New Music Releases Thread

Based on numbers of plays (the stuff i've gone back to)... Neil Cowley (Hall Of Mirrors), Maximo Park & Goat Girl seem to have peaked my interest this year. Grandbrothers was a late starter though...

Based on numbers of plays (the stuff i've gone back to)... Neil Cowley (Hall Of Mirrors), Maximo Park & Goat Girl seem to have peaked my interest this year. Grandbrothers was a late starter though...

Grandbrothers is top drawer,

As have been Self Hypnosis, Bicep, Andy Bell / Pye Corner Audio, Cheval Sombre and fully agree on Maximo Park

A slow week means I've listened to Wasuremono's back catalogue - some great single but they've taken great steps forward with their current album. Beyond that I've been listening to:

Museum Of Love: I like this a lot. It's not LCD Soundsystem but what is? Stately song-based electronica.
Kevin Richard Martin: the man also known as The Bug. He's moved away from the more dancehall influenced sound of his alter ego to something a bit sinister and filmic.
Dean Blunt: laid back, genre defying and very short for an album (23 mins). I really like this.
The Goon Sax: they've gone a bit more synthy than their previous two albums, which isn't a bad thing. Still occupies the mid ground between C86 and post-punk. Still very enjoyable!
Drug Store Romeos: synthy, female fronted, quite poppy, quite shoegazey. The second half of the album is particularly good.
Sparks: not a full Sparks album, this is the soundtrack to their musical Annette. It's very good, although a lot of the singing is from Adam Driver.

Album of the Week: probably Museum of Love.

A slow week means I've listened to Wasuremono's back catalogue - some great single but they've taken great steps forward with their current album. Beyond that I've been listening to:

Museum Of Love: I like this a lot. It's not LCD Soundsystem but what is? Stately song-based electronica.
Kevin Richard Martin: the man also known as The Bug. He's moved away from the more dancehall influenced sound of his alter ego to something a bit sinister and filmic.
Dean Blunt: laid back, genre defying and very short for an album (23 mins). I really like this.
The Goon Sax: they've gone a bit more synthy than their previous two albums, which isn't a bad thing. Still occupies the mid ground between C86 and post-punk. Still very enjoyable!
Drug Store Romeos: synthy, female fronted, quite poppy, quite shoegazey. The second half of the album is particularly good.
Sparks: not a full Sparks album, this is the soundtrack to their musical Annette. It's very good, although a lot of the singing is from Adam Driver.

Album of the Week: probably Museum of Love.
Alex Mayr - Park, for me

Birds Fly is a better song than Love Is A Wonderful Colour (marginally).

TBH, I look at a list of their singles and think hit, hit, hit, hit, hit...
I'm having a slow day today, so....this weekend my brother-in-law gifted me the US vinyl of the first album. I learned 2 things interesting only to me :rolleyes:: Birds Fly (Whisper to a Scream) actually wasn't a hit over here...Whisper to a Scream (Birds Fly) was. Also, they were just called Icicle Works, not The Icicle Works, for that album here

A bit later than normal, this week's new releases. We have albums from Barenaked Ladies, Clairo, Ida May, KDAP (Kevin Drew solo), Moon king, The Zolas, Tones And I, Wavves, WILLOW, Karen Black (a posthumous comp compiled by Cass McCombs) and Steve Dawson.
And John Mayer - he’s even living up to his reputation and called the album “Sob Rock”

Very excited about that and BNL

Last edited:
And John Mayer - he’s even living up to his reputation and called the album “Sob Rock”

Very excited about that and BNL

I should have included John Mayer, he was on the metacritic list.

Another quiet week for me, will listen to KDAP, Wavves and Karen Black. Half tempted by Willow (Smith) and her move into rock. She's got 4/5 from Kerrang! With the album seemingly being for fans of Japandroids.

Maybe BNL and Wavves. I'm catching up on a couple of odds and sods, too, so that'll help pad it out:

PACKS, Take the Cake, from a few weeks ago seems promising from the first few tracks (kind of low-fi-ish girl-fronted indie from Canada)

Bradford, a new album, Bright Hours, that I somehow missed from Feb. They made one of my favourite albums, Shouting Quietly, 31 years ago and then nothing else - it got released in the middle of Rough Trade's collapse, which I think hurt them, or maybe everyone else thought they were pants. They had a post-c86, pre-Britpop indie jangle pop vibe - their moment of high-ish profile was late 80s when Morrissey covered them (Skin Storm) and when In Liverpool appeared on a popular NME/CND video compilation that also featured the first Sundays single. It's an album/band that I go back to frequently, even now, and I bought the anniversary vinyl edition not long ago. I'm sure I'll be disappointed with the new one, but what can you do.

New BOB live album arrived yesterday - Berlin Independence Days. Class no doubt! :D

Maybe BNL and Wavves. I'm catching up on a couple of odds and sods, too, so that'll help pad it out:

PACKS, Take the Cake, from a few weeks ago seems promising from the first few tracks (kind of low-fi-ish girl-fronted indie from Canada)

Bradford, a new album, Bright Hours, that I somehow missed from Feb. They made one of my favourite albums, Shouting Quietly, 31 years ago and then nothing else - it got released in the middle of Rough Trade's collapse, which I think hurt them, or maybe everyone else thought they were pants. They had a post-c86, pre-Britpop indie jangle pop vibe - their moment of high-ish profile was late 80s when Morrissey covered them (Skin Storm) and when In Liverpool appeared on a popular NME/CND video compilation that also featured the first Sundays single. It's an album/band that I go back to frequently, even now, and I bought the anniversary vinyl edition not long ago. I'm sure I'll be disappointed with the new one, but what can you do.

New BOB live album arrived yesterday - Berlin Independence Days. Class no doubt! :D
bloody hell I've got that video in loft somewhere, its a canny tune, is it same video mekons are on doing ghosts of american astronauts ?

Back