New football charter on club owners

D'ya know what? I'm starting to think the Superleague can't come soon enough. The big six and a load of top foreign teams will make a piss-pot full of money, and I and most real football supporters will have as much engagement with it as American Football- you watch it on the tele occasionally but it does not move your soul. No relegation jeopardy X 20 clubs = boredom.
Seeing two real honest clubs slugging it out like we did last weekend is real football. There might not be as much money for the clubs at our level (except when they want to buy our young talent) but TV will pay to screen good quality national footy. I don't understand the concern about the 'destroying the pyramid' because it will still be exactly the same except a few clubs will have gone. Frankly it is a fantasy that a club could come from the lower reaches to take on those mega-clubs anyway. That includes us BTW, realistically. So bye-bye and don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out!
Would love to see them all f*ck off and wallow in a stagnant competition chasing the £££'s.

Unless there are new clauses covering moral and ethical behaviour.
Which is exactly what is needed but that article does not state that.
I'd like to thing that the rules will initially be enforced on new owners, but once established they then go after current owners. But they have never had backbone with this before.

Take the Mags situation, from what I can tell, they are funded by the Saudi government, they get the profit but have someone else running it, so that is all fine. That person never meets or takes instruction from the people behind the money, which it is all about.

You then get the minefield of what is clean. There are certain people buying into football that morally anybody doesn't really want there. It is the passion for football and the mess created where you can only really compete with a super-rich benefactor that allows this morality to be clouded.

But how can we draw the line under morality for football if we are perfectly happy to access their money when we sell them arms, buy their oil, allow them to invest in other businesses in this country and snap up masses of expensive property. There are a whole load of political and economic issues why we would not block all those, which then begs the question, why should football be a special case. It becomes one of those things where we all know it is wrong but can we really do anything about it on the scale needed?

Questionable politics in middle eastern states, which we depend upon for oil, questionable working conditions in far eastern countries which we depend on for pretty much all our technology needs, some worrying human rights and wildlife crimes going on, we turn a blind eye because sadly the country would fail to function without it.

Agree but that article does not mention morality

Which is exactly what is needed but that article does not state that.

Agree but that article does not mention morality

It does, however, state that the owner and directors test will be strengthened. That does not preclude the matter of moral and ethical suitability to hold what the government seems to regard as national cultural assets (hence the clause about not letting clubs cease to exist). We will have to wait for the relevant White Paper to be published.

This is going to get messy
The clubs like the mags are wrapped up in geo politics that Johnson rail roaded through in his desperation to be liked when mbs threatened the trade deals
Of course he won’t have considered the detail or risks as he blunders through life

It does, however, state that the owner and directors test will be strengthened. That does not preclude the matter of moral and ethical suitability to hold what the government seems to regard as national cultural assets (hence the clause about not letting clubs cease to exist). We will have to wait for the relevant White Paper to be published.

We can but hope but with our government organizing trade missions to Saudi, encouraging UK businesses to invest out here, don’t hold your breath
This is going to get messy
The clubs like the mags are wrapped up in geo politics that Johnson rail roaded through in his desperation to be liked when mbs threatened the trade deals
Of course he won’t have considered the detail or risks as he blunders through life

I’m sure Johnson did understand the risks, he just doesn’t give a shit about anything other than himself

Last edited:
I'd like to thing that the rules will initially be enforced on new owners, but once established they then go after current owners. But they have never had backbone with this before.

Take the Mags situation, from what I can tell, they are funded by the Saudi government, they get the profit but have someone else running it, so that is all fine. That person never meets or takes instruction from the people behind the money, which it is all about.

Is there actually any profit?

all is not well. Bozza is under scrutiny for all sorts and this subject might come up, did I read something along the lines of
the FA knocked it back but Bozza told them to get it done. shady goings on and I see a points deduction on the horizon 😁
It was not the FA who initially refused, the fit and proper persons test is conducted by the Premier League.

The article makes it clear that existing owners will be revetted under the new rules, and any failing will lose their licence to play, ie they's have to put the club into trust until they could divest.

Not ifI'm reading it right. To me it sounds like existing owners will be reassessed.
And palms will be greased. Not a hope in hell the likes of the Saudis or Qataris will be kept at bay with the financial weight they carry. It’ll be made harder for likes of Donald to get involved.

And palms will be greased. Not a hope in hell the likes of the Saudis or Qataris will be kept at bay with the financial weight they carry. It’ll be made harder for likes of Donald to get involved.

Depends on the regulator. They'll be keen to be seen to be independent.

