New Music Releases Thread

Loads over the last decade. quite varied as well. Some folk(ish) stuff, some ambient electronica and some covers of old TV themes.
Yeah you can’t accuse him of repeating the same formula over & over... quick listen to summer sun appears to be 60s psychedelic - that tv themes album is good to listen to now & again, prefer some of his more prog output.

Yeah you can’t accuse him of repeating the same formula over & over... quick listen to summer sun appears to be 60s psychedelic - that tv themes album is good to listen to now & again, prefer some of his more prog output.

Yeah, his folk stuff is more prog-folk/psychedelia than out and out folk. The TV themes album is both amusing and nostalgic, as much as anything.

My summary of the weekend's listening (although three of the albums were listened to on catch up and two of them were amongst @chunkylover53's albums of the week last week. Quite a big week for singer songwriters, as it goes:

Beachy Head: they're kind of a supergroup, as they include members of both Slowdive and The Flaming Lips. Very much of the dream pop genre given that much of it consists of shimmering shards of sepulchral sheep shearers. Sounds like you imagine Ride sound like, only they don't. I like it.
Carter Tanton: singer songwriter. He's been around for a good while, making good almost, but not quite, great albums. This is another. Quite low key and always interesting.
Will Stratton: I like this a lot. Quite early Sufjanesque at times and quietly angry. Very good!
Squid: they're good. Punk/funk/jazz/krautrock hybrid with Byrnesque vocals.
Dorothea Paas: singer songwriter number 3. She has a very pure voice and is a little bit Joanie Mitchell. Highly promising
Indigo Sparke: this came out about 3 months back. Another singer songwriter. Mixes up slightly rockier songs (think Jesus and Marychain in their quieter moments) with some that are more introspective. Pretty good.
Tony Allen: final (posthumous) album from the legendary percussionist. Lots of guests, bit of an Afrobeat-hiphop mash up. Enjoyable.
New Order: or Noo Oider, as Max from Hart to Hart would call them. Live album. Very good. You could pick holes and wonder why there's only one song from Technique on there but that's not the point. The soundtrack of a Blu-Ray/DVD they have out.
Daniel Bachman: ambient guitar pieces alongside drones and found sound. Therapeutic.
Natalie Bergman: an uplifting exploration of grief from one half of Wild Belle. It's very gospel tinged at times and extremely, extremely good.
Tony Joe White: posthumous release, put together from songs TJW was recording when he died. Produced by his son and Dan Auerbach. His voice sounds exceptional and the songs are great. Top stuff!
Iceage: intense stuff as always. A bit Bad Seeds, a bit more danceable. All in all very good.
Rosali: singer songwriter number 834. She's more along the lines of Angel Olsen or Sharon Van Etten than the rest. High quality indie rock basically.
Iron & WIne: unreleased archival material. Very good. Not as lo-fi as I thought it might be but not full band material either.
Veik: French three piece. Analogue synths, a little post-punk, a little krautrock. This starts exceptionally but, for me, fades a little as it goes on.
Sophia Kennedy: well, this is interesting in a good way. A weird mix of showtune style songs with synths and odd instrumentation. Kind of deadpan vocals. Really very interesting and very good.

Album of the week: there's a lot that's good this week but it comes down to Natalie Bergman and Sophia Kennedy. Probably just about edged by Natalie Bergman.
Well that's my weekend bolloxed...............

There are new albums this week from Cake Pop, Damien Jurado, Ethan Gold, Fatima Al Qadiri, J. Cole, Johnny Flynn & Robert MacFarlane, Jorja Smith, Juliana Hatfield, Myles Kennedy, Paul Weller, Sarah Neufeld, Sons of Kemet, St Vincent, The Black Keys, The Chills, Old Sea Brigade, Holly Macve, Riley Downing and Matt Berry.
Hatfield, Nuefeld, Vincent and Kemet I reckon

My summary of the weekend's listening (although three of the albums were listened to on catch up and two of them were amongst @chunkylover53's albums of the week last week. Quite a big week for singer songwriters, as it goes:

Beachy Head: they're kind of a supergroup, as they include members of both Slowdive and The Flaming Lips. Very much of the dream pop genre given that much of it consists of shimmering shards of sepulchral sheep shearers. Sounds like you imagine Ride sound like, only they don't. I like it.
Carter Tanton: singer songwriter. He's been around for a good while, making good almost, but not quite, great albums. This is another. Quite low key and always interesting.
Will Stratton: I like this a lot. Quite early Sufjanesque at times and quietly angry. Very good!
Squid: they're good. Punk/funk/jazz/krautrock hybrid with Byrnesque vocals.
Dorothea Paas: singer songwriter number 3. She has a very pure voice and is a little bit Joanie Mitchell. Highly promising
Indigo Sparke: this came out about 3 months back. Another singer songwriter. Mixes up slightly rockier songs (think Jesus and Marychain in their quieter moments) with some that are more introspective. Pretty good.
Tony Allen: final (posthumous) album from the legendary percussionist. Lots of guests, bit of an Afrobeat-hiphop mash up. Enjoyable.
New Order: or Noo Oider, as Max from Hart to Hart would call them. Live album. Very good. You could pick holes and wonder why there's only one song from Technique on there but that's not the point. The soundtrack of a Blu-Ray/DVD they have out.
Daniel Bachman: ambient guitar pieces alongside drones and found sound. Therapeutic.
Natalie Bergman: an uplifting exploration of grief from one half of Wild Belle. It's very gospel tinged at times and extremely, extremely good.
Tony Joe White: posthumous release, put together from songs TJW was recording when he died. Produced by his son and Dan Auerbach. His voice sounds exceptional and the songs are great. Top stuff!
Iceage: intense stuff as always. A bit Bad Seeds, a bit more danceable. All in all very good.
Rosali: singer songwriter number 834. She's more along the lines of Angel Olsen or Sharon Van Etten than the rest. High quality indie rock basically.
Iron & WIne: unreleased archival material. Very good. Not as lo-fi as I thought it might be but not full band material either.
Veik: French three piece. Analogue synths, a little post-punk, a little krautrock. This starts exceptionally but, for me, fades a little as it goes on.
Sophia Kennedy: well, this is interesting in a good way. A weird mix of showtune style songs with synths and odd instrumentation. Kind of deadpan vocals. Really very interesting and very good.

Album of the week: there's a lot that's good this week but it comes down to Natalie Bergman and Sophia Kennedy. Probably just about edged by Natalie Bergman.
Well that's my weekend bolloxed...............
There are new albums this week from Cake Pop, Damien Jurado, Ethan Gold, Fatima Al Qadiri, J. Cole, Johnny Flynn & Robert MacFarlane, Jorja Smith, Juliana Hatfield, Myles Kennedy, Paul Weller, Sarah Neufeld, Sons of Kemet, St Vincent, The Black Keys, The Chills, Old Sea Brigade, Holly Macve, Riley Downing and Matt Berry.
....and most of next week....

Hatfield. Maybe Flynn....Chills. And try a couple I’ve never heard of 👍
Some old blokes that I have a soft spot for. First time they've sounded like early CH in quite a while (note, I think that's a good thing;))

Last edited:
Not that anyone but me is interested, but Voodoo Glow Skulls released their first album in 9 years today. Perfect for anyone into Mexican-influenced skacore.

Don't know if it's been mentioned on the thread (and if it has, I missed it) but Sufjan released a 5 disc album on May 6th. It's one of his ambient/neo-classical things and would seem to be about his grief at the death of his birth father.

