new builds

Status
Not open for further replies.
All new builds seem to be tiny shitboxes made of plywood. Lasses seem to be obsessed with them over older properties too. Anything post 1950s seem to be very shoddily constructed.
Bit out of date mate ,where have you been for 20 years ?

Up until about 25 years ago, we always left an 8 x 2 sheet of t&g flooring in all the lofts when they were open and accessable, before plasterboarding. It made it easier to do later jobs up there before insulation was added. Old 8 x 4 sheets wouldn't fit in even when unboarded, and i reckon i've not seen one of those for 30 years.

All new builds seem to be tiny shitboxes made of plywood. Lasses seem to be obsessed with them over older properties too. Anything post 1950s seem to be very shoddily constructed.

Ours is late 1800s and the building itself is fine (although it needed a new roof as the old one was past it).

It’s the shite other owners have done to “improve” it that’s caused bother.

Ours is late 1800s and the building itself is fine (although it needed a new roof as the old one was past it).

It’s the shite other owners have done to “improve” it that’s caused bother.
Older houses nearly always come with some 'quirks'. Current house was built 1888 but, strangely, the previous 3 houses I owned in the North-East were all built in 1904. Must have been some sort of building frenzy in that year.

I've just been looking into buying a new build and Persimmon's list of "extras" is a joke
A doorbell is now an extra on barratts :lol:, and that includes the A1 spec houses, ie top of the range 500k houses, they don't get an intruder alarm as standard either now.

A doorbell is now an extra on barratts :lol:, and that includes the A1 spec houses, ie top of the range 500k houses, they don't get an intruder alarm as standard either now.

I remember when they told me moving a plug socket was 75 quid per socket when the walls hadn't even been built yet.

does anyone live in one and has put abit of flooring in the loft for storage, its one of these smart lofts and has none of that fibreglass shit but i assume abit of flooring to hoy suitcases n shit up their would be ok ?
Done it in my last house mate. No bother at all

Older houses nearly always come with some 'quirks'. Current house was built 1888 but, strangely, the previous 3 houses I owned in the North-East were all built in 1904. Must have been some sort of building frenzy in that year.

The previous owners of this place did a right number. Everything bodged and bodged badly. The brickwork and foundations are absolutely spot on. The air bricks installed at ground level (just one example) less so...

I also think they’ve filled the cavity with insulation but I haven’t confirmed that yet.

We had to pay extra to have grass in the garden :D

Used a local company and think they did something to support boarding...can't remember, but my new build is fully boarded with shelves and can walk all over no bother at all.

Be careful mate. Things like working lights and taps are considered “extras” for persimmon.

Bought a persimmon house 10 year ago and it’s f***ing shite.
Yeah....they were hard work and rarely give an inch. Finish was poor in places on ours, but nhbc or whatever don't cover any of that. And minimum standards are easily met.

Last edited:
I've heard a lot of horror stories about these so called new builds, my mate moved in and the patio door fell off and I've heard of loads who had to replace the kitchens. One of my other mates got locked in the bathroom for a few hours as the door handle snapped.

We had to pay extra to have grass in the garden :D

Yep same. They wanted 750 from us to stick some lawn down. We didn't bother and judging by the state of my neighbours we made the right choice

Though because they didn't put lawn down it was just full of building rubble and rubbish

How much did they charge out of interest? Some of the sites I go to the homeowners speak direct to the landscapers etc to cut out the middle man's exorbitant prices.
Ah mate, I can’t remember the amount they wanted sorry. We bought it off plan and were in a ‘good to go’ situation so we basically haggled them down on everything. The garden fence what come with the house was only a little one, it was extra for the 6ft boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back