New Music Releases Thread

Listened this morning to the new album from CURSES. Id never heard of them until reading about them on Picadilly Records and this is brilliant.
Proper New wave / Post Punk / Goth / Electronics. Only had on the once but cant wait to listen to again.

Listened this morning to the new album from CURSES. Id never heard of them until reading about them on Picadilly Records and this is brilliant.
Proper New wave / Post Punk / Goth / Electronics. Only had on the once but cant wait to listen to again.
It sounds like The Cure, which was the last thing I was expecting with a name like that 🤔. It sounds alright actually.

It sounds like The Cure, which was the last thing I was expecting with a name like that 🤔. It sounds alright actually.

Yeah definitely a Cure sound to it. I’m really enjoying it.
What's the album called? Can't find anything artist related by Curses on Amazon

NvM think I've found it, Incarnadine?

Yeah that’s it. Apologies I should have put it in my post.

There are new albums this week from Cave In, Charlie Hickey, Cola (the band formed from the ashes of Ought), Craig Finn, Delta Spirit, Everything Everything, Flume,Hanson, Harry Styles, Lykke Li, Porridge Radio, SOAK, Weird Nightmare, Will Joseph Cook, Zola Jesus, xPropaganda, Daniel Villareal, Grant Lee-Phillips, David Grubbs & Jan St Werner, The Wave Pictures, Jimi Tenor, Mavis Staples, Jo Schornikow, Quinquis, Polypores, Flock and Deanna Petcoff.
The Loyal Seas debut, Strange Mornings in the Garden, came out on Friday (another Tanya Donelly project - I think I posted a single on here a year or so ago). Doesn't seem to be on Spotify yet but is on Bandcamp

Just found out Banditos released a new album on Friday, and I liked their other 2 records.

Nothing groundbreaking but nice soul/blues influenced Americana. Probably the best of their 3 albums so far.

A bit late with my weekly review because of football and a fair few albums listened to. Anyway:

Julie Doiron & Dany Placard: Francophone Canadian indie veterans. This is very good, quite lo-fi at times. Reminds me a little of Herman Dune sometimes and Low sometimes.
Gus Engelhorn: another Canadian, pleasantly weird. Vaguely in the realms of very early Flaming Lips, I guess.
Porridge Radio: very good indeed, a cohesive, well made album. They keep getting better.
Lykke Li: very good, intimate modern pop. She's consistently 8/10 with her albums.
Everything Everything: they kind of remind me of (British) Sea Power with synths, although in saying that, this is a lot better than Sea Power's latest. Very good!
Mavis Staples & Levon Helm: recorded live in Levon's barn in 2011 (I think), this is a very good live album.
Cola: for me the week's big disappointment, particularly as it's had excellent reviews. Middling post-punk, lacking the urgency that made the early Ought records so vital.
Jo Schornikow: US based Australian singer-songwriter. I like her a lot based on this album. Reminds me a little of Nadia Reid.
Delta Spirit: the sixth album from them. Americana tinged indie rock. It's pretty good but they're still to live up to their second album, History From Below, for me.
Mary Lattimore & Paul Sukeena: she plays harp, he plays guitar and other stuff. Put together, they've made a quality album of quasi-ambient weirdness. Recommended.
Emmanuelle Parennin: she's a French folk veteran and something of a cult concern thanks to her 1977 album, Maison Rose. What you get here is sort of wyrd folk in French. You end up warming to it a lot. Very good!
Deanna Petcoff: debut album from a US based indie singer-songwriter. Intense indie rock. Good.
Craig Finn: I can often warm to an album based on the opening track and the opener here is terrific. More generally, it's Craig Finn on top solo form, less upbeat than The Hold Steady generally but lyrically excellent.
Quinquis: Yann Tiersen's wife goes solo. Atmospheric electronica topped with vocals in Breton (Breton is getting big, the French Eurovision entry was sung in it). It's a very good album.
The Wave Pictures: it's the EPs they've released recently compiled basically. Wave Pictures in excelsis. Witty, guitar driven indie rock from one of the country's more under-rated bands.
SOAK: third album from the Northern Irish singer-songwriter. This is a very good, affecting set of songs, a little reminiscent of the Deanna Petcoff album tbh.
Weird Nightmare:
solo outing from one of Metz. It's a little less intense and forboding than they are. Reminds me a little of Guided By Voices.
Papercuts:
seventh, I think, album from them (although they are bascally Jason Quever). Lovely indiepop basically.
Grant-Lee Phillips:
more of the same from him, rousing but one paced Americana. I still preferred early Grant Lee Buffalo.
xPropaganda:
Susanne Freytag and Claudia Brücken from Propaganda back together with a subtle name change. This is very good. Not dissimilar to A Secret Wish but lacking a gem like Duel.
Sam Gendel & Antonia Cytrynowicz:
he's a jazz musician, she's his 12 year old niece. Together, they've made a weirdly engaging and fun album, which I'm really liking. At times reminds me of the very early Let's Eat Grandma singles.

