New Music Releases Thread

Not only do we have a surprise Seifty record, we also have a surprise Ryan Adams record.

I’m still slightly conflicted about him, especially given 2 of the accusers were people I would consider reputable (i.e. not in it for fame) and people like Jason Isbell and Bonnie Whitmore have publicly distanced themselves from him. But at the same time, nothing has come from it in almost 2 years, he’s denied the allegations, and there are plenty of musicians (and others) lauded as geniuses and celebrated despite being complete arseholes who have done morally questionable things in the past.

Not only do we have a surprise Seifty record, we also have a surprise Ryan Adams record.

I’m still slightly conflicted about him, especially given 2 of the accusers were people I would consider reputable (i.e. not in it for fame) and people like Jason Isbell and Bonnie Whitmore have publicly distanced themselves from him. But at the same time, nothing has come from it in almost 2 years, he’s denied the allegations, and there are plenty of musicians (and others) lauded as geniuses and celebrated despite being complete arseholes who have done morally questionable things in the past.

same here. Been a huge fan of Adams work since his Whiskeytown days and the allegations made it a little uncomfortable. maybe the first time someone I looked up to in that way was then accused of something like this.

Anyway, just putting the album on now. He did say he had 3 albums to release so maybe we will see the other 2 in the months to come

Will not listen. I’m really uncomfortable with “guilty without trial” in general, but as far as I can tell he hasn’t even tried to give his side. There is quite a lot of smoke with this one

Relentless her like! Still haven't dug into Folklore yet...

I have only briefly listened to some bits and just can't get on board with the love for it. Need to give it a proper listen. It seemed to be the moment all the hipsters decided she was cool enough to join their gang, which puts me off a lot. (I just want another 1989!)

Last edited:
I have only briefly listened to some bits and just can't get on board with the love for it. Need to give it a proper listen. It seemed to be the moment all the hipsters decided she was cool enough to join their gang, which puts me off a lot. (I just want another 1989!)
It’s not just the hipsters - one of my mates is a “proper” (saddo) Taylor Swift fan (from her country days) and reckons it’s one of the best records she’s done.

It’s a definite leap in style though, from mainstream pop to folk-influenced indie-pop which is why it’s suddenly got cool points.

I’ve had 4 listens to the new one. It’s good, but nowhere near Folklore good. I suspect there are a few tracks that didn’t make Folklore on there and it shows. A couple of really good tracks though.
same here. Been a huge fan of Adams work since his Whiskeytown days and the allegations made it a little uncomfortable. maybe the first time someone I looked up to in that way was then accused of something like this.

Anyway, just putting the album on now. He did say he had 3 albums to release so maybe we will see the other 2 in the months to come
Just finished my first listen. Slightly disappointed because I thought Prisoner and the 2014 S/T record we’re 2 of his strongest and this is a bit flat compared to them. There’s definitely some lyrics about his situation, or at least can be construed that way.

Last edited:
Just finished my first listen. Slightly disappointed because I thought Prisoner and the 2014 S/T record we’re 2 of his strongest and this is a bit flat compared to them. There’s definitely some lyrics about his situation, or at least can be construed that way.

4 songs in. When You Cross Over is the standout so far.

I'm a few songs in and I'm enjoying it, harks back a bit to the softer elements of Heartbreaker and it seems to be him doing his gentler Neil Young schtick. I'm trying to take the Polanski line and separate the man from the art.

Does seem calculated though - how much is this him chucking out of the quieter albums he's had sat gathering dust on the shelf to make it look like a pained response to the situation. Wouldn't have looked great to whack out a bombastic eighties rock record which Big Colors sounded like it might well be.

Will not listen. I’m really uncomfortable with “guilty without trial” in general, but as far as I can tell he hasn’t even tried to give his side. There is quite a lot of smoke with this one

I think I'd pretty much agree with this. If he'd spoken in some way or even made some admissions, I'd be more comfortable with it. As it is, I don't think waiting a year and then sneaking albums out quietly cuts it.

I think I'd pretty much agree with this. If he'd spoken in some way or even made some admissions, I'd be more comfortable with it. As it is, I don't think waiting a year and then sneaking albums out quietly cuts it.
From rolling stone

In one of the more upsetting accusations against Adams, a woman named “Ava” claims that — after striking up an online dialogue with Adams when she was 14 years old — she and he engaged in phone sex and had Skype calls where Adams exposed himself; Ava provided the Times with over 3,000 text messages that Adams allegedly sent during a nine-month stretch when she was between 15 and 16 years old. On one occasion, Ava claims, Adams was already naked when they connected on a Skype video chat.

“If people knew they would say I was like R Kelley [sic] lol,” Adams allegedly wrote in one text message. The messages also revealed that Adams constantly fretted over Ava’s age.

From rolling stone

In one of the more upsetting accusations against Adams, a woman named “Ava” claims that — after striking up an online dialogue with Adams when she was 14 years old — she and he engaged in phone sex and had Skype calls where Adams exposed himself; Ava provided the Times with over 3,000 text messages that Adams allegedly sent during a nine-month stretch when she was between 15 and 16 years old. On one occasion, Ava claims, Adams was already naked when they connected on a Skype video chat.

“If people knew they would say I was like R Kelley [sic] lol,” Adams allegedly wrote in one text message. The messages also revealed that Adams constantly fretted over Ava’s age.

Yeah, that's one of the most damning pieces of evidence.

Back