New Music Releases Thread

Nowt like leaving me plenty of time for suggestions!

Well, baseball is over up there and I know the Pats are away this weekend, they play down here Monday night, so there's no sport for you (unless hockey is on - not sure). We stayed in Brookline and walked in, but that was because the venue was at the right end of town for us, right opposite Fenway Park. Brookline was a decent little neighborhood with a few bars and restaurants, a cracking little record shop (where I bought a Manchester Orchestra and a Fugazi single....and...ahem...a Tygers of Pan Tang album:lol:).To be honest we didn't do much else but drink and go to the shows each day! Went to McGreevy's which is the Dropkicks' bar - it's a pretty generic sports/Irish bar that claims to be the first ever "sports bar" (not really sure how they can make that claim) but the music was decent. That area looked ok too. Sam Adams and Harpoon are the main breweries up there but there's a lot of craft places now - we tried a few local brews - would imagine you can do tours and tastings.

Have you been before? Previous trips I've done the Freedom Trail - it's red brick line in the sidewalk that takes you around the key historical sites and that was really good (there are guidebooks that you can use that follow the same route and tell you about each stop - various burial grounds, Bunker Hill, where Paul Revere started his ride, Samuel Adams' house, old Ironsides (battleship), Faneuil Hall, etc. Trip up to Cambridge to stroll around Harvard - back in the 90s that was certainly a typical studenty area with bars, restaurants, record shops (Fort Apache studio is up there somewhere, but I was up there before smartphones and online maps so I couldn't find it, sadly - bloke I asked at a Cambridge record store was no help!).

I think they still do whale watching (and white sharks these days) out in the bay, but you'll be toward the tail end of the season for that, I imagine - I think I've done it early October before, but summer is best. There's a high speed ferry to Cape Cod (Provincetown) too.

How long are you there? I'm sure you saw The National are playing Thursday. For my tastes there's SLF, DIIV, Vivian Girls, and Against Me! in the next few days.

That's all I've got - not a lot to go on. Enjoy your trip.
Nah never been. And only there til Tuesday. Sadly I couldn’t find any gigs of interest that worked. All in the days before and after

cheers for the tips!

Bit annoyed that I’ve ignored Richard Dawson for so long, his new one is brilliant. Funny, moving, very relatable lyrics at times.

Need to give Big Thief another listen, was a bit underwhelmed - didn’t seem anywhere near as good as UFOF but it’s had cracking reviews.

Am I alone in thinking this Richard Dawson record is unlistenable shite? :lol:

Looking forward to the Floating Points record tomorrow. See Matt Maltese has a new record out in a few weeks, looking forward to that.

Looking forward to the Floating Points record tomorrow. See Matt Maltese has a new record out in a few weeks, looking forward to that.

:cool:

It’s a cracker.

Caroline Polachek and Vagabon for us both out tomorrow. Vagabon up to the A list at 6 Music next week.

You're definitely not alone. I've been banging on about him for years to anyone who'll listen and that is the typical response.
I can't believe I didn't know about him. Can't get the songs out of my head. Will definitely be thinking of 'man on' next time I'm bellowing at my son, as his team loses 10-0 again.

Let's say I wasn't hugely impressed with this album on first listen. Then again, I haven't been hugely taken by the Nick Cave one either - so far. will give them both another listen to see what I'm missing.

5 from me;

Sturgill Simpson
W. H. Lung
Rosalie Cunningham
Of Monsters and Men
Moon Duo.

Currently enjoying Kayleigh Goldsworthy, Caroline Polacheck, Sam Fender, The Sherlocks, Dave Monks, Floating Points and MUNA

Chinese or fish and chips?
Currently he gets beaten when they lose. No take away. The song has shown me the error of my ways. Maybe chippy
Let's say I wasn't hugely impressed with this album on first listen. Then again, I haven't been hugely taken by the Nick Cave one either - so far. will give them both another listen to see what I'm missing.

5 from me;
Same for me with nick cave

Last edited:
Going on holiday in just over a week and need some albums to download - what are your top 5 of the year. I know a big question but any suggestions - any genre - Americana, Hip Hop, Rock etc.
Julia Jacklin -Crushing
SOAK - Grim Town
Scott Lavene - Broke
Bailen- Thrilled to be Here
Self Esteem - Compliments Please.

Fontaine DC and WH Lung and a few others worth listening to.

If everyone else is giving their 5, I’ll go with mine.

Lana Del Rey - Norman f***ing Rockwell
King Gizzard - Infest the Rat’s Nest
Chris Shiflett - Hard Lessons
Kelsey Waldon - White Noise/White Lines
Bracket - Too Old to Die Young

Better Oblivion Community Centre just miss my list as do Grade 2 (Too early to make it into my list I think, it might be there come the end of the year) and the return to form of Michael Franti & Spearhead.

Last edited:
Twilight Sad - It Won't Be Like This All the Time
Bob Mould - Sunshine Rock
Sebadoh - Act Surprised
Charly Bliss - Young Enough
Blanck Mass - Animated Violence Mild

(honorables - Bad Religion, Frank Turner, Juliana Hatfield, Skinny Lister, Dive Dive, Wildhearts)

Couple of good comps - Industrial Accident: The Story of Wax Trax Records, Tiny Changes

My top 5:

Deerhunter - Why hasn’t everything already disappeared?
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana
Tyler, the Creator - Igor
Cate le Bon - Reward
Big Thief - UFOF

Back