New Build Homes - Best companies?

We’re looking at starting the process of buying a new home again.

Initially we were against a new build but we’re now coming around to the idea of it.

Saw one with ‘Bellway’ in Ryhope but when we went to view they said it had sold.

I know some of these companies are notorious for poor builds so just wondering what everyone else’s experience are and which companies seem to have the best builds?

Cheers!
I bought a Miller and they have been spot on.
Others on the same estate might say differently, but, sometimes I think it’s how you treat the lads on the site.
Treat them with respect they’ll do owt for you, treat them unkindly, they, to an extent, have the power.

dont touch a bellway one, we bought one 2 years ago, its been a nightmare since we moved in and they couldn't give a flying one about it

We've got a Story Home (in Backworth) and love it. They're generally regarded as one of the "better" builders I think and the homes look good (imo) and they have a really good spec/finish.

That said, we still had a load of snags, like we have had with other new builds too.

Be downsizing soon wouldn't mind a NB bungalow but not many about
Same here, preferably near the coast but appreciate that I may be being a bit ambitious.
I think the overall quality has dropped in recent years due to the supply chain crises and inflation hiking raw material prices. To maintain margins poor quality materials and bad finishings have been tolerated.

I know a few people in the new Avant homes site in Seaburn who’ve had quite a few problems, compared to the Avant homes site in Whitburn several years back or Miller homes in Bents where I know people have been very happy.

Avant were bought by Fairbairn, ex head honcho of Persimmons. I was told by an Avant salesperson that the company reduced the standard of finishings to the property from top end of market to lower end to cut costs. The selling price did not reflect this.
I used to arrange mortgages for new build properties and the builders would increase prices by at least £10k if they thought they could get away with it. Houses selling, before building work started, for £175k, meant the next houses to be built were priced at £185k. This was several years ago and still happened until I packed in 2 years ago. People see a brand new home as a status symbol, a bit like owning a BMW!
They soon learn!!!
I used to arrange mortgages for new build properties and the builders would increase prices by at least £10k if they thought they could get away with it. Houses selling, before building work started, for £175k, meant the next houses to be built were priced at £185k. This was several years ago and still happened until I packed in 2 years ago. People see a brand new home as a status symbol, a bit like owning a BMW!
They soon learn!!!
Same here, preferably near the coast but appreciate that I may be being a bit ambitious.

Avant were bought by Fairbairn, ex head honcho of Persimmons. I was told by an Avant salesperson that the company reduced the standard of finishings to the property from top end of market to lower end to cut costs. The selling price did not reflect this.
They soon learn!!!

Last edited:
Avoid:
Taylor Wimpey (the worst)
Persimmon (mostly shite)

Linden is mixed from what I’ve seen, but definitely a step up from the above two.

Story Homes bang on from what I’ve seen. A cut above.
I've only ever bought one and i'm not overly fussy but 11 year in now in my Taylor wimpy and its been spot on
got a good deal
nice lass to deal with
ready when they said
love the layout and proportions of the house
good value for money
few snags ,mostly plumbing ,resolved quickly
Love my house

I've only ever bought one and i'm not overly fussy but 11 year in now in my Taylor wimpy and its been spot on
got a good deal
nice lass to deal with
ready when they said
love the layout and proportions of the house
good value for money
few snags ,mostly plumbing ,resolved quickly
Love my house
11 years is the key there, they’re not the same anymore. I know someone with a similar experience from around the same time in Easington. They don’t work to the same standard anymore unfortunately

Knew a lad who bought one in Houghton. (Esh built I believe) Has it up for sale after being in it for 2 years. Hated it as soon as he moved in. That's what you get for buying off plan I guess.

The snagging was appalling. Builders had the wrong tiles installed, pipes had to be refitted due to them clattering against the wall.

The walls are paper thin and you can hear everything. Dropped my phone on the floor, he ran into the room thinking a wardrobe had fell over :lol:

Knew a lad who bought one in Houghton. (Esh built I believe) Has it up for sale after being in it for 2 years. Hated it as soon as he moved in. That's what you get for buying off plan I guess.

The snagging was appalling. Builders had the wrong tiles installed, pipes had to be refitted due to them clattering against the wall.

The walls are paper thin and you can hear everything. Dropped my phone on the floor, he ran into the room thinking a wardrobe had fell over :lol:
Snags I can put up with as long as they’re fixed.

The paper thin walls is probably the main reason that would put me off which I believe all the companies do now anyway

Snags I can put up with as long as they’re fixed.

The paper thin walls is probably the main reason that would put me off which I believe all the companies do now anyway

One advantage to just having stud walls is if you ever need to rewire the house or just move a few sockets & that, it's a lot easier to do. They're also more energy efficient I believe

Sound does travel up and down my house but I hear nothing ever from next door and they have two young kids so I'm good with that .

Do not touch these with a very very very long barge pole. Regretted it since the day I moved in. Hopefully someone takes pity on me when it goes up for sale in the NY. If, and it’s a massive IF, I buy anothe NB it will be a builder who employs the trademen. Pertwatman use Subies for every part of the build and don’t give a shit about quality, damage etc. they’ve litteraly re built every house around mine 3/4 times….My mate is a site manager for Belway and says they are ok.
😂😂😂
Every building company in the NE seems to be involved up my way on the 3)4 estates going up around Burdon.
Story, Bellway, Taylor Wimpey etc. Thank feck they've sorted the road now, the feckin tailbacks were ridiculous. 7/8 months been inconvenienced.
Duchy and millers anarl
I bought a Miller and they have been spot on.
Others on the same estate might say differently, but, sometimes I think it’s how you treat the lads on the site.
Treat them with respect they’ll do owt for you, treat them unkindly, they, to an extent, have the power.
They still not sorted that bay window out though

Last edited:

Back