new builds

We’ve been told it’s because of the amount and type of insulation up in the loft. Our next door neighbours have looked into it and apparently they can put loft flooring on stilts so that it clears the insulation by the required height to stop it being an issue

We’ve been told it’s because of the amount and type of insulation up in the loft. Our next door neighbours have looked into it and apparently they can put loft flooring on stilts so that it clears the insulation by the required height to stop it being an issue
That will just make it more difficult.

Logon or register to see this image

How would paying a joiner save you money? I've completely boarded out 2 lofts myself and fitted loft ladders too, it's not rocket science. I'm a printer by trade.

You can buy packs of 3 loft boards for £8.75. You lay them like bricks, cutting one board in half to start, lay a half at an end of the full boards, then you can lay full boards in the next row. Cut notches in the joists for any wires, tape them down and mark the top of the boards to show the wire locations so you don't drill around those areas. Drill 3mm holes and screw down the boards. Jobs a good 'un.

To not void NHBC warranty boards need to be raised so there is an air gap between insulation and board.

So just laying boards over the joists and screwing them down, whilst possible isn't ideal if you have problems elsewhere in loft that would be under warranty but no longer is due to boards.

Aye, like this...

Last edited:
To not void NHBC warranty boards need to be raised so there is a gap between insulation and board.

So just laying boards over the joists and screwing them down whilst possible isn't ideal if you have problems elsewhere in loft that would be under warranty but no longer is due to boards.

Aye, like this...

Neither of the houses I laid boards in were new builds. I wouldn't have a clue re: any warranty.

I live in a 'new' build now. It's about 8 year old but it's a sort of town house with little or no loft space.

Neither of the houses I laid boards in were new builds. I wouldn't have a clue re: any warranty.

I live in a 'new' build now. It's about 8 year old but it's a sort of town house with little or no loft space.

I've been in a new build 2.5year now, boarding the loft is this years job but this whole raising the boards with stilt type devices on the joists is making me think of just getting someone in to do it properly so I don't fuck up the warranty incase out else (inevitably) goes wrong.

Been fairly lucky so far in comparison to neighbour's problems and other newbuild horror stories.

How would paying a joiner save you money? I've completely boarded out 2 lofts myself and fitted loft ladders too, it's not rocket science. I'm a printer by trade.

You can buy packs of 3 loft boards for £8.75. You lay them like bricks, cutting one board in half to start, lay a half at an end of the full boards, then you can lay full boards in the next row. Cut notches in the joists for any wires, tape them down and mark the top of the boards to show the wire locations so you don't drill around those areas. Drill 3mm holes and screw down the boards. Jobs a good 'un.

So 2 things:

1 - I was referring to cost savings of hiring a local joiner to do it, rather than paying for it as an extra from the house builders

2 - 8x4 sheets are far far cheaper than buying loft boards. No joiner uses loft boards.

I've been in a new build 2.5year now, boarding the loft is this years job but this whole raising the boards with stilt type devices on the joists is making me think of just getting someone in to do it properly so I don't fuck up the warranty incase out else (inevitably) goes wrong.

Been fairly lucky so far in comparison to neighbour's problems and other newbuild horror stories.

The independent builder of my house went bust so I've never really given the warranty any thought. We built a waist high fence around the front when strictly speaking I don't think it was allowed :)

So 2 things:

1 - I was referring to cost savings of hiring a local joiner to do it, rather than paying for it as an extra from the house builders

2 - 8x4 sheets are far far cheaper than buying loft boards. No joiner uses loft boards.

Loft boards are easier for a layman to use. They are far easier to handle and get into the loft for starters. Some loft hatches are quite small, you wouldn't get larger sheets in.

Last edited:
The independent builder of my house went bust so I've never really given the warranty any thought. We built a waist high fence around the front when strictly speaking I don't think it was allowed :)

Aye, someone in our street has built a brick wall round the front of theirs when no one is supposed to put fences/walls up in front gardens on our estate.

The amusing part is it looks decent until he parks his car on the drive in his newly built brick fortress and the gates cant close behind when the car is parked in it as drive isn't long enough :lol:

That doesn't allow for the required amount of insulation, you should raise the deck up on supports.

I'm crap at DIY and I did it myself. There are videos to watch if you want some help.

I bought my kit from loftzone. I have a bit left over if you go that route and want some

Last edited:
I've boarded the loft in my Taylor wimpey house. Did it myself using loftzone stuff to keep the insulation right too.

Dont need to pay someone.
It looked fairly straight forward from the stuff online, but came down to time for me a do it. Plus tools to do the proper ladder.

I had to check all the pipe work as the seals were all loose. Snagging list was submitted and never fixed. “Customer services” basically stopped answering the phone to us as we were chasing that much. Just gave up in the end. Wouldn’t buy another off the twats.
Yeah, the plumber came to fix a pressure issue.....and left us with a bigger leak that damaged the electrics. They have been decent with small tasks (generally sub contracted), but not entertained anything bigger. They should have to answer to someone but they don't. Nhbc seem to know them all well when I spoke with them.

Last edited:
Same here, although we’ve only been in 5 months. A leak the weekend we moved in, which has all been fixed and a ball ache trying to get them to look at a chip in our French doors is all the problems we’ve had.

Day I moved into mine site manager pointed out some grouting gaps in between kitchen floor tiles & said they’d send someone round.

They came and patched it up - however they used grey grout and original was white!
I rang up complained and the manager of repair company came out & tried to convince me it was the same colour they’d used originally. He said due the number of people coming and going during fit out that the grey turns white :lol:.

After laughing I just said look dig it out redo it to the original colour. I was out day they came & came home to see they’d just put a thin layer of grey all over the white :eek: was horrendous job. After months of trying to get them back I gave up and re did it all myself

Sister in law has just bought a new build. It is small and has a lot wrong with it.
I bought one in October. It’s large and hardly has anything wrong with it.

Most new builds are cheaply constructed , walls are paper thin
I literally can’t hear someone shouting for me from the next room in mine. The new build flat we bought in 2007 was horrendous though - it sounded like upstairs were constantly trying to jump through our ceiling.

Last edited:
Just do the lazy man's approach like me. Buy some boards that are bigger than the gap. Lay them then bang all the shite you want out the way on top.

Hardest part was getting the boards and shite up there without a proper ladder.

Zero consideration given to warranty's or loading. 4 yrs on, no problems

Last edited:
A doorbell is now an extra on barratts :lol:, and that includes the A1 spec houses, ie top of the range 500k houses, they don't get an intruder alarm as standard either now.

the prices of the extras were mental...we got an upgraded kitcken but then next level up was an extra 2k and all that was for was a f***ing wine cooler...

Loft boards are easier for a layman to use. They are far easier to handle and get into the loft for starters.ome loft hat Sches are quite small, you wouldn't get larger sheets in.

This ^^^^^

8x4 sheets would be nigh on impossible to install after the house is done. 8x2's are easier and better. And 8x4's wouldn't be flooring grade. Loft hatch would need enlarging. They are a nightmare just getting 8x4s up the stairs without scaping the walls. And theres no guarrantee that you'd have the clearance inside the loft to swing an 8x4 through.

Back