New football charter on club owners

Surely they can't do both? If they want their Superleague it must be at the price of forfeiting their domestic competitions, including cups, and European competitions that involve non-SL teams. They have already bought their way onto a level that few other clubs can hope to reach, so if the want to out-cock-wave each other, then bugger off and have at it! SL will be a televisual event anyway, so they could actually play the matches anywhere in the world, so they'll be getting the bunting out in Qatar, Beijing, Atlanta and a dozen more cities with a rich footballing history. But think of the money! I'm sure many real footy fans all over the world will be thinking it's time for these mega-clubs to go.
Regarding fan pushback at the clubs themselves, you can see their point. The same old faces year in - year out, and awaydays to Munich and Madrid don't come cheap! Ultimately the decisions will be made by owners, not fans, and we know how much regard they have for each other.
They wanted both when it was last around. Essentially a replacement of the champions league.

I have mixed feelings on it. Sadly I still live in this misguided realm where clubs should be run for the supporters not the TV companies and sponsors.

On the one hand I think these clubs should still be able to compete in domestic competition, the supporters are not choosing this and those who like to support their club home and away should be able to do so.

On the other hand, the clubs in the Superleague will just widen the financial gap even further making it even more unlikely that supporters of other clubs will get to witness their clubs winning trophies.

I don’t really know what the answer is. I despise the fact that these owners can come in and effectively franchise these clubs, taking them away from supporters and effectively leaving 300,000 regular supporters without a club to follow because as sure as eggs is eggs it won’t stop there. Games will be played in Saudi, China or wherever the cash cow is. On the other hand I understand those who just want them to sod off. What I would say was if it was Sunderland amongst these clubs would you still want your club taken away from you in this manner?

The Superleague will come, hopefully it will just be an expansion of the Champions League ran as a midweek league but if it isn’t I’d like to see some kind of compromise made for supporters. Maybe they could retain their place in domestic competition but have to field an entirely different playing squad whereby those players registered for the Superleague couldn’t play in the domestic league.
A fairish way could be that if any club were to join then the fans could start a phoenix club and take the clubs place in the league, have it that it has to be ran by a trust and only a certain percentage can be sold. Stadium issues would arise though but I'm sure they'd be happy to play in another city for x amount of years if they now own their club, use the money that you got from selling the minority percentage to build a stadium and training facilities. I know the fans who only care about the club because they are winning would soon disappear if they got relegated but its better than having no club. If some sort of super league appeared theyd lose their club anyway as the owners would work out its better playing 16 games around the world instead of 8 and 8 in say Manchester.

They’ve let the worst owners possible into the league and now they’re going to start testing potential owners :rolleyes:. Need to apply the test to each owner in the league to make it worth the paper it’s written on.

They’ve let the worst owners possible into the league and now they’re going to start testing potential owners :rolleyes:. Need to apply the test to each owner in the league to make it worth the paper it’s written on.
Im sure i read previously that every club will have to go through "approval" to be allowed to a license to compete, although just reading the BBC article that isnt mentioned.

If PIF are not controlled by the Saudi state then how come the head of the Saudi state was texting Boris Johnson threateningly to ensure the takeover went through

The mags fans should be ashamed of what has unfolded at their club, but as we know, they’ve always been a shameless collection of people.
Yep and the mags were still claiming at the weekend everyone is corrupt and against them when Pope was sent off :oops:

The DIT heavily redacted the memos before releasing them, claiming they could damage the UK’s international relations or interests, and were commercially sensitive.

But it is clear from the sections left unredacted that Grimstone was looking for a way for the takeover to be approved by the Premier League, and that the stalled process was seen as sensitive and potentially “embarrassing” for relations with Saudi Arabia

Last edited:
Yep and the mags were still claiming at the weekend everyone is corrupt and against them when Pope was sent off :oops:

The DIT heavily redacted the memos before releasing them, claiming they could damage the UK’s international relations or interests, and were commercially sensitive.

But it is clear from the sections left unredacted that Grimstone was looking for a way for the takeover to be approved by the Premier League, and that the stalled process was seen as sensitive and potentially “embarrassing” for relations with Saudi Arabia

It stinks doesn’t it

And the bit I don’t really understand is that this Grimstone fella was doing it under the proviso of “bringing investment into the country”

Putting some cash in Mike Ashley’s pocket and then buying a few footballers from other clubs - what good does that do for you and me??

It’s all just the usual smoke and mirrors shite from Govt and the power men. The rules have already been in place re: ownership and finances but there are too many people willing to turn a blind eye or be persuaded by the money men not to act and implement the rules. Like a lot of things we get “tough” after after the event instead of acting in the first place to stop the shit happening!

It stinks doesn’t it

And the bit I don’t really understand is that this Grimstone fella was doing it under the proviso of “bringing investment into the country”

Putting some cash in Mike Ashley’s pocket and then buying a few footballers from other clubs - what good does that do for you and me??
He initially denied sending any emails on the takeover until he was exposed.

Can’t believe what I’ve just heard from Tracey Crouch on 5live in response to a direct query about the owners and directors test and specifically Newcastle. To paraphrase ‘what about Disney and Uber, do you use them?’, ‘I’ve been there and they’re listening and improving…’ and ‘well the British Government trade with Saudi’.

Anyone thinking this white paper will change a thing can dispel of that hope on the basis of that interview alone.

Can’t believe what I’ve just heard from Tracey Crouch on 5live in response to a direct query about the owners and directors test and specifically Newcastle. To paraphrase ‘what about Disney and Uber, do you use them?’, ‘I’ve been there and they’re listening and improving…’ and ‘well the British Government trade with Saudi’.

Anyone thinking this white paper will change a thing can dispel of that hope on the basis of that interview alone.
:lol: absolute joke

It will be picking and choosing easy options to look like its revolutionary and get a few votes

She was a joke in that interview and nicky Campbell knew it and has been saved by the very sad passing of John Motson. No idea why they allowed the Newcastle fan on if that was going to be her response as it just blows everything away that she's there for the common fan.

Ive said it before but no way will they stop the big boys doing what they like and keeping all the money, they'll agree to a tiny increase from the 15% and claim it as a huge win but they'll give away so much more that they'll try and pass on the quiet.

Last edited:
Starmer asked if he'd be happy with middle Eastern money at arsenal on BBC this morning. He dodged question, nothing will change, this is a paper exercise and will change nowt, all parties happy with funds generated by prem. Morality is a thing of the past.

It’s all just the usual smoke and mirrors shite from Govt and the power men. The rules have already been in place re: ownership and finances but there are too many people willing to turn a blind eye or be persuaded by the money men not to act and implement the rules. Like a lot of things we get “tough” after after the event instead of acting in the first place to stop the shit happening!

This!

I might go out and murder someone

That’s okay though isn’t it - fred west did it all the time in the 70s 🙄

Starmer asked if he'd be happy with middle Eastern money at arsenal on BBC this morning. He dodged question, nothing will change, this is a paper exercise and will change nowt, all parties happy with funds generated by prem. Morality is a thing of the past.

It’s a complex and murky world. Of course Saudi shouldn’t be allowed to buy British football clubs. No state should be allowed to buy football clubs, especially when they’ve all got their own very transparent reasons.

However, it becomes tricky for politicians of all sides to condemn wealthy nation partners when they rely on them for strategic and economic purposes in other regions of the world. Britain’s fairly weak international political and economic standing coupled with its highly valuable sporting product makes its institutions ripe for picking

Back