New football charter on club owners

The article makes it clear that existing owners will be revetted under the new rules, and any failing will lose their licence to play, ie they's have to put the club into trust until they could divest.

Not ifI'm reading it right. To me it sounds like existing owners will be reassessed.
be a few brown envelopes flying about courtesy of the Saudi filth.

With the FA, PL and EFL so shit scared of upsetting the "big" clubs expect a couple of league 1 or 2 clubs to get hammered by the new rules and the "big" clubs pass everything with flying colours
I'd like to thing that the rules will initially be enforced on new owners, but once established they then go after current owners. But they have never had backbone with this before.

Take the Mags situation, from what I can tell, they are funded by the Saudi government, they get the profit but have someone else running it, so that is all fine. That person never meets or takes instruction from the people behind the money, which it is all about.
PIF can demonstrate that it’s money came from ‘clean’ sources so they would be deemed fit again if that were the case
You then get the minefield of what is clean. There are certain people buying into football that morally anybody doesn't really want there. It is the passion for football and the mess created where you can only really compete with a super-rich benefactor that allows this morality to be clouded.

But how can we draw the line under morality for football if we are perfectly happy to access their money when we sell them arms, buy their oil, allow them to invest in other businesses in this country and snap up masses of expensive property. There are a whole load of political and economic issues why we would not block all those, which then begs the question, why should football be a special case. It becomes one of those things where we all know it is wrong but can we really do anything about it on the scale needed?

Questionable politics in middle eastern states, which we depend upon for oil, questionable working conditions in far eastern countries which we depend on for pretty much all our technology needs, some worrying human rights and wildlife crimes going on, we turn a blind eye because sadly the country would fail to function without it.

Last edited:
Fiddling whilst Rome burns. A complete and utter non-event. The same Government gave the go-ahead for the deal to take over the Mags. All this will do is further protect the status quo, not hamper them. The Sun doesn't care if Wigan are owned by lunatics, just they they have a safe seat in the press rooms of the clubs which are owned by absolute wallopers.

We'll see who gets appointed as regulator. That will determine much. If it's someone strong-minded, it could get the government off the hook by letting them go full Pontius Pilate on it.
This will be the crucial appointment.

It does not fill me with confidence that last year's fan-led review which inspired this idea of a Regulator, co-opted Denise Barrett-Baxendale (CEO of Everton) to provide club input. :rolleyes: The financial shit-show over there is the result of ownership by Farhad Moshiri, long time associate of (and suspected front man for) sanctioned Putin ally Alisher Usmanov. See today's Private Eye.
Our ownership seems relatively 'clean' by comparison. KLD comes from what must now be considered 'old money' and Sartori's wealth seems legit. (Even his FiL Ryblovlev** isn't sanctioned as he seems to have made a pile in Russia, then cashed in and shipped out).
** News just in, It appears Sartori is Vice President of Monaco FC, and Rybolovlev is the Pres!

Last edited:
They can dress it up however they want. £ will always rule in the game and these dodgy owners as they put it will be fine. Nobody will be forced to sell up.
Of course they won’t its all bollocks. Tell the masses what they want to hear about ‘Doing the right thing’ then do the opposite anyway.
I’m just waiting for the Euro super league breakaway crap to rear it’s ugly head again.
They’ll not be satisfied until they have that and bugger everyone else.

Of course they won’t its all bollocks. Tell the masses what they want to hear about ‘Doing the right thing’ then do the opposite anyway.
I’m just waiting for the Euro super league breakaway crap to rear it’s ugly head again.
D'ya know what? I'm starting to think the Superleague can't come soon enough. The big six and a load of top foreign teams will make a piss-pot full of money, and I and most real football supporters will have as much engagement with it as American Football- you watch it on the tele occasionally but it does not move your soul. No relegation jeopardy X 20 clubs = boredom.
Seeing two real honest clubs slugging it out like we did last weekend is real football. There might not be as much money for the clubs at our level (except when they want to buy our young talent) but TV will pay to screen good quality national footy. I don't understand the concern about the 'destroying the pyramid' because it will still be exactly the same except a few clubs will have gone. Frankly it is a fantasy that a club could come from the lower reaches to take on those mega-clubs anyway. That includes us BTW, realistically. So bye-bye and don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out!

Horse & Bolted spring to mind.
Pull up the draw bridge, once the "top 6" get what they want.
The Euro super league can't come soon enough for me. Clear out all the mega money clubs and the remainder are all on a much more level playing field .....no pun intended.

Last edited:
D'ya know what? I'm starting to think the Superleague can't come soon enough. The big six and a load of top foreign teams will make a piss-pot full of money, and I and most real football supporters will have as much engagement with it as American Football- you watch it on the tele occasionally but it does not move your soul. No relegation jeopardy X 20 clubs = boredom.
Seeing two real honest clubs slugging it out like we did last weekend is real football. There might not be as much money for the clubs at our level (except when they want to buy our young talent) but TV will pay to screen good quality national footy. I don't understand the concern about the 'destroying the pyramid' because it will still be exactly the same except a few clubs will have gone. Frankly it is a fantasy that a club could come from the lower reaches to take on those mega-clubs anyway. That includes us BTW, realistically. So bye-bye and don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out!
I am not so sure about the Super League, it appears that the German and Italian leagues have reigned in spending. Italian football especially seems very competitive these days.

Essentially the Super League is the Big 6/7 here, the two in Spain and Juventus trying to keep everything in their court, I personally don't think its as likely as we think

Back