New Build Homes - Best companies?

Surely it’s the location that’s critical rather than the builder ?
I ve seen good and bad from the same company- much depends on the site manager and his team.
Check out the HBF star system- 5 stars is the highest rating - that said one particular company is a 5 star builder but has a shocking reputation.

The problem stems from the housing chain system whereby people are desperate to get in rather than lose a sale …. So accept that remedials will be put right after completion …… match that with a builders year-end dash for cash and it’s a recipe for disaster.

Very good builder. I was the first surveyor on site when they started to build in the North East. Shotley Bridge some years back now. Their specification is much better than many others mentioned on here.
Yeah. My mate lives on the neighbouring Miller Estate and even he's admitted that ours is a much better spec. We've an ongoing issue with our boiler but that's it.

They're making massive profits aren't they? Why won't they exist?
The dividend yield they’ve historically paid has been huge until very recently. They’ve returned a lot of capital to shareholders.

Not that I’m suggesting they’ll go out of business like, but I can’t see how that would help them weather the storm.

Last edited:
Every building company in the NE seems to be involved up my way on the 3)4 estates going up around Burdon.
Story, Bellway, Taylor Wimpey etc. Thank feck they've sorted the road now, the feckin tailbacks were ridiculous. 7/8 months been inconvenienced.

They're making massive profits aren't they? Why won't they exist?
I loosely deal with them through work. They've recently been selling off land that they've bought, they slashed their dividend by 75% and finished 30% of the work force at the start of the year. They're horrendous to deal with from a professional point of view, no idea what they're like as a customer, but I wouldn't buy a house from them. Although I can see a lot of incentives coming next year to get the market going and more houses built.

Always like the Redrow ones. They seem to follow a 1930’s style which appeals to my personal taste and they look well made. At least down this way anyway - assume they operate back up home aswell. Don’t own one so can’t vouch for it personally but have 2 mates who own one and they had no complaints.

Story homes standard fixtures and fittings are streets ahead of the rest of them, but this is reflected in the price of the house.

I think the overall quality has dropped in recent years due to the supply chain crises and inflation hiking raw material prices. To maintain margins poor quality materials and bad finishings have been tolerated.

I know a few people in the new Avant homes site in Seaburn who’ve had quite a few problems, compared to the Avant homes site in Whitburn several years back or Miller homes in Bents where I know people have been very happy.

Surely it’s the location that’s critical rather than the builder ?
I ve seen good and bad from the same company- much depends on the site manager and his team.
Check out the HBF star system- 5 stars is the highest rating - that said one particular company is a 5 star builder but has a shocking reputation.

The problem stems from the housing chain system whereby people are desperate to get in rather than lose a sale …. So accept that remedials will be put right after completion …… match that with a builders year-end dash for cash and it’s a recipe for disaster.

Without a doubt location is/should be the first consideration, too often the site manager is given shite subbies materials etc because they are cheap, it's like most things with this type of work, reccomendations say more than anything else.

I think the overall quality has dropped in recent years due to the supply chain crises and inflation hiking raw material prices. To maintain margins poor quality materials and bad finishings have been tolerated.

I know a few people in the new Avant homes site in Seaburn who’ve had quite a few problems, compared to the Avant homes site in Whitburn several years back or Miller homes in Bents where I know people have been very happy.

Avant were bought out a few years ago and immediately changed the specifications on their builds. Anything built after 2021 will not be to the same standards.

Story homes standard fixtures and fittings are streets ahead of the rest of them, but this is reflected in the price of the house.
Ascent use decent stuff as well. I found this out when the cylinder was buggered on our front door. Looked online and they were over £100. It was replaced free thankfully.

We’re looking at starting the process of buying a new home again.

Initially we were against a new build but we’re now coming around to the idea of it.

Saw one with ‘Bellway’ in Ryhope but when we went to view they said it had sold.

I know some of these companies are notorious for poor builds so just wondering what everyone else’s experience are and which companies seem to have the best builds?

Cheers!
None
By something at least 10-15 years old
You might have all the snags sorted out

Back