new builds

Be careful mate. Things like working lights and taps are considered “extras” for persimmon.

Bought a persimmon house 10 year ago and it’s f***ing shite.

It really does take the piss.
I draw the technical drawings for housebuilders and know exactly what they put in and how they're constructed so a Persimmon house was never option.
Didn't think you'd have to beg for flooring to be included though

I'm not looking at new builds at all now

Yep same. They wanted 750 from us to stick some lawn down. We didn't bother and judging by the state of my neighbours we made the right choice

Though because they didn't put lawn down it was just full of building rubble and rubbish
Yeah, we extended the patio out the back and when I was digging the grass away I was finding glass bottles and all sorts.

Yeah, we extended the patio out the back and when I was digging the grass away I was finding glass bottles and all sorts.

Yeah it was a nightmare trying to clear we got a full skip worth of rubbish.

Found about 15 house bricks together under the soil clearly dumped there before soil put on top

I run a pub in a village that has a Gentoo development, I can tell you most of the folks on the site are unhappy, most of the houses were 350K + so not cheap either
Similar I'm looking at and the sales wifey appears to think it would be an absolute privilege for us to tip up that sort of money to live in one of their houses

I've boarded the loft in my Taylor wimpey house. Did it myself using loftzone stuff to keep the insulation right too.

Dont need to pay someone.

Maybe best to ask them if they do a loft boarding service, and how much it costs.
Then you'll know if you can actually do it, or if they say "you can't do that" because they want your money!

Oh, and then get a regular joiner to fit 8x4 sheets of chipboard to do the job for 10% of the price!

How would paying a joiner save you money? I've completely boarded out 2 lofts myself and fitted loft ladders too, it's not rocket science. I'm a printer by trade.

You can buy packs of 3 loft boards for £8.75. You lay them like bricks, cutting one board in half to start, lay a half at an end of the full boards, then you can lay full boards in the next row. Cut notches in the joists for any wires, tape them down and mark the top of the boards to show the wire locations so you don't drill around those areas. Drill 3mm holes and screw down the boards. Jobs a good 'un.

How would paying a joiner save you money? I've completely boarded out 2 lofts myself and fitted loft ladders too, it's not rocket science.

You can buy packs of 3 loft boards for £8.75. You lay them like bricks, cutting one board in half to start, lay half at either end. Cut notches in the joists for any wires and mark the boards to show the wire locations so you don't drill around those areas. Drill 3mm holes and screw down the boards. Jobs a good 'un.
It’s a piece of piss but a lot of folks these days struggle with changing lightbulbs etc.

I’ve a mate who rings me every time he needs something sorted like putting up a curtain pole etc because he drilled through a power cable once and blew the power to the house and had to pay a sparky a couple of hundred quid to sort it. :lol:

Used a local company and think they did something to support boarding...can't remember, but my new build is fully boarded with shelves and can walk all over no bother at all.

Yeah....they were hard work and rarely give an inch. Finish was poor in places on ours, but nhbc or whatever don't cover any of that. And minimum standards are easily met.
I had to check all the pipe work as the seals were all loose. Snagging list was submitted and never fixed. “Customer services” basically stopped answering the phone to us as we were chasing that much. Just gave up in the end. Wouldn’t buy another off the twats.

Does the insulation not sit on top of the trusses?

If it does cut it to fit it into the gaps. The insulation in the both lofts I did was a mess. The first there wasn't enough, I just bought a couple of new rolls. The second they were over and over hanging the joists, just needed tidying up a bit so the joists were clear.

Similar I'm looking at and the sales wifey appears to think it would be an absolute privilege for us to tip up that sort of money to live in one of their houses

I have a good set of friends live in one of them, and they reckon the floor board beams have been laid at different brick heights, so higher at the front than than the back or other way round by one course of bricks. Thet have a 12 page snagging list and have been in for about a year, I have no reason not to believe these folks. They paid over 400k for theirs.

Back