New Music Releases Thread

Jehnny/ Bobby-
it’s basically a Primal Scream record with her singing on it. That’s not a negative. It’s more blues and ballads than post punk. I think it’s really good.

snapped ankles-
Their usual mix of punk, motorik, electronics going on. Decent.

jex Opolis-
Very very good house, electronica.

My somewhat shorter than usual review of my week's listening:

Fuzzy Lights: my local psych-folk troupe release their first in 8 years. It's very good, adding aspects of dream pop and post-rock into their usual mix.
The Go! Team: it's their usual thing... A danceable indie pop romp. I'm not sure the pop hooks are quite as strong as they've sometimes been but sitll fun.
Blue Orchids: literate, enjoyable poppish post-punk from Martin Bramah and his mates. Well worth a listen!
The Hoiy Family: trippy psychedelia. Most of the tracks sound like the slightly odd instrumental intro tracks you sometimes get on psych rock albums. Has its merits but not a big favourite for me.
Bobby Gillespie & Jehnny Beth: I think @mad cyril pretty much nailed it above. It's a Primal Scream album with Jehnny Beth duetting, certainly in terms of personnel. It's very good, compared to some of the albums Primal Scream have released since XTRMNTR. Closer to Give Out But Don't Give Up in vibe than anything else but with better songs.
Desperate Journalist: a perfectly serviceable indie-rock guitar album. Vaguely post-punk but with the edges shaved off.

Album of the week: Bobby & Jehnny, I think. Both Fuzzy Lights and Blue Orchids are very good though and I'd probably be more impressed by The Go! Team were they new to my ears.

Listened to Inhaler, Goon Sax, Museum of Love, Rehasher (a side project by Roger Lima of LTJ) and the Wallflowers.

Not been particularly impressed by any of them on first listen - Wallflowers probably the pick of the bunch but it basically sounds like Tom Petty-light; Rehasher is pop-punk/skate-punk by numbers; couldn’t get into Goon Sax at all, don’t like the vocals or the music; Museum of Love was like someone stripped all the exciting stuff away from LCDS; Inhaler had some very good moments but felt like there was a fair bit of filler on there.

I’m not sure if it’s just the whole pandemic getting to me but I can’t say there have really been any standout albums this year, even Gizzard have disappointed me. If I was asked for my top 5 albums of the year so far I think I’d struggle - Allison Russell, Gruff Rhys and Elise Davis are the only ones that I would say are very good or excellent everything else has been just ok or a bit “meh”.

Listened to Inhaler, Goon Sax, Museum of Love, Rehasher (a side project by Roger Lima of LTJ) and the Wallflowers.

Not been particularly impressed by any of them on first listen - Wallflowers probably the pick of the bunch but it basically sounds like Tom Petty-light; Rehasher is pop-punk/skate-punk by numbers; couldn’t get into Goon Sax at all, don’t like the vocals or the music; Museum of Love was like someone stripped all the exciting stuff away from LCDS; Inhaler had some very good moments but felt like there was a fair bit of filler on there.

I’m not sure if it’s just the whole pandemic getting to me but I can’t say there have really been any standout albums this year, even Gizzard have disappointed me. If I was asked for my top 5 albums of the year so far I think I’d struggle - Allison Russell, Gruff Rhys and Elise Davis are the only ones that I would say are very good or excellent everything else has been just ok or a bit “meh”.
Mogwai, Julien Baker, Japanese Breakfast, Squid and SPELLLING for me

and then black midi, Black Country New Road, Mabe Fratti, the Reds Pinks and Purples, Sun June, Weather Station, Bachelor

quite a good year imo

For Those I Love, Wasuremono, Mabe Fratti, Besnard Lakes and Nick Cave/Warren Ellis for me.

Mogwai, black midi, Tindersticks, Arooj Aftab in behind. Probably others I've missed.

I also thought it had been a pretty shit year, but now I've sat down and thought about it I've realised I was wrong. :lol:

For Those I Love
The Antlers
deathcrash

My top three, though technically that deathcrash record is a complication of earlier work.

Have really enjoyed Lucy Dacus, Bachelor, Squid, Elijah Wolf, GSY!BE, St Vincent, Du Blonde, Another Michael, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Black Country New Road, Goat Girl, Bicep and Shame.

Those are the ones still in my Spotify saved list anyway.

Back