New Music Releases Thread

Adult Mom had an album, Driver, out today, which I hadn't noticed. Out on Epitaph and on the streams. Very much looking forward to it (I'm 2 tracks in and liking) - saw her a little over a year ago with Laura Stevenson and she's done a split single with LS in the past where they covered each other. She's a very similar vibe if you like the indie female singer-songwriter vibe.
When I were a lad, Epitaph only released punk records.

Gave the latest Hold Steady and Tigers Jaw records a spin yesterday.

Hold Steady is solid, but they are sounding their age a bit now. The songs are the same, but they all seem to be being played about 20% slower than they used to be, and they've lost a bit of that energy in the process.

Tigers Jaw is a good listen, but seemed a bit samey. Don't think it's on par with the last one but it might grow on me.

Right, my review of the weekend's listening:

Jane Weaver - good. A little more obviously poppy than her earlier albums. reminds me a bit of Goldfrapp at times.
Teno Afrika - enjoying this. The first I've heard of Amapiano, which is one of the sounds of the South African townships. It's a mix of deep house, jazz and lounge, seemingly. This album reminds me of Jon Hopkins.
Genesis Owusu - excellent. He's a Ghana born, Australia raised rapper. The album reminds me, to a degree, of the whole late 80s/early 90s Daisy Age movement. Throw in bits of Prince and Outkast on top of that. Impressive!
Arab Strap - spectacularly good. I'd forgotten how good they are TBH. No real change to the formula - Malcolm Middleton provides the post rockish music, Aidan Moffatt intones stories of small time dramas over the top.
Anansy Cisse - I quite like this. He's a Malian guitarist. It's female vocal fronted with some fiddle on there. Very pretty!
Emily A Sprague - I think this actually came out last year. Ambient, synthy soundscapes. Worth a listen.
Alex Bleeker - pleasant enough US indiepop. Nothing that'll change the world but well constructed.
Of Montreal - sprawling and a tad overlong. There are some excellent and fun songs here but also some stuff that could be cut. Their usual synthy, slightly camp indie dance thing.
Altin Gun - Turkish folk and 80s synthpop don't seem like obvious bed fellows but they work together here. Not sure I prefer it to their earlier psych rock stuff but it's still good.
Fruit Bats - folkish, psychish, well made indiepop. Highly enjoyable!
James Johnston/Steve Gullick - Johnston is the former (?) singer of Gallon Drunk. Gullick is a photographer and guitarist. Together, they've made a sort of stripped back, ambient folk guitar album. It's good.

Album of the week: Arab Strap.

Right, my review of the weekend's listening:

Jane Weaver - good. A little more obviously poppy than her earlier albums. reminds me a bit of Goldfrapp at times.
Teno Afrika - enjoying this. The first I've heard of Amapiano, which is one of the sounds of the South African townships. It's a mix of deep house, jazz and lounge, seemingly. This album reminds me of Jon Hopkins.
Genesis Owusu - excellent. He's a Ghana born, Australia raised rapper. The album reminds me, to a degree, of the whole late 80s/early 90s Daisy Age movement. Throw in bits of Prince and Outkast on top of that. Impressive!
Arab Strap - spectacularly good. I'd forgotten how good they are TBH. No real change to the formula - Malcolm Middleton provides the post rockish music, Aidan Moffatt intones stories of small time dramas over the top.
Anansy Cisse - I quite like this. He's a Malian guitarist. It's female vocal fronted with some fiddle on there. Very pretty!
Emily A Sprague - I think this actually came out last year. Ambient, synthy soundscapes. Worth a listen.
Alex Bleeker - pleasant enough US indiepop. Nothing that'll change the world but well constructed.
Of Montreal - sprawling and a tad overlong. There are some excellent and fun songs here but also some stuff that could be cut. Their usual synthy, slightly camp indie dance thing.
Altin Gun - Turkish folk and 80s synthpop don't seem like obvious bed fellows but they work together here. Not sure I prefer it to their earlier psych rock stuff but it's still good.
Fruit Bats - folkish, psychish, well made indiepop. Highly enjoyable!
James Johnston/Steve Gullick - Johnston is the former (?) singer of Gallon Drunk. Gullick is a photographer and guitarist. Together, they've made a sort of stripped back, ambient folk guitar album. It's good.

Album of the week: Arab Strap.
Genesis Owusu sounds like my kind of thing, had a couple of “alternative hip hop” playlists on Apple Misic last week and that sounds like it’ll go nicely with that.

Is Steve Gulick any relation to Will Gulick?

Despite all the glowing reviews, I'm finding Arab Strap a bit of a mixed bag so far. It might be the saxophone! However, I'm a massive fan so will be sticking with it.

For fans of Cate Le Bon there's a full performance of her album Reward for Gŵyl 2021 available to watch. The film is directed by Gruff Rhys (Super Furry Animals).

Need to give this Genesis Owusu record a blast like. Everyone's raving about it.

I’ve found an outstanding release from last week that might interest this thread.

Rocket to Kingston by Bobby Ramone

It’s an album of Bob Marley covers done in the style of the Ramones. It’s very good, more than just a novelty record. It doesn’t appear to be mash ups as the song titles suggest but it definitely sounds like Marley’s vocals used.

Last edited:
Right, tomorrow's new releases today. We have albums from: A.G. Cook, Brent Funkhouser, Eyehategod, Nick Jonas, Rob Zombie, The Anchoress, Valerie June, Guedra Guedra, Underground Youth, Israel Nash and Nubiyan Twist.
Israel Nash and the Rumjacks for me.

It’s the Rumjacks first album with the new lead singer so I’m rather looking forward to this. Old singer was a Grade A knobhead by all accounts

Right, tomorrow's new releases today. We have albums from: A.G. Cook, Brent Funkhouser, Eyehategod, Nick Jonas, Rob Zombie, The Anchoress, Valerie June, Guedra Guedra, Underground Youth, Israel Nash and Nubiyan Twist.
Cool Ghouls have a new record out too. I am looking forward to that. I guess you'd label them as something like 60/70s inspired psych-pop.

Back