New Music Releases Thread

Hadn’t realised there was a new Thom Yorke track out, it’s a bit magic

The Goon Sax record is just....well....dull

I’ll echo Spiritualised being a cracker, also a big fan of Mogwai and Idles records (albeit the latter are a bit loud live for my tastes)

Other interesting recent releases include Mothers and Terry and the debut single from International Teachers of Pop (some folks from Moonlandingz)

Aye, the Thom Yorke track is excellent. The soundtrack album it's from is out in late October. I like the Mogwai album, not sure it's their greatest ever though.

Beyond that, Honey Hahs' album is good fun, very impressed by Anna Calvi's latest, Big Red Machine I quite like without it being special. Szun Waves album is good...

I missed one or two things from the list for this week. Sleaford Mods' EP is out (thought it already was) and First Aid Kit also have an EP out (tracks that didn't make the cut for the last album). There's a 12 Ensemble album out (they're some sort of classical offshoot of The National from what I can gather), also albums by Shinichi Atobe, Cedric Burnside. On the African side of things, the first two Dur Dur Band albums are compiled together and re-released and there's a compilation called "Two Niles To Sing A Melody: The Violins and Synths Of Sudan". Elsewhere, there's a Loudon Wainwright III compilation out and Marc Ribot releases 'Songs of Resistance 1942-2018' which has guest vocals from Tom Waits on one track. There seems to be a new Crippled Black Phoenix album as well.

Saw Wooden Shjips last night in Sage 2 supported by Lucid Dream. Was a bit underwhelmed to be honest, Lucid Dream are desperately trying to be a XTRMNTR era Primal Scream just without the tunes or image.
Wooden Shjips, who I love were a bit ploddy and verged on boring at times. Twice recently I've seen Moon Duo and I enjoyed that side of Ripleys output a lot more live. Good turnout and great venue though.
Wolfgang Fleur at Cluny tonight, who despite I fear being a bit Euro ravey these days is a living legend for his Kraftwerk career so excited about that.

Listened to low this morning, and whilst I enjoyed the more structured 'songs' a lot of it is a bit to non melodic for my taste. Will listen to again. Also put Orbital on but as it was 9am I sacked it off to listen to later in the day. Will report back !!

Just bought the new Chris Crack tape, 3rd album of the year and another belter. Produced by August Fanon of Armand Hammer.

Also listened to the new Armand Hammer (really good), Pink Siifu (thoroughly recommend) and Jonah Cruzz (canny).

Slowly catching up with the last couple of weeks' new releases, along with a lot of TV. Have watched 7 episodes of Masterchef Australia in the last 36 hours, along with a load of other stuff. Anyway back to the music so far:

The Spiritualized album is fundamentally so marvellous that it should be called Marvin. "The Morning After" is the best thing I'll hear this year... and the rest runs it close. Jason Pearce's best since "Ladies and Gentlemen...". He hints at it being the last Spiritualized album in the newish Uncut.

Aside from the likely album of the year...

Iron & Wine: good EP. You kind of know what you're getting with Sam Beam, Lovely vocals, well produced, good songs intriguing lyrics but, on the down side, it all sounds like it come from any Iron & Wine album/EP in the last, well, forever.
Waxahatchee: a departure. This is mostly piano based ballads and is quite, quite lovely.
Swamp Dogg: an old soul/R&B man gradually discovering new technology. There's a lot of autotune on this but you might expect that from an album called "Love, Loss and Autotune". It's fun but kind of slight.
Idles: they're bloody excellent, aren't they? Intelligeny, witty, politicised, fun punk/hardcore. One of Britain's best bands currently.
Teleman: rant coming on. It really annoys me that a Gallagher can put out a song so pedestrian that it's called "Pelican Crossing" and have a top 10 hit, that Josh Widdicombe's ugly, less talented but more ginger cousin can piss a hit single and Adele can fart a number 1 (when it's easier to fart a number 2) that a band like Teleman who are enjoyable, lovely and fun and, most of all, construct some cracking pop tunes and get bugger all in the way of mainstream attention (6 Music aprart) when they should be on Top of the Pops and having articles in Smash Hits and Look In. Album's quite good anyway...

Really looking forward to seeing Teleman next month. Saw them live when I was stewarding a gig at the sage and they were brilliant. I didn't even know a single song at that point so I think I'm really gunna enjoy the upcoming gig. On a Friday night too and it's near some good watering holes so I should be nicely lubricated.

Listened to the Spiritualized album on the drive home from work based on the last few posts on this thread. It's really lovely isn't it? Giving it a second listen now.

Really looking forward to seeing Teleman next month. Saw them live when I was stewarding a gig at the sage and they were brilliant. I didn't even know a single song at that point so I think I'm really gunna enjoy the upcoming gig. On a Friday night too and it's near some good watering holes so I should be nicely lubricated.

