New Music Releases Thread

Think my favourite album this year has been Nation of language.

September Again has to be one of my favourite songs of all time. For some reason ii can't even put my finger on, it just has a familiar and warm feeling to it. Some sort of nostalgia maybe?? I don't know but I'm mesmerised by it.

Love the 80s feel of the whole abum

Last edited:
Think my favourite album this year has been Nation of language.

September Again has to be one of my favourite songs of all time. For some reason ii can't even put my finger on, it just has a familiar and warm feeling to it. Some sort of nostalgia maybe?? I don't know but I'm mesmerised by it.

Love the 80s feel of the whole abum

likewise I really enjoyed it. Tournament for me was the standout track but it was overall a great debut. Right up my street
I've just booked to see Lias Saudi (Fat White Family singer) perform a solo set at the Windmill on 20th December. Think it'll only be my second or third gig of the year if it goes ahead. What a bleak year for live music it has been, I'm really missing it!

one Gig only for me, Black midi in Feb. If I knew it’d be my last:evil:

Last edited:
This week's new and newish releases I've listened to:

Sigur Ros - a 2004 performance of music originally performed in 2002, it's more classical than rock. Beautiful and epic!
Laura Groves - an EP/mini-album. Nice songs if a tad polite.
Nicholas Lens & Nick Cave - not too mainstream. It's described as a trance chamber opera on wikipedia. Cave wrote the libretto and appears. It's good but probably mostly for fans.
Eddie Chacon - that's Eddie of one hit wonders Charles & Eddie. This is an album of, I guess, electro-soul. It's pretty good.
Calexico - Christmas album. Mostly original songs. Sounds like Calexico doing a Christmas album.
Wedding Present (& friends) - 20 James Bond themes done by the Weddos and mates. It's good fun!
Caro - hotly tipped arthouse indie types. Remind me a bit of Wild Beasts or The Maccabees a bit. Probably worth a listen.
Khruangbin's Late Night Tales - incredibly chilled out as you tend to get in this series. Most of the tracks are in languages other than English
Yungblud - he's all over the place. Very energetic, quite poppy. Can see why the kids like him.
Burd Ellen - Scottish folkies, tranquil, hypnotic, beautiful. Vaguely Christmas based, I think, based on some of the titles.

Album of the week: I'm probably enjoying Khruangbin's Late Night Tales as much as anything.

The first Ben Kweller album in 9 years drops on New Years Day. Excited much!

Also, the new Pomplamoose album came out Friday and I’m enjoying very much. I would say they don’t get enough attention, but given they are the founders of Patreon they are probably the only musicians on the planet who haven’t found themselves short of cash during 2020.

Last edited:
New Kiwi Jr January 22nd. Whilst they’ll change no ones life, their 2020 album was one of the more fun albums of the year, think poppy Pavement

Buck Meek, guitarist from Big Thief (but sounds like he should be in a Tarantino fillum), also releases a solo album in Jan

First things first - I completely missed the Alex Maas album from last week's roundup. Would have been my album of the week. Gentle psych rock essentially.

There are new releases this week from Belle and Sebastian (a live double), Boris & Merzbow, Guided By Voices, Kacy & Clayton & Marlon WIlliams, Kid Cudi, Less Than Jake, M. Ward, Osees, The Avalanches, The Kills (a rareities comp, I believe), Stephan Meidell & Oyvind Hegg-Lunde, Louis Philippe & the Night Mail, the Rough Trade Counter Culture 20 comp (maybe Rough Trade shop only), 75 Dollar Bill Little Big Band, Landshapes, Tim Heidecker, Late Night Final and Rosie Carney.

First things first - I completely missed the Alex Maas album from last week's roundup. Would have been my album of the week. Gentle psych rock essentially.

There are new releases this week from Belle and Sebastian (a live double), Boris & Merzbow, Guided By Voices, Kacy & Clayton & Marlon WIlliams, Kid Cudi, Less Than Jake, M. Ward, Osees, The Avalanches, The Kills (a rareities comp, I believe), Stephan Meidell & Oyvind Hegg-Lunde, Louis Philippe & the Night Mail, the Rough Trade Counter Culture 20 comp (maybe Rough Trade shop only), 75 Dollar Bill Little Big Band, Landshapes, Tim Heidecker, Late Night Final and Rosie Carney.
That’s not a bad little list. Osees, Avalanches, GbV, B&M, B&S and 75DB I reckon

That’s not a bad little list. Osees, Avalanches, GbV, B&M, B&S and 75DB I reckon

Yeah, there's quite a lot there. Osees is some sort of reworking of Protean Threat (hence the anagrammic title Panther Rotate). Late Night Final is the solo project of J Willgoose from Public Service Broadcasting so looking forward to that. K & C & MW is one I'm really looking forward to also. Rosie Carney has covered The Bends, which could intrigue. The Rough Trade thing is always good (but not generally on streaming sites).

Back