Album of the Week: there's a good bit of competition but I think Sam & Antonia just pip Porridge Radio, The Wave Pictures, Julie & Dany and Jo Schornikow. Another 7 or 8 also very good.

Seems a poor week really, we've had a good run though so maybe it's understandable.

Listening to Liam Gallagher's new album at the moment. Not impressed at all really. Alfie Templeton's was very forgettable as well.

Wide Awake festival today in London. Any MLFs in attendance? On my hitlist today I've got:

Sorry
Katy J Pearson
Yard Act
Kevin Morby (half set)
Fat White Family (other half)
Alex Cameron
Floating Points

Primal Scream headlining is a proper odd choice. Got zero interest in that, and don't know anyone my age who gives a toss about them either like. Would have rather seen them give someone up and coming a go like they did with Shame last year.

A bit of a quiet week as expected. As far as my weekend listening has been concerned:

Wilco: back to their country/Americana origins. A very warm double album. Almost, at times, seems like a Jeff Tweedy solo thing. Very good.
Church of the Cosmic Skull: this came out a week or two back (unnoticed by me). More of the same from them. Enjoyable!
Brian Jackson: he's generally know for being Gil Scott Heron's go to collaborator for many years. This solo album is very good. The tunes sound like they've come from a GSH album TBH.
Catrin Finch & Seckou Keita: another album of their harp/kora collaborations. This may be the best so far. Very good live as well. Top stuff!
Mono: their first venture into soundtracks. Short (for Mono particularly), gentle post-rock tracks. A good starting point for anyone new to Mono.
Shabaka: as in Hutchings. His first properly solo album. It's a lot more down tempo than his other bands, enjoyable though.
Rosie Carney: Aussie singer-songwriter. Some low key but quite poppy tunes. Good, really.
Steve Earle & the Dukes: Steve Earle completes his triology of albums of songs by his major influences (following Townes van Zandt and Guy Clark) with Jerry Jeff Walker (best known for writing Mr Bojangles). That's on here but probably doesn't represent the rest of the album, which is pretty upbeat and a little folky.
John Doe: the former singer with X continues his explorations in Americana. Excellent song writing, lyrically astute and humorouse. Recommended!
Just Mustard: shoegazey goth rock. They've had some cracking reviews for album number 2 but this leaves me a little cold.
Maria BC: a bit doom rock. Starts nicely but is a little one paced and samey over the course of an album.
Stars: their first in 5 years. Nice to have them back. Boy/girl vocals slightly synthy indiepop. They're kind of the Canadian Belle & Sebastian but not.

Album of the week: Catrin & Seckou by a decent margin.

A bit of a quiet week as expected. As far as my weekend listening has been concerned:

Wilco: back to their country/Americana origins. A very warm double album. Almost, at times, seems like a Jeff Tweedy solo thing. Very good.
Church of the Cosmic Skull: this came out a week or two back (unnoticed by me). More of the same from them. Enjoyable!
Brian Jackson: he's generally know for being Gil Scott Heron's go to collaborator for many years. This solo album is very good. The tunes sound like they've come from a GSH album TBH.
Catrin Finch & Seckou Keita: another album of their harp/kora collaborations. This may be the best so far. Very good live as well. Top stuff!
Mono: their first venture into soundtracks. Short (for Mono particularly), gentle post-rock tracks. A good starting point for anyone new to Mono.
Shabaka: as in Hutchings. His first properly solo album. It's a lot more down tempo than his other bands, enjoyable though.
Rosie Carney: Aussie singer-songwriter. Some low key but quite poppy tunes. Good, really.
Steve Earle & the Dukes: Steve Earle completes his triology of albums of songs by his major influences (following Townes van Zandt and Guy Clark) with Jerry Jeff Walker (best known for writing Mr Bojangles). That's on here but probably doesn't represent the rest of the album, which is pretty upbeat and a little folky.
John Doe: the former singer with X continues his explorations in Americana. Excellent song writing, lyrically astute and humorouse. Recommended!
Just Mustard: shoegazey goth rock. They've had some cracking reviews for album number 2 but this leaves me a little cold.
Maria BC: a bit doom rock. Starts nicely but is a little one paced and samey over the course of an album.
Stars: their first in 5 years. Nice to have them back. Boy/girl vocals slightly synthy indiepop. They're kind of the Canadian Belle & Sebastian but not.

Album of the week: Catrin & Seckou by a decent margin.

The power of PR right there, mate :lol:

Back