New Music Releases Thread

My new listening for the week:

Alan Vega: the second posthumous release in quick succession. This is maybe a bit more guitar based than the last one. Very good!
Son Volt: high quality as usual from Jay Farrar and his cohorts. Americana at close to it's best.
Torres: Decent but not great. There's a sort of power-pop(ish) thing going no here.
Gemma Cullingford: as has been mentioned, one half of Sink Ya Teeth. More dance floor aimed than their stuff. Excellent 'Ode To Billie Joe' cover.
LUMP: as with Torres, decent but not great. Actually, sounds like a Tunng album with Laura Marling singing.
Sister John: Glaswegian indie types. Quite sophisticated and very good.
John Francis Flynn: Irish folk that experiments with drones. A touch Lankumesque. Excellent!
Bleachers: a really enjoyable Springsteen indebted pop album from the man who has produced Taylor Swift, Lorde, Lana Del Rey and others.
Alex Rex: great, vaguely folky, vaguely proggy, vaguely psych, vaguely pop from the man who has drummed for many.
Big Big Train: big, epic well produced prog. Reminds me a bit of Steven Wilson.
Durand Jones & The Indications: more of their soulful pop. Very good again.
Sam Mehran: the second posthumous album listed comes from the ex-member of Testicicles. It's a little bit post-rockish, an instrumental meld of guitars and synths.
Prince: one f his "lost" archive albums. Some of this is really good (reminiscent of his golden period) but much is meandering R&B/jazz gunk type stuff.
Sonny & the Sunsets: 32 minutes of joy, countryish indiepop. Reminds me of a cross between Jeffrey Lewis and early to mid Silver Jews. Sonny's best!

AotW: I will say Sonny & the Sunsets, although John Francis Flynn, Alex Rex, Gemma Cullingford, Alan Vega, Son Volt and Bleachers all are highly recommended. Sister John as well TBH. Mildly disappointed by both Torres and LUMP, not because they're bad albums but because they're not exceptional.

My new listening for the week:

Alan Vega: the second posthumous release in quick succession. This is maybe a bit more guitar based than the last one. Very good!
Son Volt: high quality as usual from Jay Farrar and his cohorts. Americana at close to it's best.
Torres: Decent but not great. There's a sort of power-pop(ish) thing going no here.
Gemma Cullingford: as has been mentioned, one half of Sink Ya Teeth. More dance floor aimed than their stuff. Excellent 'Ode To Billie Joe' cover.
LUMP: as with Torres, decent but not great. Actually, sounds like a Tunng album with Laura Marling singing.
Sister John: Glaswegian indie types. Quite sophisticated and very good.
John Francis Flynn: Irish folk that experiments with drones. A touch Lankumesque. Excellent!
Bleachers: a really enjoyable Springsteen indebted pop album from the man who has produced Taylor Swift, Lorde, Lana Del Rey and others.
Alex Rex: great, vaguely folky, vaguely proggy, vaguely psych, vaguely pop from the man who has drummed for many.
Big Big Train: big, epic well produced prog. Reminds me a bit of Steven Wilson.
Durand Jones & The Indications: more of their soulful pop. Very good again.
Sam Mehran: the second posthumous album listed comes from the ex-member of Testicicles. It's a little bit post-rockish, an instrumental meld of guitars and synths.
Prince: one f his "lost" archive albums. Some of this is really good (reminiscent of his golden period) but much is meandering R&B/jazz gunk type stuff.
Sonny & the Sunsets: 32 minutes of joy, countryish indiepop. Reminds me of a cross between Jeffrey Lewis and early to mid Silver Jews. Sonny's best!

AotW: I will say Sonny & the Sunsets, although John Francis Flynn, Alex Rex, Gemma Cullingford, Alan Vega, Son Volt and Bleachers all are highly recommended. Sister John as well TBH. Mildly disappointed by both Torres and LUMP, not because they're bad albums but because they're not exceptional.
Enjoyed Bleachers, good shout

This week I’ve listened to -

Sweet Trip - A tiny house, in secret speeches, polar equals
Vijay Iyer, Linda May Han Oh, Tyshawn Sorey - Uneasy

I preened the Alan vega was just a physical release of the one a short while back. Never realised it was another one so on that immediately 👍

Looks like it’s a week of singles and EPs then.

Graham Coxon album out 27th, this single appeared on my Spotify last week, very addictive, love it…

The LUMP album from last week is getting better with each listen, I like it. Though the best track, phantom limb, could do without that last 2 minutes of drivel.

There are new albums this week from Abstract Mindstate, Barbra Streisand, Chris Young, Liars, Lingua Ignote, Nas, Mr Jukes & Barney, Jim Noir and Willy Mason. Something of a quiet one.
Laura Stevenson.
I think Stina of Honeyblood has something new out but it might just be a single
Laura Stevenson.
I think Stina of Honeyblood has something new out but it might just be a single
And also new Grace Petrie single

Last edited:
Like this a lot. Will check her out. Enjoyed the Wet Leg one as well, very entertaining when you block out how terrible the lyrics are! The goth one in the forest, not for me, and I like goth stuff.

Saw Wet Leg last night. Introduced on stage by Lamacq gushingly.

Strap yoursels in, they’re going to be everywhere over the next year or so.

I liked that Chaise Longue song at first but now if I hear it again I think I'll cry.

Yep, dangerously overplayed that one.

They did about 35-40 mins last night. A good 3-4 other strong singles.

I was cynically ready to hate them but they were pretty fun tbf.

Back