NEPL 2022

I believe Durham identify cricketers at a young age and try and develop them along side their clubs.

I guess the NEPL role is to give younger players the chance to play competitive cricket to enhance their development. Plenty of teams have players under 21 being developed under this format

My question is why should clubs be forced to support the Durham system? Clubs should be able to make their own decisions based on the interests of their members. Being forced to play certain co-horts etc would never work

The best teams playing against each other is great. Promotion and relegation is really working and teams finding their standard. No real weak teams like years ago.

The last 10 years of the DSL save the same teams at the top and bottom years after year. It become stale a non competitive

I believe Durham identify cricketers at a young age and try and develop them along side their clubs.

I guess the NEPL role is to give younger players the chance to play competitive cricket to enhance their development. Plenty of teams have players under 21 being developed under this format

My question is why should clubs be forced to support the Durham system? Clubs should be able to make their own decisions based on the interests of their members. Being forced to play certain co-horts etc would never work

The best teams playing against each other is great. Promotion and relegation is really working and teams finding their standard. No real weak teams like years ago.

The last 10 years of the DSL save the same teams at the top and bottom years after year. It become stale a non competitive
I don’t think the DSL was non competitive mind at any stage.

Where it was very wrong for me was blocking progressive teams entering their league.

I don’t disagree
As a coach of a junior u11 side it’s hard work though as some of the top teams have 2 or 3 teams while other clubs struggle to get players or dont have teams, Not knocking what clubs do as they do a lot of coaching and it’s great what they do. I do worry though that in the future we may end up with only a few clubs having junior sides which can’t be good. It’s hard doing coaching with limited numbers which leads parents to move them to bigger teams for better coaching, it’s a vicious circle, In the old days 1 team per club kept thinks stable etc
Bit of a long post but for someone on the ground coaching weekly it’s hard work for some of the smaller clubs in vicinity of the bigger ones

I don’t disagree
As a coach of a junior u11 side it’s hard work though as some of the top teams have 2 or 3 teams while other clubs struggle to get players or dont have teams, Not knocking what clubs do as they do a lot of coaching and it’s great what they do. I do worry though that in the future we may end up with only a few clubs having junior sides which can’t be good. It’s hard doing coaching with limited numbers which leads parents to move them to bigger teams for better coaching, it’s a vicious circle, In the old days 1 team per club kept thinks stable etc
Bit of a long post but for someone on the ground coaching weekly it’s hard work for some of the smaller clubs in vicinity of the bigger ones
I think in this sense a proper organised loan system would be good. Say one of the premier league clubs have a couple of talented 15 year olds who aren’t quite ready for 1s or 2s at that standard, surely it would be beneficial for all concerned if those players could be loaned to a smaller club: 1.to gain valuable senior cricket experience and 2.to benefit the littler club who might be struggling players numbers wise.

I’ve always found it rediculous that some clubs have an abundance of youngsters who can’t get a game while others struggle to field a first XI

I think in this sense a proper organised loan system would be good. Say one of the premier league clubs have a couple of talented 15 year olds who aren’t quite ready for 1s or 2s at that standard, surely it would be beneficial for all concerned if those players could be loaned to a smaller club: 1.to gain valuable senior cricket experience and 2.to benefit the littler club who might be struggling players numbers wise.

I’ve always found it rediculous that some clubs have an abundance of youngsters who can’t get a game while others struggle to field a first XI
Totally agree. It’s even hard for smaller teams to field full teams at junior level whilst ithers have 2 or 3 teams and players who don’t get a game. Like I say not knocking what they do but bookmark this as in 10 years only 10 teams in north east will have 40 junior sides playing against each other. Not good in my opinion

Totally agree. It’s even hard for smaller teams to field full teams at junior level whilst ithers have 2 or 3 teams and players who don’t get a game. Like I say not knocking what they do but bookmark this as in 10 years only 10 teams in north east will have 40 junior sides playing against each other. Not good in my opinion

My lad plays under 11s and he was telling me Durham city are loaning players to local teams like Philly so they can turn a team out ? Thought that was a bit odd.