MBS controls the PIF-he is the Chairman and basically the head honcho whilst the Governor is Yasir Al-Rumayyan. You reckon MBS is clean and a 'fit and roper person' to run a UK football club. No doubt all the schools in Newcastle will be teaching young children about respect, diversity, how everyone is equal etc., yet in essence NUFC are owned by the Saudi state-an absolute joke. It's farcical how many Mag fans are just ignoring this fact.

Teresa May's husband, Phillip, has supplied arms to the Saudi's too. Too many politicians with their noses in a corrupt trough. Needs confronting.

I don't think the Mags ignoring it is an issue to be honest. I work with one. They are entitled to their opinions and entitled, as my colleague does, to not care about MBS and the Saudi states vile behaviour. Choosing to ignore it, or not care, in exchange for a winning team is their prerogative. Where I take issue / am amazed / lose the plot when discussing is those who simply refuse to accept that (i) MBS is our de facto owner (ii) what others do (City / PSG) doesn't dilute the issues around MBS owning an English club or, (iii) and the worst of all, realise all of the aforementioned and try to defend it.
Guardian podcast touch on it this week and, in my opinion, deal with it well. Barry Glendinning is, as always, a great listen.
Signed off by the same Boris that relied on Saudi to supply c. $1bn of refined petroleum to the UK each year. Alongside the same Boris that relied on Saudi to acquire over $1bn of UK manufactured arms too.

No sir, no conflicts there at all. Totally impartially approved. No politics involved whatsoever. Absolutely above the board and legitimate.

Just for clarity, you do know I was being sarcastic, don't you?

Last edited:
Of course they won’t its all bollocks. Tell the masses what they want to hear about ‘Doing the right thing’ then do the opposite anyway.
I’m just waiting for the Euro super league breakaway crap to rear it’s ugly head again.
They’ll not be satisfied until they have that and bugger everyone else.
I hope they do get it. It’ll be less corrupt than Fifa, Uefa, the premier league, etc

The Euro super league can't come soon enough for me. Clear out all the mega money clubs and the remainder are all on a much more level playing field .....no pun intended.

The Super League is coming. It has to come. It is the only way the other European clubs (barring PSG) will get to the point where they can compete with Premier League clubs again. How many teams, outside of England, could have challenged Chelsea to sign that Argentinian lad (yes I have forgotten his name). How many could have really challenged City for Haarland. I wonder how much of Cancelo's wages City are still paying etc

I don't think the Mags ignoring it is an issue to be honest. I work with one. They are entitled to their opinions and entitled, as my colleague does, to not care about MBS and the Saudi states vile behaviour. Choosing to ignore it, or not care, in exchange for a winning team is their prerogative. Where I take issue / am amazed / lose the plot when discussing is those who simply refuse to accept that (i) MBS is our de facto owner (ii) what others do (City / PSG) doesn't dilute the issues around MBS owning an English club or, (iii) and the worst of all, realise all of the aforementioned and try to defend it.
Guardian podcast touch on it this week and, in my opinion, deal with it well. Barry Glendinning is, as always, a great listen.

Just for clarity, you do know I was being sarcastic, don't you?

You never can be sure. Some of the wilful blindness i've seen on this topic is frightening.

The Super League is coming. It has to come. It is the only way the other European clubs (barring PSG) will get to the point where they can compete with Premier League clubs again. How many teams, outside of England, could have challenged Chelsea to sign that Argentinian lad (yes I have forgotten his name). How many could have really challenged City for Haarland. I wonder how much of Cancelo's wages City are still paying etc
Yeah was reading on BBC news this morning that other European leagues are becoming increasingly exasperated and annoyed at the amount of money being thrown around by English clubs. You could argue that the Premier League is the super league really.

UEFA will have to look at competitive balance soon, but what they can do about it I don’t know.

Yeah was reading on BBC news this morning that other European leagues are becoming increasingly exasperated and annoyed at the amount of money being thrown around by English clubs. You could argue that the Premier League is the super league really.

UEFA will have to look at competitive balance soon, but what they can do about it I don’t know.
Maybe the EFL break away from the Premier League and the European places go to the winners of the Championship?

Yeah it was fine when Real & Barcelona were hoovering up whoever they wanted. Now it is the English they will do something.

Super League will come. Those who want to join should be shown the door. I hope we don't. I suspect the owners will have other plans!
Anyone thinking this is going to change the ownership up the road is kidding themselves.
Nothing in the article suggests to me that our ownership are the targets nor that they would fail the tests mentioned.

Last edited:

Back