New football charter on club owners

Horse & Bolted spring to mind.

The article makes it clear that existing owners will be revetted under the new rules, and any failing will lose their licence to play, ie they's have to put the club into trust until they could divest.
So the clubs already owned by people/regimes that would fail the new "fit and proper" test are OK?

Not ifI'm reading it right. To me it sounds like existing owners will be reassessed.

What gives you that impression?

I’d hazard a guess that your once proud football club has now been swallowed up and used as a propaganda vehicle by a murderous state by now so you no longer have to worry about these new pesky regulations.

Just a guess though, I can’t speak for everyone
The article makes it clear that existing owners will be revetted under the new rules, and any failing will lose their licence to play, ie they's have to put the club into trust until they could divest.

Not ifI'm reading it right. To me it sounds like existing owners will be reassessed.

Oh well that’s unfortunate

They reference owners who can't demonstrate where the money came from. MBS (Our not owner) can demonstrate that. I didn't see any other specific they would fall foul of.

They reference owners who can't demonstrate where the money came from. MBS (Our not owner) can demonstrate that. I didn't see any other specific they would fall foul of.

Didn’t your owners have to prove they were independent of the Saudi government to pass the initial test? If the money isn’t coming from there then they can’t prove it’s source and therefore fail the test they passed initially?

I think you’re right it says;
‘EVERY club in the top five tiers of English football will need a licence from the new regulator.’

If it’s worth the paper it’s written on the Saudis will be kicked straight out if they aren’t then this is just another waste of time.

Let's see if they have the balls to do the right thing then

Nice idea, but theres so much money involved in football, there will be loopholes all over the place to keep the big clubs happy. The rules would likely come in in a few years, giving the shady owners time to build up holding companies and issue shares to people so they are seen not to be involved.

I think you’re right it says;
‘EVERY club in the top five tiers of English football will need a licence from the new regulator.’

If it’s worth the paper it’s written on the Saudis will be kicked straight out if they aren’t then this is just another waste of time.

Read the article again - would not bar the Saudis. It’s about proving where your money came from.

Back