Listened to the Spiritualized album on the drive home from work based on the last few posts on this thread. It's really lovely isn't it? Giving it a second listen now.

Aye, saw Teleman at Green Man. Hadn't expected a lot but they were excellent. Remind me of Hot Chip if they'd come from an indie guitar background rather than a club/dance background.

Teleman are very good entertainment live. This will be their last album as well so enjoy, there's no way they'll get another record deal doing the same thing three records in. Really enjoy them though whenever I see them and they are always good for a 7/10 record.

Aye, the Thom Yorke track is excellent. The soundtrack album it's from is out in late October. I like the Mogwai album, not sure it's their greatest ever though.

Beyond that, Honey Hahs' album is good fun, very impressed by Anna Calvi's latest, Big Red Machine I quite like without it being special. Szun Waves album is good...

I missed one or two things from the list for this week. Sleaford Mods' EP is out (thought it already was) and First Aid Kit also have an EP out (tracks that didn't make the cut for the last album). There's a 12 Ensemble album out (they're some sort of classical offshoot of The National from what I can gather), also albums by Shinichi Atobe, Cedric Burnside. On the African side of things, the first two Dur Dur Band albums are compiled together and re-released and there's a compilation called "Two Niles To Sing A Melody: The Violins and Synths Of Sudan". Elsewhere, there's a Loudon Wainwright III compilation out and Marc Ribot releases 'Songs of Resistance 1942-2018' which has guest vocals from Tom Waits on one track. There seems to be a new Crippled Black Phoenix album as well.
Two Niles.....is excellent!

Aye, saw Teleman at Green Man. Hadn't expected a lot but they were excellent. Remind me of Hot Chip if they'd come from an indie guitar background rather than a club/dance background.

Saw Teleman at think tank last year ( or maybe year before ) and quite enjoyed it, their records are also an enjoyable listen if not a bit on the wet side !! Agree with @James that I don’t know how long they can continue with making the same record again and again.

Working slowly through the week's releases. Thus far:

First Aid Kit - it's good. Better than the album these 4 songs were left off, if I'm being honest.
Sleaford Mods - drab, drab, drabbity drab, drab, drab, drab. Musically, sounds like they're dialed back for some reason.
Aphex Twin - good stuff. Not sure whether he's getting a bit more melodic or I'm getting more skronkable in my old age.
Low - I think I need to give it further listens to fully digest it. It's a Low album but not a Low album as we know them to be.
The Chills - proper Antipodean indie pop. Very good!
Crippled Black Phoenix - well, this is an album! Ruddy marvellous. Never quite sure how to define them as a band...
Two Niles - as said above, excellent! Probably an acquired taste as it does involve Sudanese music from the 70s.
Orbital - enjoyable without being super-mega-enjoyable. Some of it's very good, some not so! Includes vocals/narration from Brian Cox on one track. (Science Cox not Manhunter Cox)
Dawn Landes - lovely country/Americana. Will appeal to those who like such things...

Still got a good 5 or 6 things I plan on listening to.

Working slowly through the week's releases. Thus far:

First Aid Kit - it's good. Better than the album these 4 songs were left off, if I'm being honest.
Sleaford Mods - drab, drab, drabbity drab, drab, drab, drab. Musically, sounds like they're dialed back for some reason.
Aphex Twin - good stuff. Not sure whether he's getting a bit more melodic or I'm getting more skronkable in my old age.
Low - I think I need to give it further listens to fully digest it. It's a Low album but not a Low album as we know them to be.
The Chills - proper Antipodean indie pop. Very good!
Crippled Black Phoenix - well, this is an album! Ruddy marvellous. Never quite sure how to define them as a band...
Two Niles - as said above, excellent! Probably an acquired taste as it does involve Sudanese music from the 70s.
Orbital - enjoyable without being super-mega-enjoyable. Some of it's very good, some not so! Includes vocals/narration from Brian Cox on one track. (Science Cox not Manhunter Cox)
Dawn Landes - lovely country/Americana. Will appeal to those who like such things...

Still got a good 5 or 6 things I plan on listening to.
Listening to Crippled Black Phoenix now based on the above, a band I barely knew (last.fm reckons I have listened to a dozen songs before).

Wow.

Been listening a lot to new album from Immersion ( Wire frontman Colin Newman and his wife )
Instrumental Krautrock, post punk, rhymatic. Excellent stuff.

Deadly Avenger put out recently a 20 track, 80s synth, retro style album. Real old feel to it.

Orbital, as others point out is nothing more than alright. Some good bits and some forgettable bits. 6/10.

Amazing new album from Low. Spiritualized album clicked with me first time too. His voice makes it for me. So fragile. Interesting to read he couldn't afford to make the album the way he wanted (with an orchestra) so he made it on a laptop

Back