New Music Releases Thread

Something of a bumper week for new albums. There are releases tomorrow from Dojo Cat, Gaspard Auge (half of Justice solo), Hiatus Kaiyote, Hiss Golden Messenger, ISLAND, John Grant, Johnny Dynamite & the Bloodsuckers, Lightman Jarvis Ecstatic Band, Lightning Bug, Lucy Dacus, Matthew Dear, Modest Mouse, SPELLLING, Squirrel Flower, T. Hardy Morris, The Mountain Goats, Tyler the Creator, Katherine Priddy, Cedric Burnside, Stars and Rabbit, Dal:um, The Grid & Robert Fripp, Rose City Band, Lonelady, Birds of Maya, Vincent Neil Emerson, Faye Webster and Carlos Nino & Friends.
Wow, that is a bumper week - I’ll add The Murlocs (it’s a Gizzard side-project masterminded by Ambrose Kenny-Smith, I think this will be their 5th album) and Finny McConnell (solo covers/acoustic album by The Mahones frontman).

Those 2 plus about 6 from your list for me this week, I’ll be busy.

Something of a bumper week for new albums. There are releases tomorrow from Dojo Cat, Gaspard Auge (half of Justice solo), Hiatus Kaiyote, Hiss Golden Messenger, ISLAND, John Grant, Johnny Dynamite & the Bloodsuckers, Lightman Jarvis Ecstatic Band, Lightning Bug, Lucy Dacus, Matthew Dear, Modest Mouse, SPELLLING, Squirrel Flower, T. Hardy Morris, The Mountain Goats, Tyler the Creator, Katherine Priddy, Cedric Burnside, Stars and Rabbit, Dal:um, The Grid & Robert Fripp, Rose City Band, Lonelady, Birds of Maya, Vincent Neil Emerson, Faye Webster and Carlos Nino & Friends.
Can’t play John Grant there man, he’s left footed

Stuff I’ve been listening to ( not all from last week )

cheval sombre- Made with Sonic boom. Really really good electronic folky, soft vocal, pastoral, string record.

Andrew Hung- agree with @Arkle who articulates things much better than me. Opening track is 10/10

Trees Speak - Their usual Motorik instrumental sound. If you like that you’ll enjoy this.

downstairs j- Electronica. Bits of aphelion twin / Unkle / boards of Canada sounding.

Andy bell- acoustic versions of his recent stuff. Great cover of my all time favourite tune perfume by the Paris Angels. Andy can do no wrong at the minute

Plenty on there to go at, Rose city band and Lucy Dacus first up for me.

A couple of recent favourites..

Phosphorescent EP.(BBC Sessions). One of the best things I’ve heard this year. They’re another of those bands I should have been into years ago.

Also really liking the Turner Cody album, thanks @Arkle.

It’s a very good week.

Hiss Golden Messenger, John Grant, Lucy Dacus, Matthew Dear, Squirrel Flower, Mountain Goats, Modest Mouse, Rose City Band and Tyler the Creator for me Harry

Think there’s a new Sault album due tomorrow, only streaming for 99 days.

2nd Grade, who made one of my favorite albums last year, have a "new" album out today. It's a reissue of an album from 2018 that was a cassette, I think, plus a bunch of reworkings and demos. They're part of the Philly DIY scene. A bit Teenage Fanclub or 90s American jangly alt stuff. Bandcamp says you might like them if you like Kiwi Jr, Cloud Nothings, Jeff Rosenstock...I like them a lot.

Not normally something to pique my interest but I am a bit curious about the upcoming Metallica-curated anniversary tribute to the Black Album. A huge range of artists doing Metallica covers - Phoebe Bridgers, Jason Isbell, Biffy, Mac Demarco, St Vincent, Weezer, Elton John, Miley Cyrus, Cage The Elephant, Sam Fender, Diet Cig, Dave Gahan, Imelda May, IDLES, to mention a few.

2nd Grade, who made one of my favorite albums last year, have a "new" album out today. It's a reissue of an album from 2018 that was a cassette, I think, plus a bunch of reworkings and demos. They're part of the Philly DIY scene. A bit Teenage Fanclub or 90s American jangly alt stuff. Bandcamp says you might like them if you like Kiwi Jr, Cloud Nothings, Jeff Rosenstock...I like them a lot.

Not normally something to pique my interest but I am a bit curious about the upcoming Metallica-curated anniversary tribute to the Black Album. A huge range of artists doing Metallica covers - Phoebe Bridgers, Jason Isbell, Biffy, Mac Demarco, St Vincent, Weezer, Elton John, Miley Cyrus, Cage The Elephant, Sam Fender, Diet Cig, Dave Gahan, Imelda May, IDLES, to mention a few.

53 tracks on the Metallica tribute. I'm looking forward to hearing what Kamasi Washington's take on Metallica is and also how The Hu Mongolianise them.

Looking at the artists via Amazon, it looks like may be Miley Cyrus featuring Elton John and various other people so we don't get Elton turning Enter Sandman into a piano ballad, sadly.

53 tracks on the Metallica tribute. I'm looking forward to hearing what Kamasi Washington's take on Metallica is and also how The Hu Mongolianise them.

Looking at the artists via Amazon, it looks like may be Miley Cyrus featuring Elton John and various other people so we don't get Elton turning Enter Sandman into a piano ballad, sadly.
I think it's going to be a very interesting release - 7 LPs of covers :eek:

Last edited:

Experimental Guatemalan stuff. Probably just for you :lol:

Back