the first track)
Sleeping Souls (Frank Turner's band) have their first single out - a bit one-speed and bland
Kayleigh Goldsworthy has a live EP on Bandcamp - less glossy than the album, but I'm still probably the only one that likes it
Screaming Females had a new EP, Clover, out the past week or so but appears to be purposely unavailable to stream anywhere :mad:

Biffy have a live album out - recording of the Celebration of Endings COVID lockdown show - not sure, this may only be physical release
This Wedding Present single was out last month - they announced a Utah Saints remix this week

Last edited:

It's been a ripper of a week for new releases, you little beauties and big galahs... my quick reviews:

Star Feminine Band: album number 2 and they continue where their first left off. This is joyously happy and really quite lovely.
Say She She: modern soul pop, I guess. Enjoyable. A couple of tracks would be hits in another universe.
Steve Queralt & Michael Smith: the quiet man from Ride does atmospheric music while Smith recites short stories in his Teesside accent. This is absolutely cracking!
Skullcrusher: a bit less fragile and a tad more electronic than the earlier EPs. Kind of ambient indie folk. Very good, she's going to be a star!
King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard: two tracks, both 15 minutes long and both very good. The Gizz are at their best when focussed.
Logan Farmer: I like this a lot. Reminds me of Keaton Henson.
Alela Diane: her first in a while. The voice is still excellent, the songs are very good. Indie-folk type stuff.
Kutiman: ambient-world drifty chill out stuff from the Israeli polymath. Pretty good.
Plains: not sure I was expecting such a straight laced Americana album from them but it's good.
Brian Eno: one of Eno's reasonably rare vocal albums. His voice is an acquired taste but the songs are exceptionally good.
The Big Moon: every time they release an album, I keep thinking this'll be the one I don't like. Yet again, I'm wrong with that. Strong songs, indie rock/pop done well.
The Unthanks: their first proper album in ages. As always, it's exceptional, beautiful and moving.
LiRaz: the better of the two Israeli albyms this week. Middle Eastern vibes over danceable rock. Very good!
Bill Callahan: the work of a genius who gets better with age. This is absolutely splendid from start to finish. Album of the year material.
Julianna Riolino: a mix of psychedelia and Americana, this is quietly impressive. Not sure her voice is the strongest but that gripe aside, really good.
Wild Pink: a relatively quick follow up to last year's A Billion Little Lights, this is really good. Kind of has a Mercury Rev vibe. Terrific, Bob.
Black Lips: sleazy garage rock with proper pop hooks. They're veterans at this stuff and it's, as usual, very good.
Angeline Morrison: British folk as done from an Afro-Caribbean perspective. One of several that would be a proper contender in a non-Callahan week.
Starcrawler: I missed this coming out 2 or 3 weeks back. Their third album of big rock tunes with a west coast vibe. They're in similar territory to The Bobby Lees and, TBH, I prefer the latter.
Telefis: quite possibly the final dispatch from the late, lamented Cathal Coughlan (along with Jackknife Lee). Their pairing seemed to have given Coughlan fresh verve. Really good.
Lou Turner: I like this a hell of a lot. Country/folk vibes from a gifted new singer-songwriter.
David Westlake: veterans amongst you might remember C86 affiliated indie band The Servants, whose line up included Luke Haines before he went on to The Auteurs and beyond. Anyway, David Westlake was their main man. This is his first album in an age and it's rather excellent. He's come out swinging with an album about what the idiots have done to England and comes on like a leftie Morrissey. Rather good.

Album of the week: a lot of competition but Bill Callahan romps it like the musical Frankel that he truly is.

It's been a ripper of a week for new releases, you little beauties and big galahs... my quick reviews:

Star Feminine Band: album number 2 and they continue where their first left off. This is joyously happy and really quite lovely.
Say She She: modern soul pop, I guess. Enjoyable. A couple of tracks would be hits in another universe.
Steve Queralt & Michael Smith: the quiet man from Ride does atmospheric music while Smith recites short stories in his Teesside accent. This is absolutely cracking!
Skullcrusher: a bit less fragile and a tad more electronic than the earlier EPs. Kind of ambient indie folk. Very good, she's going to be a star!
King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard: two tracks, both 15 minutes long and both very good. The Gizz are at their best when focussed.
Alela Diane: her first in a while. The voice is still excellent, the songs are very good. Indie-folk type stuff.
Kutiman: ambient-world drifty chill out stuff from the Israeli polymath. Pretty good.
Plains: not sure I was expecting such a straight laced Americana album from them but it's good.
Brian Eno: one of Eno's reasonably rare vocal albums. His voice is an acquired taste but the songs are exceptionally good.
The Big Moon: every time they release an album, I keep thinking this'll be the one I don't like. Yet again, I'm wrong with that. Strong songs, indie rock/pop done well.
The Unthanks: their first proper album in ages. As always, it's exceptional, beautiful and moving.
LiRaz: the better of the two Israeli albyms this week. Middle Eastern vibes over danceable rock. Very good!
Bill Callahan: the work of a genius who gets better with age. This is absolutely splendid from start to finish. Album of the year material.
Julianna Riolino: a mix of psychedelia and Americana, this is quietly impressive. Not sure her voice is the strongest but that gripe aside, really good.
Wild Pink: a relatively quick follow up to last year's A Billion Little Lights, this is really good. Kind of has a Mercury Rev vibe. Terrific, Bob.
Black Lips: sleazy garage rock with proper pop hooks. They're veterans at this stuff and it's, as usual, very good.
Angeline Morrison: British folk as done from an Afro-Caribbean perspective. One of several that would be a proper contender in a non-Callahan week.
Starcrawler: I missed this coming out 2 or 3 weeks back. Their third album of big rock tunes with a west coast vibe. They're in similar territory to The Bobby Lees and, TBH, I prefer the latter.
Telefis: quite possibly the final dispatch from the late, lamented Cathal Coughlan (along with Jackknife Lee). Their pairing seemed to have given Coughlan fresh verve. Really good.
Lou Turner: I like this a hell of a lot. Country/folk vibes from a gifted new singer-songwriter.
David Westlake: veterans amongst you might remember C86 affiliated indie band The Servants, whose line up included Luke Haines before he went on to The Auteurs and beyond. Anyway, David Westlake was their main man. This is his first album in an age and it's rather excellent. He's come out swinging with an album about what the idiots have done to England and comes on like a leftie Morrissey. Rather good.