My lad plays under 11s and he was telling me Durham city are loaning players to local teams like Philly so they can turn a team out ? Thought that was a bit odd.
I run Philly under 11’s and yes we have borrowed players from Durham, 2 mega clubs in doorstep ie Lyon’s and Cls
Again I am not knocking them but hence my earlier post, things will get worse. Shame as at Phili we run coaching every week for 2 hours and have nucleus of 8 but just takes holidays or injuries and we are short for 8 a side under 11’s. Eventually some parents will take them elsewhere (already happened)

Last edited:
I run Philly under 11’s and yes we have borrowed players from Durham, 2 mega clubs in doorstep ie Lyon’s and Cls
Again I am not knocking them but hence my earlier post, things will get worse. Shame as at Phili we run coaching every week for 2 hours and have nucleus of 8 but just takes holidays or injuries and we are short for 8 a side under 11’s. Eventually some parents will take them elsewhere (already happened)

You’d think the kids and parents would be saying come on let’s pie off Durham (heard a lot of bad things about how poorly they treat the lesser kids) and move to a club where you can become part of a team like Phily

You’d think the kids and parents would be saying come on let’s pie off Durham (heard a lot of bad things about how poorly they treat the lesser kids) and move to a club where you can become part of a team like Phily
I would not want to take payers from other sides once they are there just think the option of having 2+ teams in a league needs looking at again not sure of perfect answer as these clubs do a lot just worry about long term prospect of junior leages

Any new kids out there wanting to try the game come to philly , I run a very inclusive team (boys and girls) with no stars and all players get the same chance

Last edited:
Washy and Burnmoor also right next to Philly. Although don’t think they have numerous teams at the same age groups.

Genuine question
Is the premier league producing what it should. Been debated on here before (I have stated im an old dsl fan) and I now appreciate standard at top level is v good

But how many Durham players are coming from premier league sides as the starter clubs

Durham have produced a few England players but not so sure how many direct result of premier league

I check results and it seems the same old same old are the main contributors (great players mind)

I’m not fishing as standard is very high just wondering if it needs tinkering a bit maybe 4 players have to be under 21, just to encourage development
Back to the original point, the top sides have very little emphasis on developing young players. The usual top 3 or 4, and some of the lower half too actually when I think of it, care only about winning. Not that there is anything really wrong with this, but there does become a point where clubs bringing lads on lose their incentive to do so.

Look at sacriston last season. bushnell, Whitfield and mcalindon played for them, pretty unsuccessfully and they were relegated. The season of exposure however clearly did them the world of good though with bushnell and mcalindon making FC debuts and Whitfield making runs in the 2nd XI. Come this season all pretty much have to leave to play top division cricket and the club that gave them an opportunity are in div 1, 3 players light from last year.

South North had a very good win yesterday in the national competition, beating Northern CC pretty comfortably. Sol Bell got another 100 - I think he is certainly one Durham should return to have a look at.

Going back to the junior point, it does make you wonder whether some parents of those at the bigger clubs are tempted to move their kids to the smaller junior setups to aid their development. There are kids playing U11 who should be playing U13s or even 15s for their development but can’t get in because of the sheer amount of good players at the clubs. Likewise I even know of a mate’s lad who’s in the county squad, but gets little game time for his club!

Going back to the junior point, it does make you wonder whether some parents of those at the bigger clubs are tempted to move their kids to the smaller junior setups to aid their development. There are kids playing U11 who should be playing U13s or even 15s for their development but can’t get in because of the sheer amount of good players at the clubs. Likewise I even know of a mate’s lad who’s in the county squad, but gets little game time for his club!
Too many parents with no 'history' of cricket in their families who'd prefer to be able to say their young 'un plays for one of the bigger clubs than move them to somewhere less fashionable to help them develop.

Thye could always limit each club only having 1 team per age group. This would then force the hands of parents to move to clubs where kids get a game.

Some clubs have 3 under 11 teams yet others struggle to get 1 team

Back