Don't know if it's been mentioned on the thread (and if it has, I missed it) but Sufjan released a 5 disc album on May 6th. It's one of his ambient/neo-classical things and would seem to be about his grief at the death of his birth father.
It was released as one disc a week in the 5 weeks leading up to it. It’s not bad, but won’t change your life

My weekend's listening:

Sufjan Stevens: electronic, neo-classical. Might be better listened to split into the indiviual disks?
Riley Downing: solo debut from The Deslondes main man. Interesting, eccentric, kind of Americana without being country. Very good!
The Chills: their late career renaissance continues. This is, as usual, excellent. "Safe and Sound" is one of the songs of the year.
Paul Weller: starts off strongly then descends into okayness. He's trying a lot of ideas, some work, some don't. Good that he still moves on rather than settling for the tried and tested, I guess.
St Vincent: quite 70s influenced but also forward thinking. It's very good. St Vincent albums are consistently very good so that's expected.
Matt Berry: one of his slightly proggy, slightly folky, slightly late 60s sounding albums. It's a good listen.
The Black Keys: maybe a bit overly long but something of a return to form after the disappointment of Let's Rock. I think I prefer Dan Auerbach's productions to his work with The Black Keys though.
Growing: two long tracks of ambient noise from veterans of this type of thing. Quite relaxing!
Holly Macve: I like this a lot. She has a really good voice. It's a pretty straightforward country rock album done very well.
Sarah Neufeld: violin led neo-classical type stuff. Gets quite uplifting at times. File under good.
Sons of Kemet: again really good, again as expected. Arguably more of a party album than they've made previously. Makes you want to dance badly.
Old Sea Brigade: I've been trying to come up with a reference point for this album. At times, I'd say early National but the opening track is a little bit Beta Band, if anything. Essentially, they're the solo project of Ben Cramer. Well worth investigating.
Johnny Flynn & Robert NcFarlane: starts off a bit more bluesy than I've heard from Flynn previously but then settles down into something akin to his other releases (Detectorists theme etc.). A thoroughly enjoyable listen!
Damien Jurado: another artist who is consistently very good. It's an album of downbeat, lyrical Americana, which is what he does. Very good.
Warish: the most rock album I've listened to this week by far. They're very grunge influenced (but the side of grunge that came from indie-rock not metal so Sub Pop bands). A rollicking musical ride.
Buffet Lunch: one left over from last week following @chunkylover53's recommendation. Eccentric, off kilter indie, which I quite like. Probably prefer the tracks sung by the female vocalist to those sung by the chap. Pretty good.

Album of the week: probably goes to The Chills but only just from Riley Downing, Sons of Kemet, St Vincent and Old Sea Brigade.

just a heads up and have seen squid get a recent mention on here but feature on this weeks ' later '

This series of Later is shaping up to be pretty good so far. Noel Gallagher chose some decent stuff in episode 1. St Vincent is the main focus this week, with, as you say Squid on along with Johnny Flynn and Laura Mvula this week.

I thought the last series was quite dull.

This series of Later is shaping up to be pretty good so far. Noel Gallagher chose some decent stuff in episode 1. St Vincent is the main focus this week, with, as you say Squid on along with Johnny Flynn and Laura Mvula this week.

I thought the last series was quite dull.
aye, not a noel gallagher fan but found his choices ( and interview ) really good.

agree re last series , sorry but tom jones as a guest doesnt do it for me, its as though nee-one else available.

re chills- had some early stuff by them , was into flying nun stuff, the bats , sneaky feelings etc, few years back, is new material by the chills of similar ilk, ie heavenly pop hit and stuff before that ?

aye, not a noel gallagher fan but found his choices ( and interview ) really good.

agree re last series , sorry but tom jones as a guest doesnt do it for me, its as though nee-one else available.

re chills- had some early stuff by them , was into flying nun stuff, the bats , sneaky feelings etc, few years back, is new material by the chills of similar ilk, ie heavenly pop hit and stuff before that ?

Yeah, I'd say it's broadly similar to their 80s/early 90s heyday. Still Martin Phillips at the wheel.

With regard to Later, Tom Jones didn't pick anything that surprised me and Lenny Henry, likewise (I know that was a Comic Relief tie in). The other music pickers were okay but there wasn't really anyone like Robert Plant or Jarvis Cocker as they had in the series before.

Love that new Iron and wine album, Tallahassee

Not listened to much of their previous stuff, been playing a few of their other albums, really like the vocals, good lyrics and simple arrangements, it’s all rather excellent!

Back