Album of the week: a lot of competition but Bill Callahan romps it like the musical Frankel that he truly is.
Hmm interesting

Callahan I listened to 3 times and it just washed over me. Will try again

Press Club is alright. And Say Sue Me is a rather fun covers album

The Big Moon's new one is good. I also like October Drift's new one.

There are new albums this week from Alice Boman, Archers of Loaf, Architects, Arctic Monkeys, Carly Rae Jepsen, Dawn Richard & Spencer Zahn, Dry Cleaning, Frankie Cosmos, Goat, Loyle Carner, Meghan Trainor, Nick Hakim, Pinkshift, Simple Minds, Sloan, Taylor Swift, Tegan & Sara, Eins und Zwei und Drei and Vier Volume 2, Julian Cope, Young Gun Silver Fox, Wizrd,The Soft Pink Truth, Hugh Cornwell, Fiona Brice, Lucrecia Dalt and Souad Massi.

There are new albums this week from Alice Boman, Archers of Loaf, Architects, Arctic Monkeys, Carly Rae Jepsen, Dawn Richard & Spencer Zahn, Dry Cleaning, Frankie Cosmos, Goat, Loyle Carner, Meghan Trainor, Nick Hakim, Pinkshift, Simple Minds, Sloan, Taylor Swift, Tegan & Sara, Eins und Zwei und Drei and Vier Volume 2, Julian Cope, Young Gun Silver Fox, Wizrd,The Soft Pink Truth, Hugh Cornwell, Fiona Brice, Lucrecia Dalt and Souad Massi.
What's the new Julian Cope album? He only released England Expectorates in August.
Looking forward to hearing Dry Cleaning. The singles have been good.

Glitches is best 9 minutes I've heard for ages. I do love LYR project but I've listened to Glitches on repeat for last hour :lol: :lol:

Really thought we were getting a Fiona Bruce record when I read this first time around.

Ribbon Stage have an album out - 80s sounding indie, somewhere between Primitives, Vivian Girls, and Veronica Falls. Had a good EP out a year or two ago. Will be giving that a blast first.

Hagop Tchaparian - curious about this one. Former member of Symposium, became obsessed with electronica and tour managed Hot Chip and Four Tet

Probably give Archers, Arctics, and Frankie Cosmos a listen - and Copey if I can find it

My new listening from the last few days:

Maya Shenfeld: electronica, pretty good, she's a composer so sort of neo-classical.
Rosalie Cunningham: her second album. It's sort of proggy, sort of glam rock. Very good!
Park Jiha: Korean classical folk/post-rock as usual. Enjoyable.
Gang of Youths: quite long, might need a listen or two but I think it's a good album.
Melt Yourself Down: business as usual. Jazz/world/dance fusion with sort of yelped vocals. Excellent!
The Volunteered: kind of old school indie type album from a solo projecy turned full band. Well worth a listen or three as it's very good.
Basia Bulat: a sort of best of as it's her songs from previous releases redone with string arrangement. Intriguing.
Caroline: I'm enjoying this. Kind of woozy and hippyish. Some songs are familiar.
Keeley Forsyth: stark, sort of folkish. Good album.
Duquette Johnston: a veteran American indie rocker now solo. This is enjoyable.
Johnny Marr: it's Marr so the guitar is great, the vocals are soso and the songs are very good.
Roedelius and Tim Story: ambient, neo-classical, piano and electronics. Great!
Sasami: American indie rocker, some tracks shouty, some more mellow. Pretty good.
Tears for Fears: their first in a good while. Not a patch on The Hurting. I prefer the Curt Smith tracks to the Roland Orzabal ones.
Holodrum: post-punk-funk with disco beats and hooks galore. This is terrific!
Carson McHone: female Americana singer-songwriter. Great voice, good album.
Superchunk: indie rock supervets with several guests. Pleasant.
Binker & Moses: Binker Golding and Moses Boyd do free jazz. Both quality performers. This is very good.
Bird in the Belly: folk with occasional poppy elements. Enjoyable. They're tipped by folkie types.
Half Man Half Biscuit: I'm biased as I love them. This won't convert the haters at all but is brilliant as always.
Marc O: French sort of glam rockish, Bowieish pop. This was released last year but seems to be being pushed now thanks to a physical release. It's pretty much tremendous.

Album of the week: there are some very good ones. I love HMHB and the Marc O album is exceptional but I'm giving it to Holodrum.
Catching up on an awful lot from this year, and this Holodrum album is excellent. Especially this time on a Friday after a couple of beers...

Back